Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
10/10/19 10:04 a.m.

Plan is to mount an electric winch to the floor in my shop to pull dead cars in.

I want nutsert style threaded holes in tge concrete so i can bolt it down when needed, and store somewhere on a shelf when not.

What is the right hardware/method/ erc here? 

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
10/10/19 10:15 a.m.

Boy, I need to learn to slow down when I read topic titles.  Nearly got me excited.....

tomtomgt356
tomtomgt356 GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/10/19 10:22 a.m.

I mounted one of these (HF Link) upside down to the floor at the back of the shop. I then mounted the winch to a receiver mount so I can use it in the shop, on the trailer, or on the truck. I used lag bolts with lag shields to bolt it down. I prefer this method since I am not having to bolt, unbolt the winch. I have also seen people put a d-ring int he concrete and use chain to attach the winch when needed.

Jumper K Balls (Trent)
Jumper K Balls (Trent) PowerDork
10/10/19 10:50 a.m.

You mean a female wedge anchor?

Dusterbd13-michael
10/10/19 12:13 p.m.
Jumper K Balls (Trent) said:

You mean a female wedge anchor?

Apparently I do! 

How do i select the right one? There ain't exactly a guide for this....

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/10/19 12:18 p.m.

Drop In Anchors is what you want to search for. 

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Hardware-Fasteners-Anchors-Masonry-Concrete-Anchors/Drop-In-Anchors/N-5yc1vZc2g8Z1z186x3

I would think 3/8 should be sufficient. My harbor freight 5000lb winch has something like m6 bolts for mounting. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/10/19 12:44 p.m.

Yep, these guys.  I would also weld the winch to a plate or 2" receiver with the mating part bolted to the floor.  Less of a tripping hazard.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/10/19 1:24 p.m.

I have considered this very thing, but I think a better option would be to mount an anchor point on the floor near the wall, or even an anchor pot, and use a Dr. Hess style winch in the middle. I think it gives you more options and flexibility.

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
10/10/19 1:54 p.m.

^^^

Agreed.

Mount an anchor, not the whole wench. Less to trip over.

Dusterbd13-michael
10/10/19 2:08 p.m.

That's pretty much where I was going with the female threaded inserts in the floor. Be able to run down a few bolts and hold the winch down and use it. Remove the bolts throw the winch on a shelf that have absolutely nothing to trip over. That's why I don't want to use studs or a trailer hitch receiver or anything like that as I have very limited space in my shop

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
10/10/19 2:25 p.m.
Woody said:

I have considered this very thing, but I think a better option would be to mount an anchor point on the floor near the wall, or even an anchor pot, and use a Dr. Hess style winch in the middle. I think it gives you more options and flexibility.

Hey, that looks just like my PortaWinch... Wait... Oh, it is.

I recently added a feature to do exactly what Mike wants, as I had to to drag a dead Audi into the shop.  Mice got the sensors on a 2door V8 Audi of my step-son.  Anyway, my solution was: 

Take some angle iron, like 1.5" and 1/8" thick, maybe 18 inches long, weld some stainless 1/2" 16ga strip to it in a T, slip the strip under the back end of my shop building so that the angle iron comes up against the base plates and the edge of the slab, loop the 1/2" stainless inside the shop and bolt with 2 strong bolts, short piece of chain from the loop to the angle iron on the back side of the Porta Winch.  Pull the cable out, add extra as needed, hook to the locost battery (that bike bat in the pic died a couple years ago), crank in the dead V8 audi.  Worked great.

Dusterbd13-michael
10/10/19 3:05 p.m.

My shop is a basement, with an uphill slope to the door. So unfortunately, vertical bolts into the floor are really my only practical solution. 

Also, sice the bay is only 17 foot deep, it has to be removable to flush with the floor, or it WILL be in my way. 

Those female wedge anchors and such look like the right thing to do. How do theu actually work? Google isnt exactly clear on it based upon my quick reading during this pointless mandatory meeting.....

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
10/10/19 3:16 p.m.

You drill a hole with a masonary bit and a hammer drill, tap the Red Head bolts in, tighten down. 

I suggest you bolt a plate down to the slab with the Red Head bolts and work up an attachment system to connect the winch to the plate.  Remember, bolts in shear are strongest.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia HalfDork
10/10/19 3:18 p.m.

Probably not for what you need to do , but I put a  foot or so of strong chain  with a lug wrench thru the chain and buried it  in the corner before I  poured the slab , 

also along the driveway wall , 

and if you need to pull something you can use a giant hook like the tow trucks use and did under the slab edge as an anchor , 

I try to put 2 chains on whatever I am pulling uphill just in case , 

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/10/19 6:43 p.m.

I've been pondering a similar idea to this, but with a slight twist -- I want to be able to winch a dead car onto my four-post lift.  Mounting the winch to the floor isn't good enough because the lift ramps are about 4-5 inches high and I don't want to drag the winch cable over the cross beams.

So how to mount a winch a foot off the floor?  Weld up some kind of steel mount and bolt that to the floor?

Dusterbd13-michael
10/10/19 7:04 p.m.

We use a come along and a chain around the crossbar of my dads 4 post lift on the rare occasion we cant push it on. Dada is a backuard buddy lift though.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/10/19 7:10 p.m.

In reply to codrus :

Yeah, a stand of some sort could work.  There's a good amount of force on that, but if you look at how boat winches are mounted it should give you an idea.

You could also mount the winch to the floor and run the cable up and over a piece of steel tube with a roller at the top.  You'd have to get the angles right, but the force should be downward on the pole and the pulling force should be on the windy and floor mount, which should make it slightly less massive to build.

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
10/10/19 9:18 p.m.

I don't have a very steep driveway, and I hate having to hook up a battery, so I borrowed a hammer drill from work, and used four 1/2" drop in anchors in the floor to mount an ancient hand winch that was used to lift the basketball backstops at the old gym at the school I apprenticed at.  

I mounted the drop ins a little below flush, so that when the winch is not being used, I am able to run 1/2" x 1" socket head flat head screws into the anchors to keep them from getting dirt and other garbage jammed into them.  (If you just use regular hex head cap screws, you will trip on them eventually, and/or try to roll something with hard wheels over it...  like an engine stand with a fully dressed RB MoPar)  I also did something very similar in the driveway of my old house for the HF manual tire changer to keep them them clean and to keep the threads from rusting up, and it worked very well.

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
10/10/19 10:19 p.m.
codrus said:

I've been pondering a similar idea to this, but with a slight twist -- I want to be able to winch a dead car onto my four-post lift.  Mounting the winch to the floor isn't good enough because the lift ramps are about 4-5 inches high and I don't want to drag the winch cable over the cross beams.

So how to mount a winch a foot off the floor?  Weld up some kind of steel mount and bolt that to the floor?

Mount the winch to the lift.

Dusterbd13-michael
4/16/20 1:24 p.m.

4 1/2 inch drop in anchors later....

only a 2500lb winch, but should be good enough. 

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/16/20 1:56 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

4 1/2 inch drop in anchors later....

only a 2500lb winch, but should be good enough. 

That'll work.  If you need more pulling power use a snatch block.  If you want to remove the winch run some socket head set screws in the holes to keep the crud out.

Dr. Hess (Forum Supporter)
Dr. Hess (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/16/20 2:34 p.m.

I recently mounted my porta-winch, pick'ed up above, to the back of the shop for pulling dead cars in.  I put some angle plate on the edge of the slab, welded some 16ga stainless strap to it, fed that under the base plates of the shop building, folded the strap around the rebar up above and bolted it to itself.  Works great.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qhfktBNxcf8NyOTWnVD7KTcTd98MvvBoXAdw5nDKq3EqXEC4usv1t09e8Ykvnm68