1 2
llysgennad
llysgennad Reader
7/12/22 5:35 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

This reminds me very much of the early GM antilock brakes.  "Holy E36 M3! A wheel slipped a bit!  Turn off all the brakes until we can determine the cause at a long, boozy meeting!"

I remember a late 80's Beretta taking me completely through a big intersection, with my feet mashing the brake pedal like Fred Flintstone. Never got in that car again.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
7/12/22 6:55 p.m.

I can't even get used to the new cruise control in my van. The van will match the speed of the guy in front of me when they are 100 yards away if they are going slower than what I have it set for. The bigger issue is when someone slows down a lot to get off an exit, next thing you know it'll be jamming on the brakes when the guy is just getting into the exit lane. I know he will get over before I catch up but the van doesn't want to believe it.

Some of these new features have made there way onto the CDL box trucks at work. These things beep at you all day, too fast, too close to the lane line, following too closely has an increasing level of beeping. Makes driving in highly populated areas "fun."

karplus2
karplus2 GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/12/22 8:03 p.m.

My 21 F150 work truck has an infuriating automatic braking feature in reverse. I often am backing up in tall grass or near crops that I intend to back very close to. The damn thing SLAMS on the brakes and the icon to turn this 'feature' off doesn't always come up on the screen. I also pull wagons that don't hook up to the truck electronics so the automatic braking isn't turned off. It is IMPOSSIBLE to back up a wagon when the truck is constantly slamming on the brakes for you.

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
7/12/22 8:52 p.m.
llysgennad said:
Streetwiseguy said:

This reminds me very much of the early GM antilock brakes.  "Holy E36 M3! A wheel slipped a bit!  Turn off all the brakes until we can determine the cause at a long, boozy meeting!"

I remember a late 80's Beretta taking me completely through a big intersection, with my feet mashing the brake pedal like Fred Flintstone. Never got in that car again.

It's so funny that you mentioned that.  I was just coming in here to say that my first experience with ABS was in a late '80s or early '90s Baretta.  I remember it kicking in and going "What the berkeley, why aren't I stopping?  The pedal pulsated like crazy.  My how times have changed...

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
7/12/22 9:23 p.m.

I mean, you guys are highliting some of the core of it. The baretta was an early generation abs system. We are only about in the second generation of AEB. Some of the early stuff was radar only or camera only and leveraged too far on performance. Most new systems are camera radar fusion and the software is getting polished up. Still a ways to go and some people rely too much on it already and/or believe it means any crash should be impossible.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/12/22 9:26 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Streetwiseguy said:
Keith Tanner said:

I'm all for ABS, as that means all wheels can brake to the maximum traction they have available instead of all wheels braking to the maximum  traction of the worst wheel.

I quite like the ABS in my 03 Volvo, because when I feel it pulsing, I know I've done something dumb, and it doesn't push the pedal back against my foot.

I pulled the fuse in my 2000 Silverado the second time it tried to kill me by shutting off all the brakes after hitting a pothole on the approach to a highway.

Too much.  Too much.  Once the manufacturers  kinda figure out that too much is worse than none at all, it gets better.  Sounds like maybe we are in the same early times with all the shiny-magic-never-die stuff.

The ABS in a 2000 Silverado is at least 20 years old and built for a solid axle truck. It's come a long way since then.

You have gotten the point of my story.  

Edit:  There is also a full decade prior to 2k of rwd GM vehicles that are positively dangerous on icy streets.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/12/22 9:33 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

I pulled the fuse in my 2000 Silverado the second time it tried to kill me by shutting off all the brakes after hitting a pothole on the approach to a highway.

My 2004 Subaru does this, too. It's awful.

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/13/22 1:17 p.m.

I think its strange that we have self steering cars, self braking cars, cars with 40 air bags, and everything else a smart engineer can think up to keep us adults safe, but for infants......nah. I'm sure you can find something cute at Walmart for that. 

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/13/22 2:19 p.m.

My new to me Cadillac has this system and I am pretty much ok with it so far. Fortunately, somewhere deep in the menus, it is able to be adjusted for sensitivity. Only had one head scratching moment when slowing to a stop behind traffic at a light; it went full alert and active with 3 car lengths of room while moving at 5mph...

The funny part is that I use the heads-up display on the windshield and when the system activates i not only get the beeps and vibration in the seat, but it displays a very large cartoonish image of colliding cars in bright orange and yellow right in front of me. I find it amusing that a luxury sedan treats me like a toddler.

fastoldfart
fastoldfart Reader
7/19/22 3:49 p.m.

In reply to llysgennad :

My only "at fault" collision was a result of early GM abs in a G van. One wheel hit ice and with the  pedal mashed to floor , it was an OH SH#T NO BRAKES moment. Rearended my employees' car.

Advan046
Advan046 UberDork
7/19/22 3:53 p.m.

In reply to jfryjfry :

It is an interesting system. I keep wondering if the calibration was to ensure a stop 4 feet from the car in front assuming the last 3 feet are on ice...   

The scariest moment for me was on a near empty freeway (pandemic shutdown style) cruising at 70mph. Daylight. BAM!!!! BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE warnings and hard threshold brake. I  recovered and wasn't sure what happened. Then a few weeks later with my family in the car, same thing!!!! 

Then I figured it out. A foil lined chip bag was floating across the freeway. (I spotted it because at first I didn't know what kind of debris was coming across yhe freeway at me) The sensor reflection intensity but have spiked. 

I still leave it on as once it did help not killing a woman jaywalking. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/19/22 4:10 p.m.

^This is basically the same way fighter jet chaff systems work laugh

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
F1bSuKtIHqmmnwdwUJDUiPtT0MmLMINgrLLKwXY9yAbrROIihXfYLVk5w7P31cfj