1 ... 228 229 230 231 232 ... 292
Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/26/22 4:23 p.m.

This is definitely bigger than a minor win, but I'm in Kermit-arms mode and trying to improve my long-term threads:actions ratio, so it just gets a post here. Well, two posts, haha.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/26/22 10:19 p.m.

In reply to Jesse Ransom :

Holy crap! That's fantastic!  So much space-envy right now.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
7/26/22 10:59 p.m.

In reply to Jesse Ransom :

Very cool indeed.

And I love the phrase "Kermit arms mode".laugh

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
7/26/22 11:50 p.m.

The situation isn't a win at all, but the best 19.99 I ever spent was on this little Walmart brand shop vac. For some reason we hauled it to the apartment even though we've never had a single use for it here. That is until tonight. When it rains here, it floods. We're on the ground level. This evening it was sideways rain coming in from the north onto our little patio. Apparently said patio is a funnel into the living room. Once I stopped the water from getting into the funnel by way of the rug on the patio and some kids toys, the little wet-vac-that-could made quick work of removing the living room lake. By some other miracle, the kids hadn't left any expensive electronics on the floor, and it water didn't make it to the new rug. As far as floods go, this one was the easiest to manage. Gotta be grateful for something. 

*edit to follow up. Rain stopped, and I still had time to tear down, clean, and re-skin the drums. The shells all have stories in them but the deep transparent green cleans up real nice. The coated powerstroke 3 is a win by itself. That little 20" bass drum is good. Pinstripes on the 10" and 14" and a CS dot on the new snare. Too bad by the time I was done it was 11pm and I'm not a complete dick to the new neighbors. Also, a related win: drum lessons start tomorrow evening. From a real teacher. Technique!

LifeIsStout
LifeIsStout GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/27/22 5:02 p.m.

I'll put this in the bigger win category, but I got a promotion this week at work to move from a level 2 position to Senior. I started in the department as a level 1 about 4 years ago so I've been able to move up the ranks fairly quickly. There is one more level above this and that's a principal (and currently there is only 1 in the entire company).  I also had my annual review back in March, got a 14% raise at that point (they doubled the pool for review rewards), the promotion was an additional 10% and my bonus moved from 10% up to 15% of my salary (and I can actually earn up to a 150% of bonus). This comes at a great time with my partner looking to change the company she works for so it give's us additional breathing room.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/28/22 1:24 p.m.

iATN membership paid for itself today.

I never would have thought that a Dorman fuel pump control module could cause the ECM to wipe its keep-alive memory, but here we are, and I knew where to look on a certain '08 Avalanche before I started testing.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
7/28/22 1:56 p.m.

I have been listing a lot of my shelf-taking garage stuff for sale recently, and just gave away a bunch of leftover 280zx parts to just try to free up some space. My wife was out with me the other night looking (my trainwreck of) stuff over, and basically suggested we pass off the kiddo to the grandparents for a weekend, pull everything I own out of the garage, and start fresh with shelves/etc and only putting back what I need. I found a great woman.

With her prompting/inspiration, I've already re-done my nut/bolt storage into something significantly smaller that can be put away, and I'll keep selling/trashing stuff out of the garage that I have no immediate use for. I am excited for some kind of mini-transformation!

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/28/22 2:31 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

iATN membership paid for itself today.

I never would have thought that a Dorman fuel pump control module could cause the ECM to wipe its keep-alive memory, but here we are, and I knew where to look on a certain '08 Avalanche before I started testing.

Dorman.  That's all that needs to be said.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
7/28/22 2:36 p.m.

I got rid on the hamster today to a good home, leaving only tje gerbil rescue. 

Never thought my career in mental health crisis intervention would include rehoming pet rodents voluntarily.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/28/22 4:50 p.m.

Replaced a "spider injector" in a Chevy truck in 25 minutes.

This is a win.  Even though it was the second time I had it apart today, and the FIFTH time in a month.

Getting a lot of practice, at least.  It is amazing what does not have to come off to get the upper plenum off.

barefootcyborg5000
7/29/22 12:59 a.m.

Sold an unused piece of guitar equipment for 90% of asking! Which will give me funds for a new cymbal, which will allow me to then sell these cheap cymbals that came with the kit, which should fund another decent cymbal or two. It's a chain of awesome and all I need to do is be patient. 

TL;DR I get to buy a 20" K custom dark. If you know, you know. Or maybe a 22" A heavy. Decisions decisions, and none of them wrong. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/29/22 11:43 a.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

Pix of drums?

barefootcyborg5000
7/29/22 12:07 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

bonus bass amp and doggo. The red scarf and tshirt muffling is because apartment. 

7/29/22 12:11 p.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

Nice kit. When you said green, I was envisioning metalflake.

barefootcyborg5000
7/29/22 12:30 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

I wish. I like metal flake. Hate chrome though. I didn't pick the color, but a found the kind of deal you can't let go so here we are. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
7/31/22 3:07 p.m.

There's a new Harbor Freight at the exit just north of my house.  Not sure if this is a win or a rant.

7/31/22 3:13 p.m.

Pulled the Coleman Powermate 5kW generator out of its hiding spot, where it's been sitting untouched since Jan 2019. Multiple wins:

1. it wasn't landlocked in the garage!
  2. the carb wasn't full of ethanol corrosion!
  3. It started on the first pull!
  4. all outlets worked!
84FSP
84FSP UberDork
7/31/22 8:43 p.m.

Taught my 6yr old daughter to ride a bike sans training wheels today.  She hit it like a boss!

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/31/22 8:53 p.m.

My two-year-old was showing interest in potty training, but not a lot of interest. I tried to encourage him by telling him he'd be three soon, and three-year-olds usually use the potty chair. The crafty little booger immediately saw  his way out and siezed the upper hand, declaring, "I'll be three when I use the potty." He refused to back down. Potty training was off.

He turned three a week ago and, much to my surprise, is now regularly using the potty chair. Just like that. Apparently he is a man of his word.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/2/22 4:05 a.m.

The blown brakes on the Focus was a hose, not a hardline.

llysgennad
llysgennad HalfDork
8/3/22 1:08 p.m.

I also blew a brake line last night. Why is this a minor win, you may ask?

Because I was driving at 20mph, half a mile from home. Instead of my 16yo driving 30 miles of interstate today to pick up cousins.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/3/22 2:10 p.m.

For the very first time in my adult life, I live in a home where the people/bathroom ratio is 1:1. No more waiting my turn to poop. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/3/22 2:12 p.m.

In reply to DarkMonohue :

Kids are shady. Mine used to use his looks to con strangers out of snacks on a regular basis. We fed him PLENTY, but man he was always up for someone else's food. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/3/22 3:04 p.m.
Appleseed said:

The blown brakes on the Focus was a hose, not a hardline.

Bah! It was a hard line. But I was able to get it and the bleeder out, despite 19 years of rust. Mangled the bleeder, but I still consider it a win because the whole screw ended up in my hand, instead of lodged in the wheel cylinder.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/4/22 1:35 p.m.

Helping the adjacent teen fix their car is taking a long time. I'm unfamiliar with the vehicle and trying to teach general things to them.

We did find out that the transmission doesn't have to come all of the way out of a Scion TC in order to change the clutch, pressure plate and slave cylinder.

Clutch was done-done. 

The flywheel wasn't burned or scored.

New parts are in, tonight we try to get everything back together and get this thing out of my driveway.

1 ... 228 229 230 231 232 ... 292

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2zzuSVuxSvJoI3unJJV7ZtwWtJj1C2XKMmwh7bbBXK8takk3Q3ofCuPP2uHgbpwT