1 ... 204 205 206 207 208 ... 292
84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
1/2/22 12:05 p.m.

First Cars & Coffee of the year in Cincinnati. Thank god they had a fire pit going.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/2/22 3:49 p.m.

In reply to 84FSP :

Pete. (l33t FS)
1/2/22 4:16 p.m.
classicJackets (FS) said:

2+ years ago, when we moved into this house the 2nd floor bathroom got redone - plumbing completely replaced (nasty, old-as-berkeley galvanized steel be gone). That bathroom is the only plumbing on the 2nd floor, and the hot water pressure has always been awful. Like, make you want to move bad. Today I OPENED THE SHUTOFF VALVE IN THE BASEMENT more and got life-changing results via increased water pressure. 2+ years and the answer was opening a valve.

A friend in high school lived in a rental for years and the hot water based baseboard heat always sucked, and got worse after someone took a shower.

A couple years before they moved out, someone noticed that the water heater was set to "vacation"...

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
1/2/22 8:39 p.m.

Middle brother asked me to help look at their 2011 Flex cause the front end was wobbly. Got it up in the air and found a bad tie rod end and... lca bushings on both sides were completely gone. Like I'm not sure how it was drivable. Not good because that's their only car.

The win is: Oreillys had the stuff in stock and, despite frozen nuts on all the ball joints, we were able to get it buttoned up by dinner time.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
1/2/22 9:05 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

I only drove 115 miles today.

But i did it in my 70 duster, with tne windows down and the radio up. Man it felt good to splatter bugs on the windshield. 

And now, a week later, heavy rain & flood watches & wind gusts up to 38 mph with a high of 44, dropping to 35 by 2pm according to NWS.

As I said, nothing like NC in the winter.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
1/3/22 2:37 p.m.

My Expedition started in 10°F weather this morning with no problem, and rolled over 214k on my way home. Nice!

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/3/22 4:12 p.m.

Wasn't sure if today was a company holiday - 2022 calendar not uploaded yet - noticed that boss had a few meetings scheduled so I headed in.

Crickets interrupted only by tumble weeds rolling by cheeky

Daughter #One came home early from school claiming to be sick (given and passed COVID test as soon as she got home)...daughter #Two caught wind of daughter #1's shenanigans and suddenly became deathly ill herself (given and passed COVID test as soon as she got home).

We're now making turkey soup from scratch (life is good) and I'll get the fireplace going shortly (life is good) and Mrs. Reven' starts a new job tomorrow after being out of work for two years making 35% more than she ever has before (life is good).

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/3/22 5:05 p.m.

I miscounted how many 1x4x8s I needed yesterday for my little project, so I stopped at Lowes on the way home today to pick up two more. I am driving the C7 Corvette. 

I walk out carrying the boards and as I get closer to the car I notice two other guys loading their stuff start eyeing me. I walk up, open the hatch and casually stick the boards in and shut it. As I get in I see one guy has turned away, but the other one is still staring at me, like he's thinking "did I really see that?"

Once you find out a 10 foot piece of PVC pipe fits, lumber is a breeze.

Pete. (l33t FS)
1/3/22 5:21 p.m.

In reply to Shadeux :

have heard that the seats have good lumber support.

Today's win:

cmcgregor (Forum Supporter)
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
1/3/22 6:52 p.m.

Combination rant/win:

Remind me to never agree to replace a Subaru ball joint again. 

In reply to cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) :

I'll take "broke the pinch bolt" for $1000, Alex.

Pete. (l33t FS)
1/3/22 8:15 p.m.

I did exactly one Subaru ball joint, in 2001, and it resulted in the plastic exploding in my face after much heat was required on the bench.  Blew my glasses and hat off, spent fifteen minutes rinsing my eyes out, had some neat looking facial burns.

I saw a Subaru ball joint tool for sale a couple years ago and immediately bought. I joked that it would ensure that I would never have to do one.

Did five ball joints and loaned out the tool three times.  Best purchase ever.

It looks like an on car wheel bearing tool but it threads on the ball joint stud and pulls the joint from the upright.  Then you can use a die grinder to clear the rust from the inside of the knuckle (that grows where the groove for the pinch bolt is) and the new ball joint slips right in.

1/3/22 8:43 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) :

I'll take "broke the pinch bolt" for $1000, Alex.

Yeah. Then drilled it poorly, then broke 2 breaker bars on different nuts trying to get the knuckle off the car, then had to go buy more tools to get the remnants of the bolt and the ball joint itself out...not my finest moment as a mechanic.

1/3/22 9:08 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Well I wish I knew that existed a few days ago.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/3/22 10:38 p.m.

The girl came back last night for dinner and made fun of me for not having a coffee maker. I offered to buy one and she said not to bother, she'd gotten an extra for Christmas.  This morning I got this message:

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/3/22 10:43 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

AWWWW YISSSSSSSS

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/3/22 11:11 p.m.

Can't help ya buddy.  I would probably reply with a sarcastic answer thus freaking her out and ruining the moment.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/3/22 11:20 p.m.

Wanna post an address so we can send ya some serious Gourmet E36 M3 in celebration?

Pete. (l33t FS)
1/4/22 11:26 a.m.

Smoov

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
1/4/22 11:31 a.m.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
1/4/22 11:37 a.m.

Kiddo got a model engine for Christmas and put it together yesterday. Little four cylinder cross-flow model that spins and has LEDs that trigger off a little distributor. He's so stoked and can't wait to show it off to his buddies. Happy Dad moment for sure.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/4/22 11:55 a.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

The girl came back last night for dinner and made fun of me for not having a coffee maker. I offered to buy one and she said not to bother, she'd gotten an extra for Christmas.  This morning I got this message:

My not-knowing-how-to-read-signals ass would have said "surely you've got a place to plug it in at home."

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/4/22 12:03 p.m.

Wally: "Hey girl, you bring the coffee and I'll bring the sugar."

Aaaahhhh Yeeeaaahhh!!!!

;^)

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/4/22 12:30 p.m.
CAinCA said:

Wally: "Hey girl, you bring the coffee and I'll bring the sugar."

Aaaahhhh Yeeeaaahhh!!!!

;^)

Pics, or it didn't happen.devil

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
1/4/22 12:39 p.m.

Oh hell yeah!  Here's my second upvote!

See the source image

1 ... 204 205 206 207 208 ... 292

You'll need to log in to post.