1 ... 1733 1734 1735 1736 1737 ... 1926
Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
3/24/23 9:22 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

Camel gave me smaller 10 cig packs they were really cool looking.  I got a bunch of them from cute young ladies passing them out at Road America at a Camel GT race in the 80's? Smoked 'em all up too.

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
3/24/23 9:31 p.m.
Beer Baron said:

In reply to mtn :

My knee-jerk reaction is "no", but I also feel like that's an emotional reflex and not necessarily fully considered.

Not speaking of you, but of me; the things in life that are on my list of regrets are the things that my heart never forgave me for, even though my engineering brain rationalize them 'til the cows come home. For me, if I were to move for something like that, I would likely feel a nagging uncomfortable feeling once the newness of the job and the move wore off and the job turned into a job. If it was a one-company town, it might matter, but saying "nah" to this job doesn't mean you can't keep looking for jobs in the same area. Turning 50% bitter this year has me more willing to say, "screw it, I'm trusting my instincts."

Obviously you will make the decision you are most comfortable with at the time and it will be a good decision no matter which way it goes. I just recommend that valuing your own emotional reactions can be beneficial to your own mental health.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
3/25/23 9:15 a.m.
Byrneon27 said:

Couple years ago I was more or less in your shoes, running and making successful someone's business that I had ownership stake in, they cared only about their ego and ability to use the business as a personal ATM. No respect, no compassion, and no appreciation ever came my way.  Getting out from under it cost me everything, my tools, my health, my passion, and every penny I had. I'm now a cog in a dealership machine soul sucking yes but not having a heartfelt involvement in your work makes it a lot easier to leave at 5 and move onto the important things. 

My situation is a bit different from that. Not good, but different.

I think he still runs it as a hobby. He likes the idea of being the head of a company that's a big happy family, and he takes good care of his employees. But he wants to daydream and talk about how wonderful the business could be, not make the difficult decisions and do the hard work to actually get it there. He's perfectly happy to have a small taproom where he can watch soccer and drink the best beer in town.

I don't feel taken advantage of or exploited. I feel... coddled and patronized.

It's like... being an old timey artist with a patron who asks me to compose a symphony. He wants something that can be performed in great opera houses and tour across land. People will see it and pay, and we'll share in the royalties from the tour. So I compose it and give a small exhibition in his garden which a few people come and listen to. And it's great Everyone says how wonderful it is. People weep at the beauty. We discuss what performers we could hire and what performance halls could be rented.  I am paid respectably from the funds of the family estate for doing the work of making such a fine composition.

And time passes...

I ask if I can hire some musicians and rent a performance hall. He says, "Absolutely! I trust your judgment fully to select the finest performers in the land!" I ask what budget I have to hire them. He waves dismissively and grumbles about cashflow, but doesn't give a number. Nothing happens. The music is forgotten.

He commissions a new symphony. It is beautiful. The cycle repeats.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
3/25/23 9:32 a.m.
matthewmcl said:
Beer Baron said:

In reply to mtn :

My knee-jerk reaction is "no", but I also feel like that's an emotional reflex and not necessarily fully considered.

Turning 50% bitter this year has me more willing to say, "screw it, I'm trusting my instincts."

Obviously you will make the decision you are most comfortable with at the time and it will be a good decision no matter which way it goes. I just recommend that valuing your own emotional reactions can be beneficial to your own mental health.

My instincts say: I really want to move to Richmond, VA. I think it would be a great fit for my wife and me. I'd love to be an easy 2-hour drive from my brother so I can be an uncle to my nieces. Richmond would be the right fit of big enough city to have the amenities and culture we enjoy, but quiet enough to have an easier pace and reasonable cost of living.

The job would be... a job. I wouldn't be proud of it. The daily work would be enjoyable and mentally stimulating. I'd feel like the end result of my work was not really making the world a better place though.

I'd be using the company to build my resume and get official certifications for dealing with regulated food and drug products to prepare myself to shift to a different position.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
3/25/23 10:14 a.m.
mtn said:

It is less evil today because of the laws that we have implemented. They definitely marketed to teenagers and children. I had a Joe Camel plush toy at one point. Why would they make such a thing? Why would an adult ever want that? 

I had a Spuds MacKenzie (Bud Light) plush toy, and a Budweiser Frog plush toy, so the alcohol companies did it too. I'm not a cigarette smoker, but I don't judge those who are while there's alcohol in the house and somehow think it's a better vice. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
3/25/23 10:26 a.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

I could go back a few years and find similar posts from you. He's never going to change, no matter how much you want him to. Back then the advice was "time to move on" it's still the same advice. Where would you be if you moved on then? 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
3/25/23 10:33 a.m.

Now that my week off is over I'm realizing what I coulda done with my free time blush. I think it always goes like that. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

In keeping with my road trip rant, berkeley recreational weed. Aside from smelling a skunk at every traffic light, every billboard in Michigan tells me where to get the stickiest of the icky. Honestly, I wouldn't even care if burnt weed didn't smell like Bigfoot's dick.

On top of that, weed is too berkeleying strong now man. My buddies on a recent get together got some edible Delta 8 and even the lightest strain taken at a half dose put a friend of mine on the moon. I've smoked the devil's lettuce a handful of times and I fear when I finally can partake the current stuff is gonna make me see samsara.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
3/25/23 11:10 a.m.
Steve_Jones said:

In reply to Beer Baron :

I could go back a few years and find similar posts from you. He's never going to change, no matter how much you want him to. Back then the advice was "time to move on" it's still the same advice. Where would you be if you moved on then? 

I've been actively job hunting this entire time. Solid leads have been either in locations that didn't work, would be a pay cut in higher cost-of-living areas, or just fell through.

The question is what positions I'm willing to accept where. How high do I set my sights? I've missed one opportunity when I first started job hunting that I now wish I'd moved on. But at the time, I hadn't yet figured out my objectives.

I've got an interview for a mega-brewery about an hour outside of Pittsburgh, PA. My gut says that's not the right fit for us location-wise.

Lots of opportunities at Atria in Richmond. I think I'd have a strong chance of landing a job there.

I've got a contact starting a distillery in Maryland that... would be a really ideal opportunity for me. But they're probably at least a year out.

It seems like more opportunities are opening up for head-brewer type positions on the East Coast now that we're getting into spring. Just sent in a resume for one around York, PA - 2 hours north of my brother.

I think I probably will apply to Atria. Get a conversation started. Applying for a job doesn't mean making a decision to definitely take it.

The owner is an idiot, but my job is really not that bad. We've made a few changes that have improved things. We got rid of my brewery assistant, which means I got a raise (up to my original salary as adjusted for inflation) and I'm spending more time on satisfying production tasks. I like the rest of the people I actually work with, and just shifting my expectations to "making cool beer for a fun little taproom" helps.

The problems for the business are the owner. The problems for my happiness are my own expectations.

My anxiety level at the moment is incredibly high because I got a vasectomy 2 weeks ago, and I've been sitting on my ass uncomfortable in that time span. I've slept like crap until about the past couple nights. This has been really bad for my overall mood and life satisfaction. As I heal up, sleep through the night without discomfort, and start getting back to doing things and moving around, my outlook on life is improving immensely.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
3/25/23 11:30 a.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

A vasectomy and lack of sleep would put most people in a bad mood, hopefully you're on the downhill part of that. York is nice, and close to a lot of other places. I'd take that over Pittsburgh any day. 

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
3/25/23 12:15 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:

In reply to Beer Baron :

A vasectomy and lack of sleep would put most people in a bad mood, hopefully you're on the downhill part of that. York is nice, and close to a lot of other places. I'd take that over Pittsburgh any day. 

I am on the downhill side. It's been slower going that I would have liked. I got a hematoma. No infection or anything over-concerning like that. But extended recovery time and more discomfort.

I think that area of PA or northern MD would be nice. I'd rather there than Pitt.

I think I'm going to tell the opportunity near Pitt "Thanks, but no thanks." It's closer to my brother than Columbus, but not appreciably enough to be worth it. It's 4.5 - 5 hours drive instead of 6.5 - 7. If I'm going to be move, and be more than a 3-hour drive, I want it to be like a fun town in North Carolina or something.

Went to leave work last night and something felt off with the car. It was pulling hard to the left. I decided it would be a smart idea to check the tires before starting my 40 miles commute at 80+mph on the expressway. I stopped at the base gas station which has 2 free to use air pumps. As soon as I got out, I could see the LF tire was low. It had 15psi in it sad. The other tires had between 30 and 40 psi. The door card specifies 30psi.

Then I realized that this is the first time I've checked the air pressure in the tires since I bought it. I bought it the first week of Dec 2022. It always drove a little funny. I feel ashamed that I didn't catch it earlier. I'm usually meticulous on vehicle maintenance.

This, combined with the engine seizing on my GF's Wrangler due to lack of oil, which was 100% my fault, is making me question my mechanical abilities. Such easy tasks that I failed sad

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/25/23 3:21 p.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:

Now that my week off is over I'm realizing what I coulda done with my free time blush. I think it always goes like that. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

In keeping with my road trip rant, berkeley recreational weed. Aside from smelling a skunk at every traffic light, every billboard in Michigan tells me where to get the stickiest of the icky. Honestly, I wouldn't even care if burnt weed didn't smell like Bigfoot's dick.

On top of that, weed is too berkeleying strong now man. My buddies on a recent get together got some edible Delta 8 and even the lightest strain taken at a half dose put a friend of mine on the moon. I've smoked the devil's lettuce a handful of times and I fear when I finally can partake the current stuff is gonna make me see samsara.

I'm not familiar with Delta8 vs THC, but my psychiatrist told me that he's ok with weed (edibles) but the dosage is the issue. Luckily with edibles it should be pretty easy to figure out, whereas with actual weed, according to my friend who works at a dispensary, the %'s that they give you don't really paint an accurate picture. He started going into a long monologue on terpenes and other stuff I've never heard of.  

I just wish I could partake, but it's too risky with my job, not to mention my ongoing job search. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/25/23 3:26 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:
mtn said:

It is less evil today because of the laws that we have implemented. They definitely marketed to teenagers and children. I had a Joe Camel plush toy at one point. Why would they make such a thing? Why would an adult ever want that? 

I had a Spuds MacKenzie (Bud Light) plush toy, and a Budweiser Frog plush toy, so the alcohol companies did it too. I'm not a cigarette smoker, but I don't judge those who are while there's alcohol in the house and somehow think it's a better vice. 

Funny you mention that. I slept with a Spuds plush for about the first 10 years of my life. He lived on my childhood dresser until my daughter was born. Now I think she's napping with him right this second. 

To me the difference is that I never knew Spuds was an advertisement, whereas it was always obvious that Joe Camel was. 

In any case, maybe I'm not the right person to opine on this. Since dad was in marketing, we had all sorts of promotional material in the house from his time with B&W and AB. My older brother even had a carton of Kools in his dresser from 13 to 18. We didn't realize it until we were moving him to college. Dad tried to smoke one, it just went up in flame (the cigarette was 30+ years old at that point). 

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
3/25/23 4:05 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

Pittsburgh is full! Wait, no. That's Florida.

wae
wae PowerDork
3/25/23 4:14 p.m.

Wife is out of town today and tomorrow as is #2 daughter.  #1 daughter had to work from 11-15 so I dropped her off and went home.  Daughter #3 wanted to see a movie at 1500 with a friend.  Right before we left the house to pick up the friend we lost power due to the wind.

Pick up friend, drop off at theater, get to #1's workplace right about 1500.  She comes out to tell me that she needs to work until 1600.  No problem. Movie doesn't let out until 1645 or so.

But der Scheißwagen won't start.  It does that sometimes on a hot start.  Usually it'll clear itself and be fine after a minute so I wait.  But nothing.

Meanwhile #3 texts me to say that there was some problem with the movie and they've issued refunds and I need to come get them.  Which of course I can't.

Get an Uber home.  Pop the garage door, since there still no power, and get the wife's car out of the garage.  Close the garage back up and go back through the house.

Her car is totally out of gas.  So go get gas and it's right on 1600.  #1's work is literally on the way so I stop in to pick her up.  And I'm still waiting.....

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/25/23 4:19 p.m.

Thank God for competent Pharmacists and techs. Last month's insulin: $9.99. This month: $125.00. Dafuq?

The tech went back ad forth on the computer. $9.99. Why the insane bump? "Health" insurance, that's why.

My intense distrust of everything healthcare increases.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/25/23 4:23 p.m.

March 25th...are you berkeleying kidding me:

Calm down it's clear wrapped.

Went to go pick up my bougie wheelbarrow and something felt very wrong.

*Sigh*

It's hard to tell from the angle, but the wheel is on the ground. I guess the tire was more than just low.

I can't find the air chuck for the air compressor. Luckily, the mechanic filled the spare up. Got the spare swapped on. It's old and I can't find the date code. The flat tire has a huge plug right in the tread channel. I'm guessing that is what failed. Most of the tires have plugs.

Welp, looks like I'm buying at least 2 new tires.

It's just money, right? sad

Also, WM can eat a satchel of richards

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/26/23 6:04 p.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) :

Any chance of finding decent used ones as a stop-gap?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/26/23 6:52 p.m.

I stabbed the distributor in correctly the first time.

Unfortunately, i convinced myself it was wrong, so i changed it....

Tomorrow is another day. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/27/23 8:39 a.m.

Back in the Obama days, Verizon got a  whole boatload of money from the federal government, via the state, the expand their "broadband" service to rural areas and promptly abandoned all their copper. No new lines, no repairs, no maintenance on their BS DSL routers, they just berkeleyed off. 

We now have had Verizon lines down blocking our road in both directions since 3am yesterday. They are completely unreachable, so the line crews can't do anything at all. My suggestion of "just cut out all the Verizon stuff, everybody on the street uses fiber anyway" was agreed upon by the crews here, but frowned upon by their supervisors. 

Add another city to the mountain of lawsuits against them for abandoning their copper. 

Someday I hope to have a company that can take millions in federal and state money to do absolutely berkeley all with. 

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
3/27/23 8:44 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

A pack of meth heads would have that copper cleaned up in no time.

wae
wae PowerDork
3/27/23 9:24 a.m.
The_Jed said:

In reply to RevRico :

A pack of meth heads would have that copper cleaned up in no time.

After seeing pictures of what their teeth look like, I propose that should be called a "snaggle" of meth heads.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/27/23 9:27 a.m.
RevRico said:

Back in the Obama days, Verizon got a  whole boatload of money from the federal government, via the state, the expand their "broadband" service to rural areas and promptly abandoned all their copper. No new lines, no repairs, no maintenance on their BS DSL routers, they just berkeleyed off. 

We now have had Verizon lines down blocking our road in both directions since 3am yesterday. They are completely unreachable, so the line crews can't do anything at all. My suggestion of "just cut out all the Verizon stuff, everybody on the street uses fiber anyway" was agreed upon by the crews here, but frowned upon by their supervisors. 

Add another city to the mountain of lawsuits against them for abandoning their copper. 

Someday I hope to have a company that can take millions in federal and state money to do absolutely berkeley all with. 

Comcast did that on our street. After a couple of tries to contact them and having to wade through their answering system, I cut the line and coiled it up at the base of the pole. When I moved 5 years later, that line was still coiled up at the base of the pole. 

1 ... 1733 1734 1735 1736 1737 ... 1926

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vKXpcDttDFAVJ7RqLVHhGp37QXLpmROjbax9Zqnzck5PslATag3gYSw1agPi00m5