1 2
The_Jed
The_Jed HalfDork
4/17/12 9:21 p.m.

Like everyone else here I LOVE a good chase scene in a movie. If the plucky hero is trying to get away from the sinister antagonist with the scars and gravelly voice and they use CGI to simulate wheelman action it takes me right out of the show. I love love LOVE real driving action.

Bullitt

Vanishing Point

The original "Gone in 60 seconds" I confess, I fast forward through the first 30 minutes or so of the film...

Highwaymen is a good "newer" movie.

Are there any other newish films with decent driving scenes?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg PowerDork
4/17/12 9:31 p.m.

"Senna" has a few

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/17/12 9:38 p.m.

Look at the stuff Hal Needam did in the late 70's early 80's. Mostly stunts and gags, but no CGI or camera tricks. (save for the occasional undercranked film).

Lesley
Lesley UberDork
4/17/12 9:42 p.m.

Apparently Ben Collins (the Stig) did the driving for the new James Bond flicks.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp SuperDork
4/17/12 9:43 p.m.

Oh I was going to say you forgot Le Mans and Grand Prix but you said newish...

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon HalfDork
4/17/12 9:53 p.m.

Supposedly most all of the 180s and stuff that Nick Cage is doing in the newer Gone in 60 Seconds is really him, but that "jump" definately was not.

Tanner Foust did a lot of stunt driving for the last Bourne movie, maybe the second one too.

dinger
dinger Reader
4/17/12 10:09 p.m.

Ronin - All filmed, no CGI. Wikipedia says 300 stunt drivers were used in some scenes.

ST_ZX2
ST_ZX2 HalfDork
4/17/12 10:10 p.m.

To Live and Die in LA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qkjY85WguI

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy SuperDork
4/17/12 11:15 p.m.

Gumball Rally, but its old too.

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
4/17/12 11:29 p.m.

The Bourne and Transporter movies.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/17/12 11:32 p.m.
dinger wrote: Ronin - All filmed, no CGI. Wikipedia says 300 stunt drivers were used in some scenes.

Ronin has some fantastic driving, definitely one of my favorites.

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
4/18/12 12:30 a.m.

Rendezvous.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/18/12 12:35 a.m.

How about Taken, a nice chase scene with a XJ in that one.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
4/18/12 12:42 a.m.
ST_ZX2 wrote: To Live and Die in LA. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qkjY85WguI

A greatly underrated gem, probably because of the lack of flashy cars. Awesome work, though.

Drive had some decent work, mostly in the "cat-and-mouse" genre. But it did have one of the single greatest shots in car chase history. If you've seen it you know the one I'm talking about. I can't imagine the level of coordinations and planning and practice required to pull this shot off conventionally. You can tell they had plenty of coverage (you can see the Contour HD camera right over her shoulder). But, still. What a well executed shot.

jg

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam UltraDork
4/18/12 2:29 a.m.
EvanB wrote: How about Taken, a nice chase scene with a XJ in that one.

Is that the one that Top Gear UK filmed stuff for? That was ridiculous.

Also, no one's mentioned the Blues Brothers

jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
4/18/12 6:13 a.m.
Twin_Cam wrote:
EvanB wrote: How about Taken, a nice chase scene with a XJ in that one.
Is that the one that Top Gear UK filmed stuff for? That was ridiculous. Also, no one's mentioned the Blues Brothers

"I hate Illinois Nazis."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkkXHjQSyEI&feature=related

MA$$hole
MA$$hole Reader
4/18/12 7:14 a.m.
JFX001 wrote: The Bourne and Transporter movies.

Although removing an explosive device from the undercarriage of one's A8 means you will need to launch the car in the air, do a barrel roll under a magnet or crane to pull the bomb off, & than successfully land it. If not the baddies win.

http://youtu.be/EalGgwgi1iM

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/18/12 8:22 a.m.

The BMW films from a few years ago? The one with the M5 and Madonna is my favorite.

Powar
Powar Dork
4/18/12 8:34 a.m.

Two Lane Blacktop

the original Italian Job

nicksta43
nicksta43 HalfDork
4/18/12 8:38 a.m.

Dirty Marry Crazy Larry is a pretty good one.

MG Bryan
MG Bryan Dork
4/18/12 8:41 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: Rendezvous.

C'était un Rendezvous is the single best use of a Mercedes Benz in history.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
4/18/12 9:17 a.m.
EvanB wrote:
dinger wrote: Ronin - All filmed, no CGI. Wikipedia says 300 stunt drivers were used in some scenes.

And not a bad movie to top it all off. The chase scene through Nice is amazing! They were running full speed (close to 100mph at times) on those narrow streets.

failboat
failboat Dork
4/18/12 10:10 a.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote:
ST_ZX2 wrote: To Live and Die in LA. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qkjY85WguI
A greatly underrated gem, probably because of the lack of flashy cars. Awesome work, though... jg

A greatly underrated gem, in the sense that its got every cheezy 80's bad cop cliche you can think of rolled into one movie, and its not a comedy. Its awesome.

Oh yea the Chase scene aint bad either. And the main character's name is Chase I think. So there is that.

jonnyd330
jonnyd330 Reader
4/18/12 10:47 a.m.
EvanB wrote:

Ronin is the best!

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/18/12 11:52 a.m.
Rusted_Busted_Spit wrote: The BMW films from a few years ago? The one with the M5 and Madonna is my favorite.

Star!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrLYQnjzH7w

Lemme tell you, an E39 M5 is astounding when you let it off the leash. I'd call this a documentary. Apparently the model was brand spanking new when they filmed this and there weren't a whole lot of cars available. They didn't all survive.

There's a big difference between movies that are set up to look fast (oversteer! handbrakes!) and those that are trying to go fast (Ronin, Bullitt). I much prefer the latter. Anyone who's shared the track with a drifter knows how slow most car chases really are.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kiPuWGaddUzuWpN3RkdraRHl92JXjTdWTK6uBAbFOyKz6vcnBm83kvlE2HhwUc2q