1 2 3 4 5
DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
8/31/12 8:53 a.m.

I'm thankful I have my grandfather's sense of humor.

It has come in handy more times than I can count.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant SuperDork
8/31/12 10:13 a.m.

An old Griswold #7 skillet is one of my favorite kitchen implements, and the cornstick pan makes me happy just sitting there. The skillet will get more use when our youngest graduates and I put the bigger, newer Lodge version into "holiday crowd" status.

Sweet cornbread turns me off. Ironically, my favorite cornbread recipe is called Sweet Cornbread Pudding, even though it isn't sweet.

Do try that recipe. It's magic with roast turkey. If nothing else, it's worth it for the aroma while cooking.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
8/31/12 10:39 a.m.

Im really wanting a cast Iron griddle -

Nothing is as good as eggs over easy, fried in the grease of the bacon and sausage you just cooked in cast iron.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
8/31/12 12:16 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: Im really wanting a cast Iron griddle - Nothing is as good as eggs over easy, fried in the grease of the bacon and sausage you just cooked in cast iron.

My mom had a jar that she kept next to the stove. After frying bacon, she'd pour the grease into the jar. She'd throw a spoonful in for flavor if she was frying something else. Great stuff.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/31/12 1:52 p.m.

I have my FIL's 15 X 26" CI Flat Skillet with handles. Mrs. 914 has wonderful camping as a kid memories.

failboat
failboat Dork
8/31/12 2:03 p.m.

dang. am I REALLY missing out on the cast iron here?

We have 2 pans that my cousin gave us last Christmas, used to belong to his mother. He doesn't cook so he passed them along to us.

My wife periodically asks me to bring them in from the garage and I keep forgetting.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/31/12 2:13 p.m.
failboat wrote: dang. am I REALLY missing out on the cast iron here?

Yes, it is all I use.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
8/31/12 3:05 p.m.

In reply to failboat:

You'll be surprised by the heat distribution. You can use pretty much the entire pan to cook instead of constantly raking the food back over the hot spot in the center.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
8/31/12 3:30 p.m.

The addition of sugar to cornbread should be a capital crime. I'll gladly throw the lever.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/31/12 3:33 p.m.

I have two cast iron pans I found in the attic of the house I bought. A bit of time with some steel wool, peanut oil and a broiler and they were good to go again.

I love cast iron cookware.

BAMF
BAMF Reader
8/31/12 4:42 p.m.

I just got into cast iron cookware. It's not perfect for everything. If you want to rapidly change temperatures, it won't work like a copper bottom pan. That said, it's much better than all of the non stick cookware I've used.

It's not dishwasher safe, but it's so easy to keep up, I don't mind.

There is always antique, and that's great, but Lodge still makes their cast iron (but not enameled) in the USA. A 12" skillet was about $22 at the nearby Target. Cheap for a good skillet. They are preseasoned as well. You can use them right when you get them home from the store.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
8/31/12 4:54 p.m.

I'm thankful that everyone that has a cast-iron pan in this thread enjoys using it :)

EvanB wrote:
Yes, it is all I use.

Weird. We have a cast iron pan and some stainless stamped pans that look like they cost about 30 cents to make and were shipped over on a boat from China. I used the cast iron one like twice. Too long to heat up, too much time spent taking care of it. Cooking performance was not noticeably different (admittedly, I am probably not the type to notice)

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
8/31/12 5:27 p.m.

The "new to us" house has an Induction Cooktop but I am glad to report the ole cast iron works great on it!

Secretariata
Secretariata GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/31/12 8:18 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote: I'm thankful I have my grandfather's sense of humor. It has come in handy more times than I can count.

Thankfully, I got my Dad's sense of humor plus a little bit of a sick twisted mentality so I can generally amuse myself under any circumstances. Agree that this comes in very handy.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
8/31/12 9:02 p.m.

Fried chicken and Whiskey make the afternoon go faster. Both can be roont.

EvanB
8/31/12 9:13 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote: I'm thankful that everyone that has a cast-iron pan in this thread enjoys using it :)
EvanB wrote:
Yes, it is all I use.
Weird. We have a cast iron pan and some stainless stamped pans that look like they cost about 30 cents to make and were shipped over on a boat from China. I used the cast iron one like twice. Too long to heat up, too much time spent taking care of it. Cooking performance was not noticeably different (admittedly, I am probably not the type to notice)

Well it is actually all I have. I'm sure different types of lighter weight pans would work better for some things but the cast iron works pretty well for most everything I need.

I also cook on a gas stove from the 50s.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UltraDork
8/31/12 10:29 p.m.

We rented a cabin in the woods this last week. It had no running water, no electricity, and an outside shower with a black water bag, but a little propane stove with a wooden box on the bottom fashioned up to look like a pull out drawer on a regular stove. In it was a full set of really nice, really old, and really heavy cast iron pans.

Oh, and as the natives around here say, that ain't no cornbread, that's berkeleying Johnnycake.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
8/31/12 10:56 p.m.

This is how I make cornbread, is there something better or something I am missing?

Secretariata
8/31/12 11:16 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: This is how I make cornbread, is there something better or something I am missing?

Jiffy comes in a box AND has sugar added. To a "True Southerner"(TM) that is the end of the universe as we know it...

Kinda like maple syrup on grits.

EvanB
8/31/12 11:20 p.m.
Secretariata wrote: Kinda like maple syrup on grits.

What's wrong with that?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/1/12 5:26 a.m.
EvanB wrote:
What's wrong with that?

Grits.

Secretariata
9/1/12 9:26 p.m.
Woody wrote:
EvanB wrote:
What's wrong with that?
Grits.

Only deserve the best BUTTER!

Maple syrup goes on hotcakes.

Secretariata
9/1/12 9:30 p.m.
TRoglodyte wrote: Fried chicken and Whiskey make the afternoon go faster. Both can be roont.

Bourbon whiskey? Corn liquor? or that weird European island whiskey?

Many things can be root including cornbread and grits.

failboat
failboat Dork
9/2/12 7:19 a.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: In reply to failboat: Your wife be surprised by the heat distribution. She can use pretty much the entire pan to cook instead of constantly raking the food back over the hot spot in the center.

FTFY lol

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UltraDork
9/2/12 8:05 a.m.

OK, so let's have a recipe for this cornbread. My mom made it a lot when I was a kid, and it was great. My wife never heard of it, so whenever we're across the border, we grab some of that Jiffy stuff. I can't tell the difference between it, and the stuff my wife's made from scratch, so I need a recipe.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sg2w2594ujPvRW5X7rjWizxGEyGbTJpEcMVnH0VlxrLMFMsBx9LE1dqFD3NVgNu6