1 2
NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/17/22 11:25 a.m.

I have been around cars for my whole life, worked on race cars, in college and then after but all of my time has been spent on the wrench side and never near the wheel. 

A couple of weeks ago a friend of mine made me an offer I just couldn't turn down. Come do a HPDE at Palmer Motorsports Park, you can use my Miata. He is an instructor and will be using his other car. I couldn't turn that down so I am in! I have been reading and watching what to do at your first track day, watching in cars of Palmer laps so I am not surprised. 

So if anyone is there and they see an excited, nervous slightly confused person most likely wearing a GRM shirt please say hey!

https://www.neqclub.org/event/neq-at-palmer-motorsports-park-hpde/

NickD
NickD MegaDork
6/17/22 11:34 a.m.

I was expecting it to be at New York (un)Safety Track and I was going to say "Good luck!"

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/17/22 12:54 p.m.

Yeah man!

Words of advice for you first HPDE:

• Hyrdate
  • Wear sunscreen
  • Listen
  • Relax
  • Hydrate
  • Push your comfort zone, but don't go outside it
  • Don't try to impress your instructor, you won't.
  • Don't try to frighten your instructor, they already are.
  • Look farther ahead
  • No even further ahead than that
  • Hydrate
  • Wear sunscreen
NY Nick
6/17/22 12:57 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

Those all seem like good pieces of advice. I have no delusions that I know what I am doing so I'm pretty sure I won't try to impress my instructor, I will try hard not to frighten them. 

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/17/22 12:59 p.m.

In reply to NY Nick :

The best way to actually impress an instructor is to humbly recognize that you don't know what you're doing and actually listen to the directions they give you.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
6/17/22 1:24 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

Pfft, it's common knowledge that F1 and NASCAR have scouts out at every HPDE on the lookout for the next Big Talent.

wink

slefain
slefain PowerDork
6/17/22 3:24 p.m.
KyAllroad said:

In reply to Beer Baron :

Pfft, it's common knowledge that F1 and NASCAR have scouts out at every HPDE on the lookout for the next Big Talent.

wink

But what if I need to be put into the fastest run group so I can run flat out?

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/17/22 3:40 p.m.
slefain said:
KyAllroad said:

In reply to Beer Baron :

wink

But what if I need to be put into the fastest run group so I can run flat out?

NEMESIS!

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
6/17/22 3:54 p.m.
Beer Baron said:

Yeah man!

Words of advice for you first HPDE:

• Hyrdate
  • Wear sunscreen
  • Listen
  • Relax
  • Hydrate
  • Push your comfort zone, but don't go outside it
  • Don't try to impress your instructor, you won't.
  • Don't try to frighten your instructor, they already are.
  • Look farther ahead
  • No even further ahead than that
  • Hydrate
  • Wear sunscreen

Dude, when were you going to tell him to hydrate???  Duh....

Seriously, all of the points above are spot on.  The only other thing I'll add in is:

• HAVE FUN!!!!
codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/17/22 3:56 p.m.

Hat.  Bring one.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
6/17/22 4:17 p.m.

If you win, you get the BIG trophy, right?

Take care & enjoy.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/17/22 5:52 p.m.
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) said:

Dude, when were you going to tell him to hydrate???  Duh....

Head instructor for NorCal used to say, "If you ain't flowin', you ain't goin'!"

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/17/22 8:52 p.m.
jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
6/17/22 10:00 p.m.

Don't try to get out of people's way. If they caught you, they can get around you. Once you move off the line they are expecting you to be following you have become a squirrel. Most likely you will be required to point people by for them to pass so keep an eye out for them so they don't surprise you.

I've joked with people they should look so far back that they occasionally catch a glimpse of the front of their own car.

NY Nick
6/18/22 8:15 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

This was one of the first things I watched!

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/18/22 8:18 a.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:

Hat.  Bring one.

a folding chair is also a good idea to relax by the car and......hydrate! 

imgon
imgon HalfDork
6/18/22 9:20 a.m.

Palmer is an awesome track, you will have a blast. I'll be there the following two days with COMSCC for time trials. Palmer has lots of elevation change and 14 corners, flows very nicely and is a fun momentum car track. Like others have said make sure to drink lots, it's hot in the car and your brain will be working overtime. It will be lots of fun, but it may be a few hours later on your drive home that you realize it. If you can, bring something to provide shade, ez up or big umbrella. They have a food truck on site that is usually open but bring some snacks in case. Closest stores are 10-15 minutes away, donut shop and liquor store,  other necessities about another 10 minutes away. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/18/22 10:27 a.m.
jgrewe said:

Don't try to get out of people's way. If they caught you, they can get around you. Once you move off the line they are expecting you to be following you have become a squirrel. Most likely you will be required to point people by for them to pass so keep an eye out for them so they don't surprise you.

I've joked with people they should look so far back that they occasionally catch a glimpse of the front of their own car.

One would hope that passing protocol is covered in the drivers meeting.  That way expectations are all the same.   And that goes for the zones that passing is allowed- I've never been to or run a track day were one was allowed to pass going into corners as if it was a race- and what straights were allowed was important.  Finally, if the person in front does not abide- head to the pits and then back out.

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
6/18/22 1:24 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

It won't be an issue his first event but Chin Motorsports track events have passing anywhere with point by in the Red(expert) group. The main message is probably to be aware of what is going on all around you, don't just focus between your A pillars.

footinmouth
footinmouth GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/19/22 6:46 a.m.

In reply to M2Pilot :

They will also give you one of those giant card board checks

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
6/19/22 7:00 a.m.

When I was instructing I loved total newbs. The growth was usually leaps and bounds. Giving someone that first taste of the go-fast crack pipe is a joyous thing. 

You'll screw up in dozens of ways. It doesn't matter. We'll help you get better. The most common failure is getting close enough to the apex. Most people seem to give it a several foot buffer.

NY Nick
7/1/22 6:12 a.m.

Today is the day. Dropped the cars off in the paddock last night. I'm driving the Miata, my friend drives the BMW.  

Cheeks
Cheeks New Reader
7/1/22 7:45 a.m.

congrats on your first (upcoming) track day, its going to be scary, anxiety will be through the roof, but as soon as you get out there and get into a rythym you'll never want to come back in! 

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
7/1/22 7:51 a.m.

I look forward to hearing how much fun you had.

imgon
imgon HalfDork
7/1/22 7:56 a.m.

Excellent, Its supposed to be a hot one so drink plenty of fluids, listen to your instructor and have a ball! 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DH7rzcxszI9ulXRzRuFVL3iIGOI3bGcVGNYkme4uGFkiqC0gaANSc31pStr37m0Q