1 ... 1736 1737 1738 1739 1740 ... 1929
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/3/23 11:20 a.m.

Saw the news yesterday evening and was thinking about going out to fill up some tanks & gas cans, too late it seems:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/02/business/opec-production-cuts/index.html

I hate it here sad

Well not "here" but where I live and work. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/5/23 12:13 p.m.

This is a political rant by its nature, but it is intended to be a rant at my BIL: 

You're 37 years old. You've been unemployed for about 5 to 8 years of the 15 years you've been out of college. Or maybe it is 14 years, you probably took a victory lap. Since college, you've lived on your own for... 2 years total? Maybe 3? Otherwise you've lived with your parents since then. 

You've become a meme. You're so predictable it isn't even funny. You found people who are willing to act like you're not an idiot, and they've roped you in. You don't care how stupid they sound.

Most of the time, it is easy enough for me to ignore you. But not now. Why? Because we're talking about the school board. I'll point out, you are not a taxpayer here - your parents are - nor do you have kids, let alone kids in this school district. But you live there, so you do get to vote, but Holy Cow are you easily manipulated. You don't care if they aren't willing to acknowledge that they're cherrypicking data, and you won't acknowledge it either. You don't care that they're spewing hateful rhetoric, because they're nice to you and let you participate, because they know you're good for a donation regularly. 

But you know what? Claiming that your group, who you insist is an independent non-partisan group despite campaigning exclusively with one faction, lost because their opponents had a better spot on the ballot? That is a level of delusion that is sad, even for you. Ignoring any political stances, the candidates that you were campaigning for and volunteering for, for some bizarre reasons, are IDIOTS. Taking out all of the politics, all of the history we're teaching or not teaching or not telling the full story or what, taking out all of the test scores for math and science... I wouldn't trust those folks to be able to find the correct meeting rooms. They're making decisions based on the most incredibly biased and incomplete information - and it is so easy to see. That is why they lost by landslides. But sure. Run with ballot placement. 

Edit: your/you're; there/their/they're corrections

NickD
NickD MegaDork
4/5/23 12:22 p.m.

The Yaris needs a right front wheel bearing replaced. I already had a bearing and hub, because I ordered two bearings and hubs when I replaced the left front one last fall. But, I decided to get a snap ring and a wheel speed sensor, rather than fight to get them out in one piece. There's also something funky with the parking brake, so I ordered both rear cables. I get everything from Rock Auto, and no matter which brands I picked, I could not get all the parts to come from one warehouse. The snap ring and speed sensor were coming from Warehouse A, the parking brake cables were coming from Warehouse B. Fine, I bite the bullet and pay shipping twice. Monday, the first box of parts arrives and it contains the snap ring and one parking brake cable. Yesterday, the second box shows up with the wheel speed sensor and the other cable. Huh?!

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
4/5/23 1:17 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

Hey, look on the bright side. At least they lost

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Dork
4/5/23 1:45 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

This is my main complaint with using rock auto in Canada. If the parts I need can't come from th same warehouse, shipping gets REAL expensive real quick. Also why, as much as it sucks because they usually have the small items I need, ordering from Pelican parts sucks. Shipping is never cheap to cross the border to begin with and every order has been hit with an extra duty fee at the border which prolongs shipping time so things can't get repaired.  

NickD
NickD MegaDork
4/5/23 1:49 p.m.

In reply to DjGreggieP :

The double-shipping is a hassle, but here in the US, it's not too bad. Pretty much any time I try to get anything from a regular part store, even for relatively common vehicles, it'll be two weeks before they can get it and the price is double or triple what Rock Auto sells it for. I'm just baffled at how I have two parts from Warehouse A and two parts from Warehouse B, and the parts show up shipped as A-B, A-B and not A-A, B-B

wae
wae PowerDork
4/5/23 1:57 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Their warehousing system is definitely weird.  I've had carts before where I'll have items 1, 2, 3, and 4 all coming from a single warehouse.  When I add item 5 to the cart - that has the little truck icon on it - suddenly I'll have 1,3,4, and 5 from A and 2 is coming from B.

I've never had them bundle different things like that though!

wae
wae PowerDork
4/5/23 2:15 p.m.

Last Tuesday I took der Scheißwagen in to the (better) dealer for some emissions recall extended warranty work.  Things escalated a bit while they were working on it - all covered under the warranty, which is good - so I've been in one of their loaners for a little over a week now.  At first I didn't find it to be very comfortable but then I got my head wrapped around the fact that an E350 has a different seating position than a GL350 and I was able to adjust the seat in such a way that it's not a bad place to spend some time.  I like the way it looks, I like how quiet it is, it's got more than enough power to press you back in to the seat, and overall I would absolutely consider buying one of these if I didn't need to tow and carry the occasional 4x8 sheet. 

There is one thing about it, however, that I absolutely hate:  When you first get in and when you get out, it makes this little two-note sound.  Just a little *bum* *bum*.  But it's the same two-notes that are the first two notes in the Night Court theme song.  So for the last 8 days I have had the Night Court theme song absolutely stuck in my head and I can't get it out.

Okay, to be fair, it may not be the EXACT same notes, but it's a similar enough sound.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/5/23 2:55 p.m.

In reply to wae :

I didn't make that connection before.  Not sure if thanks smiley

One of my co-workers has a text-notification sound like one of the sound effects of Super Mario 3.  So I have SMB3 music running through my head all day every day.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/5/23 3:35 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

When I hear millennials getting bagged on, I think, hey, that's not fair. I know plenty that don't come close to the stereotype. Then I think to the stories of your BIL, and say, yeah...there's a bit of truth in those memes.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/5/23 4:30 p.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to mtn :

When I here millenials getting bagged on, I think, hey, that's not fair. I know plenty that dont come close to the stereotype. Then I think to the stories of your BIL, and say, yeah...theres a bit of truth in those memes.

They exist in every age group. They just slowly piss everyone off so eventually they don't really talk to anyone and their circle is just the one guy left who can put up with them, and the rest of people do their best to ignore them. 

This sounds really mean, reading it. I don't mean it to be. I just want him to wake up and be honest with himself, because he's hurting his parents and his sister.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
4/5/23 11:34 p.m.

Censorship! 

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
4/6/23 9:00 a.m.

Nothing like hitting the "file" button on your tax software to suddenly remember ALL the other stuff you had planned to write off. Dammit.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/6/23 12:49 p.m.

I tripped this morning on the way to the back door to let the dogs outside. I fell into a shelf and knocked one of my favorite clocks off the top shelf. It hit my forearm and dug a nice hole in it before landing on the hassock and then the floor. At least my arm and the hassock saved the clock from major damage. 

This clock. 

20190105_171919.jpg

My youngest son just called. Apparently, between the top shelf and my arm, the clock also smashed the screen in the TV. angry

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/6/23 1:06 p.m.

This place constantly finds new little changes to make to cause working here to suck a bit more than yesterday. 

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/6/23 2:11 p.m.

I nearly get hit by a car every time I ride my bike on the road. I wear bright clothes and have the appropriate lights.

The good news is that it looks like they're putting some traffic control measures in on the residential streets I'm riding on.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/6/23 2:37 p.m.

Oh, and went to change the whole house water filter, and saw the hot water heater is leaking a bit. So, that'll have to get replaced soon.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/6/23 2:37 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) :

Target fixation.  The eyes are drawn to the bright, moving colors and the hands follow.

When I surveyed roads, bright yellow or orange. I would mutter, "Are you berkers AIMING at me?" as I watched their trajectory shift, ever so slightly, towards me.

GameboyRMH
4/6/23 2:54 p.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) :

Target fixation.  The eyes are drawn to the bright, moving colors and the hands follow.

When I surveyed roads, bright yellow or orange. I would mutter, "Are you berkers AIMING at me?" as I watched their trajectory shift, ever so slightly, towards me.

I tend to wear dark colors (but with reflectors & lights) and haven't had any problems...

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
4/6/23 3:01 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

This place constantly finds new little changes to make to cause working here to suck a bit more than yesterday. 

We must work at the same place.

GameboyRMH
4/6/23 3:05 p.m.
jimbob_racing said:
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

We must work at the same place.

I had the same thought for a second. So damn close to quitting right now.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
4/6/23 3:30 p.m.

My coworker: "You work for GM. Why don't you buy GM vehicles?"

Also my coworker: "My truck just turned 800 miles and needs valve lifters already and they're backordered."

We also have a salesman with a Bolt that's on it's third battery pack before 3000 miles, a customer's truck that got towed in and had the engine lock up with under 200 miles on it, a truck with a 6.2L that rod-knocked itself to death for no apparent reason with 12,000 miles on it, and a C8 Corvette that the transmission has exploded on before it hit 4-digit miles. Yeah, I'll pass. I wouldn't buy a lightbulb from these jokers.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
4/6/23 3:54 p.m.

Got a picture from a lady at church yesterday to me and another deacon. "I'm sure you've seen this already" and it's one of the two sinks for our ladies in our congregation of 250 people with a fist-sized triangle gone from the porcelain. It was nearly 1/2" thick.

I asked her to tell the ladies to stop dropping anvils in the sinks, and have to replace that with the quickness before Sunday.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
4/6/23 3:55 p.m.
NickD said:

My coworker: "You work for GM. Why don't you buy GM vehicles?"

Also my coworker: "My truck just turned 800 miles and needs valve lifters already and they're backordered."

We also have a salesman with a Bolt that's on it's third battery pack before 3000 miles, a customer's truck that got towed in and had the engine lock up with under 200 miles on it, a truck with a 6.2L that rod-knocked itself to death for no apparent reason with 12,000 miles on it, and a C8 Corvette that the transmission has exploded on before it hit 4-digit miles. Yeah, I'll pass. I wouldn't buy a lightbulb from these jokers.

My Bolt has 77K on its recall-replaced battery pack and shows no signs of letting up yet.

1 ... 1736 1737 1738 1739 1740 ... 1929

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pUzXP7T8ogNkg7PALQxWVNfW3FcaRDH1t2tBF8M3oBWNI6icCA7zZcDHDjo6ZsuK