Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
3/28/22 6:41 p.m.

As near as I can tell, somebody made a mistake In my favour by about $300

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
3/28/22 8:39 p.m.
classicJackets (FS) said:

On Tuesday the wife and I saw an amazing house "coming soon" Thursday. We love our current home but are always looking around.. We were able to get pre-approved and see the house (gorgeous, 1926 brick build with 2 full bathrooms - fallen into some disrepair) today, and submit an offer today. Not sure if we'll get it, but we hope we do - even though it will mean a lot of suffering and hard work through the next few years. 

Offer was accepted! Appraisal is our only potential hiccup now.  The house needs just about everything. Luckily already has copper plumbing, and some (all?) Romex in place of the original wiring. Long driveway, 2 car garage.. and a tall/big enough basement for me to have a small area to set up a small workspace inside. I will have a lot of reading building code to do so that we can do everything with permits and by the books. 

Pic bc we are crazy excited!

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
3/28/22 9:10 p.m.

In reply to classicJackets (FS) :

Beautiful!!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/28/22 9:29 p.m.

Looks like nice bones, and an interesting neighborhood. Good luck!

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
3/28/22 10:23 p.m.

Oooh, I am jealous. What a neat looking house.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/29/22 12:38 a.m.

We picked up SWMBO's vintage Roper stove from the 50s. I got a thumbs up from a dude hauling it home. Its mint. The owner took care of it.

wae
wae PowerDork
4/1/22 10:17 a.m.

Last night was the opening night of my daughter's high school drama club performance.  She is currently a Junior and I have been waiting for this moment since about halfway through her Freshman year.  Back then, the club was going to put on Shrek and she got the role of Fiona.  The show was scheduled for March 27th.  2020.  At the time, it was going to be rescheduled once the curve was flattened, but like everything else it got E36 M3canned.  They were going to try to do another performance last year, but they just couldn't work it out.  But finally, last night, the show finally went on!  Granted, there were varying levels of singing talent (I don't understand why they try to do musicals when Arthur Miller has such an extensive catalog, but whatever), but it was so rewarding to finally get to experience that!

As an added bonus, the set piece that I built for the production didn't collapse!  It turns out that it's hard to install a chain link fence when the fence posts are made of PVC and not sunk in to the ground.

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/1/22 1:36 p.m.

Offer was accepted!

Congratulations! 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/1/22 1:40 p.m.

15 years ago my wife lowered her standards enough to say "i do". 

It's been a good run!

Heres to hoping she doesn't grow any standards or taste for another 30!

Scott_H
Scott_H Reader
4/1/22 4:26 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

I picked up a 1953 Frigidaire (by GM) a few years ago.  Tore it apart, rewired it, added new insulation, replaced the door seal. I made new shelves out of perforated steel because beer bottle don't stand up very well on the wire shelves it had.  Painted it red and it is awesome.  It worked great for about 6-7 years then the thermostat stuck on.  I caught it before the compressor burned up.  Found a modern programmable one I could wire in and it has worked flawlessly for the two years since then still with the OE 69 year old compressor.  It's really small by today's standards but is perfect as a drink (beer) fridge in the garage.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/1/22 5:13 p.m.

In reply to Scott_H :

I grew up with that fridge.  Little extra advantage to an old one like that, you don't have to heat the garage due to all the electricity flowing through that indestructible old thing.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/1/22 9:30 p.m.

Went to the Lego store early. New delorean bttf kit came out today. Snapped one up and saw a lady standing in line holding a 1966 batmobile. Asked where she got it. Pointed me out. Normally there's no discounts on limited kits, but apparently that wasn't the rule today. Swmbos Disney badge basically got me that Lego batmobile for free- and saved me tax on the delorean. $170 later I had a Lego delorean, a Lego batmobile, and a couple of free pack ins. And now the delorean is sold out. It's not all bad. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
4/1/22 9:48 p.m.

In reply to Scott_H :

My dad had an avocado green one he bought in 1970 that ran until about 2013.  It too had that GM logo that I looked at for over 40 years.

GM - Mark of Excellence    

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
4/2/22 12:43 p.m.

Managed to finally find the root cause of El Rabbitto's fueling issues yesterday with the help of DTRGuy.  Managed to increase global pressure with shims from 42PSI up to the 70PSI recommended.  Also found a bad relay causing my Lambda adjustment to not function.  Runs super rowdy now.  Next steps are to play with cam retard and ignition advance.  

Only one issue when we pulled windshield to replace the seal and found crusty rusty ish in the frame.  It's getting tig'd up this week and should have it on track next Sunday for the first Autox event of the Southern Ohio Region.

Fresh 255/40/23 Hoosiers are mounted and the fresh helmet arrived...  So close to being back to Autox...

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
4/2/22 8:06 p.m.

Everyone in my state got checks in the mail, an  "auto insurance rebate." $x for each car insured during the month of October.

Just happened that, in the flow of buying one and getting ready to sell others, we had a bunch of cars registered and insured in the driveway that month.

wae
wae PowerDork
4/3/22 8:14 p.m.

I'm currently sitting with my wife in a tiny jazz bar called Schwartz's Point listening to a 3 piece blues band while drinking a margarita.  Doesn't get much better.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/4/22 8:33 a.m.

I put on pants without a drawstring today for the first time since my surgery!

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
4/4/22 4:13 p.m.

I had a doctor's appointment today, and got some counseling scheduled and some things off my chest. 

I'm hoping things will brighten up as a result...

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/4/22 7:51 p.m.

With the 2021 X3e is starting its fourth week of this shop visit, now waiting for a cylinder head replacement under warranty at 22,000 miles for what started as a CEL issue, there is some good news.

With a fairly sparing use of car guy math, taking into account the tax credits received and pending, BMW CCA rebates and the price of the X3e in the used car market, I'm essentially recovering the purchase price of the X3e and applying it to a new 2022 X5 45e PHEV, with an estimated delivery in 8-10 weeks.  I'm calling that a win.

For the increased cost of the X5, I'm getting a 6 cylinder B58 engine as opposed to the 4 cylinder B46, and a bigger battery providing almost twice the (admittedly minimal-- 30 miles) electric only range.  Although economy numbers for the X5 work out worse for the PHEV than the gas only version, things still work out well in my use case, as even with the 12-15 mile range on the X3, a third of the miles put on that vehicle were electric only.

The X3e was a great car, if only it wasn't on track to spend 2+ months of the 16 months I've owned it in the shop.

Some odd supply chain/assembly niggles though-- $150 credit at delivery for the lower tailgate being manual only instead of the usual expected standard electric operation, and there is no touchpad incorporated in the iDrive controller.  Definitely won't miss the latter.

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/4/22 8:56 p.m.

After a bit of a mess due to lack of cars at Avis today they end up giving me a 2021 Civic. Not sure if the trim level but not the base level. It has aluminum wheels, touch screen and paddle shifters for sport mode. I put a couple hundred miles on the car today. First off it got 38 mpg. I wasn't being nice. 80 on the freeway and spirited driving in town. That is impressive. Second the car was really fun to drive, firm but not unpleasant, snappy, handled well. I would absolutely consider one of these as a daily driver. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/4/22 9:01 p.m.

Bought a .50 cal ammo can at Hazzard Fraught. They are now pushing $20. Oof. But I need one to charge the parkflyer's LiPo batteries safely indoors. LiPos can and have burnt entire houses down.

Glancing around the garage, I realize that I have amassed a pile of cheap, second hand toolboxes. I also have an ammo can filled with tubing benders and cutters.

Shuffling tools around, I now have an empty ammo can and less empty toolboxes on the shelf. The new can is going back.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
4/5/22 11:27 a.m.

On Tuesday the wife and I saw an amazing house "coming soon" Thursday. We love our current home but are always looking around.. We were able to get pre-approved and see the house (gorgeous, 1926 brick build with 2 full bathrooms - fallen into some disrepair) today, and submit an offer today. Not sure if we'll get it, but we hope we do - even though it will mean a lot of suffering and hard work through the next few years. 

Offer was accepted! Appraisal is our only potential hiccup now.  The house needs just about everything. Luckily already has copper plumbing, and some (all?) Romex in place of the original wiring. Long driveway, 2 car garage.. and a tall/big enough basement for me to have a small area to set up a small workspace inside. I will have a lot of reading building code to do so that we can do everything with permits and by the books. 

Pic bc we are crazy excited!

House fell through - with our % down, etc, the bank felt it was too decrepit to be financed (lol). We thought that's how you get in with a good investment!

Still a win - we shot our shot, and it didn't work out - and we'll get our money back.

It also made us realize that with how "okay" we were with spending the amount of money it would cost to do the whole house thing, maybe we could be less stingy/cheap with our regular life. Attitude adjusted.

2 major wins in one go, even if it means we don't get a cool house. We love ours already.

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/5/22 3:00 p.m.

That's a great attitude to take. Sometimes things just aren't meant to be.

After removing the aftermarket remote keyless entry system from my Tahoe PPV, the factory alarm was still going off whenever I used the key to unlock the door.

Apparently it's a GM thing to where you need to use the keyless entry fob to unlock the doors otherwise it will honk the horn and flash the lights. Every. Single. Time. This is my first GM product I've ever owned and I didn't know that.

Anyways, I found that my truck has the extended keyless entry option and that there was a good possibility that I could just buy a factory replacement fob and get it to work. I had to buy the DIC buttons and then the remote but it works perfectly now! It was about $40 for both the DIC menu buttons and the fob. I was able to program the fob through the instrument cluster menu. Why the PO didn't do this is beyond me.

No more dirty looks from people that think I'm trying to steal my own vehicle from the parking garage lol

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/5/22 6:19 p.m.

Before SWMBO and I got the house we have, we found a nice house in a different town. Really,  wanted it.  Someone out bid us by $2,000. I told her, in retrospect ,  I was glad we didn't get it.

A block away  was the city sewage plant.

1 ... 216 217 218 219 220 ... 291

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CuT9fAHS1W2M5rew3pth7Akg1U51Hop3nZmuoPeeecturaKRXSrEBZFQZMW7clt1