yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/9/20 3:59 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Its probably worse to be honest. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/9/20 4:05 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

The above data is weird though, because presumably it only counts retirement accounts, not other investments.  IMO, money saved is all retirement savings.

For a large percentage of Americans, retirement savings is their only savings and "other investments" might be their home. Maybe.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones HalfDork
11/9/20 4:37 p.m.
Stefan (Forum Supporter) said:
A 401 CJ said:
Steve_Jones said:

Lots of jealousy in this thread. You are all free to start your own company and see if you have what it takes to succeed. It takes a lot. 

One of the most sanctimonious comments I’ve ever read on this forum.

Considering his other comments in other threads, not surprising really.  Ignore him, he's a bit of a lesser troll it seems.

If you're jealous of what someone has, figure out a way to do what they did, it's pretty simple. Bitching about how it's not fair solves nothing.  The funny part is many people here agreed with me, but I guess they are all "trolls" as well.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/9/20 5:20 p.m.
WilD said:
mr2s2000elise said:
nutherjrfan said:

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

I just read that America has approx 20 million millionaires but I've seen lower numbers in a quick Google.

That's impressive and awesome.

Yeah last year I read it was 19 point something million. About 40% of the worlds millionaires. I know we have a bunch of them on GRM alone. 

Yeah, given the subject matter here (classic cars, private auto racing) I would wager that affluent people are over represented in this forum.  ;)

Returning to the original topic, my opinion is that the point is that the boss is tone deaf to his employees at best.  Maybe he hasn't done anything unethical, maybe he has.  You can't be the guy telling people who are busting their butts that "times are tight, and sorry, no raises this year" and also be the guy showing off expensive toys.  Even if everyone in the scenario is already affluent, that will irk people and lower morale.  I find it somewhat comical that the prevailing narrative in the United States is that the lowest paid people need "a good work ethic" and shouldn't notice what the boss makes or does.  The idea that workers should just put their heads down and work harder is pretty toxic.

It’s pretty toxic and it’s pretty dumb.  Again, there often times isn’t near as much ‘skin in the game’ as we are lead to believe.  Look no further than multi-millionaire (perhaps billionaire) “businessman” and current governor of WV, Jim Justice.  His coal companies were legendary for never paying for anything.  When he finally couldn’t kick the can down the road anymore he would simply bankrupt that company and start another one.  He didn’t have an ounce of skin in the game.  And it never caught up to him!  So this whole idea of “the boss takes all the risk, all you have to do is show up and work”, is pure bull-snot in a lot of cases.  I’m not saying that’s always true.  By all accounts the founder of this very magazine is a shining exception.  

And don’t even get me started on private equity.  Even the commenters in the Wall Street Journal are taken aback at what they’re allowed to get away with.

03Panther
03Panther Dork
11/9/20 11:47 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:
A 401 CJ said:
Steve_Jones said:

Lots of jealousy in this thread. You are all free to start your own company and see if you have what it takes to succeed. It takes a lot. 

Considering his other comments in other threads, not surprising really.  Ignore him, he's a bit of a lesser troll it seems.

If you're jealous of what someone has, figure out a way to do what they did, it's pretty simple. Bitching about how it's not fair solves nothing.  The funny part is many people here agreed with me, but I guess they are all "trolls" as well.

I know what the big wigs in the big business company’s did to get there. I’m not willing to lie, stab people in the back, cheat, and rip people off. There are exceptions, and I’ve known a few, but they are very rare. 

I did not accuse you of being a troll, but you either think the op is an idiot, or a total azz hat. Of you were being a jerk. Or maybe both? 

03Panther
03Panther Dork
11/9/20 11:56 p.m.

In reply to A 401 CJ :

I didn’t know about /s... I did catch what snowdoggie was saying!!!

most of the smug people comments, apparently either didn’t read Jerry’s post, or are too far gone to care what he meant. 

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/10/20 12:46 a.m.
Steve_Jones said:
A 401 CJ said:
Steve_Jones said:

That's not the point and you choose to ignore it.  You're an ass and I choose to not engage further.

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
11/10/20 6:56 a.m.
A 401 CJ said:
Jerry said:
SnowMongoose said:

In reply to Steve_Jones :

Which is likely part of why he's venting to us instead of telling his boss how tossing his money around looks.  

Clearly OP is a lazy roustabout, not deserving of credit or nice things. /s

Thanx.  Looks like some people in a rush to post a smug comment missed where I said I don't care about the toys themselves, he should enjoy the fruits of his company.  Just also telling his three employees that stuck around when two others quit two years ago and took all the knowledge about a particular line of equipment with them, that stuck it out during the revolving door of 3-6 month techs that didn't cut it (and we fixed their mistakes), that they can't afford a fifty cent raise because something something economy...

But I got my 3D printer working this weekend, so I'm happy.

You do know that that "/s" means 'sarcasm off' right?  

I couldn't tell from your reply if you did or not.  Snowmongoose wasn't insulting you.  

I know he wasn't, we're good.  I'm surprised this went as long as it did.  I merely wanted to vent that buying 3 vehicles and a boat while telling your employee times are tough isn't a good look.  I hope he enjoys the car, it's really nice looking.  First one I've seen up close.

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
11/10/20 8:15 a.m.
Steve_Jones said:
A 401 CJ said:
Steve_Jones said:

That's not the point and you choose to ignore it.  You're an ass and I choose to not engage further.

Now that's funny

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
11/10/20 10:32 a.m.
Jerry said:

I merely wanted to vent that buying 3 vehicles 

What are the other 2 vehicles purchased ? Just curious if they are anything cool 

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
11/10/20 10:36 a.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
Jerry said:

What are the other 2 vehicles purchased ? Just curious if they are anything cool 

Tell us about the boat. A Wellcraft Scarab or any kind of Donzi would be cool. 

yupididit
11/10/20 11:08 a.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
Jerry said:

Loaded SUV's for himself and the wife. 

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
11/10/20 11:10 a.m.
yupididit said:
mr2s2000elise said:
Jerry said:

I thought there was a boat involved.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
11/10/20 12:06 p.m.
yupididit said:

G Waggen Landaulet Maybach and X5M or pedestrian Armadas and Tahoes?

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
11/10/20 12:28 p.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie :

A $50k sailboat I'm told, don't know details.

yupididit
11/10/20 1:15 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

He bought a Corvette of course he didn't buy a new G Wagon wink

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/10/20 4:42 p.m.
mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
11/10/20 4:43 p.m.
yupididit said:

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

He bought a Corvette of course he didn't buy a new G Wagon wink

LOL! 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/10/20 4:46 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

I half thought that movie was a fever dream I had.  I can only remember that scene.

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera Dork
11/10/20 5:22 p.m.
Jerry said:

In reply to Snowdoggie :

Getting a $50K sailboat is easy.  What you do is buy an older Hobie 16 for $1K and before you know it, you'll be on your way to a $50K sailboat.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/10/20 6:48 p.m.

I digress and I'll just add this:

Real cool bosses drive C2's.  Not C8's.  

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
11/10/20 6:53 p.m.
A 401 CJ said:

I digress and I'll just add this:

Real cool bosses drive C2's.  Not C8's.  

Agreed. 

11GTCS
11GTCS HalfDork
11/10/20 8:48 p.m.
Apis Mellifera said:
Jerry said:

In reply to Snowdoggie :

Getting a $50K sailboat is easy.  What you do is buy an older Hobie 16 for $1K and before you know it, you'll be on your way to a $50K sailboat.

Quoted for truth!  What’s the easiest way to make a million bucks in the boat building business? Start with two million. 

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/10/20 8:56 p.m.

it's not hard to find a 50k sailboat, it's hard to find a new 50k sailboat.  

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wFAcAuScR8mIf8LE5c1hRP4OQ2BLIApmB5zChPtHSy26bs0PwMoX6JHKJRMsVXJH