1 2
Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/24/18 3:05 p.m.

Woohoo!! And I am having some friends over tonight to celebrate. If you're in the area, come have a beer. Text me 303 332 8568 if you need an address. We will be eating and drinking from 5-11 for sure, probably longer. Here's to a place where I can improve the quality of all the things I make and modify!

Last minute, I know, sorry. I also finished the first project in my new garage today too, pics coming next.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace HalfDork
2/24/18 3:11 p.m.

Congrats! looks good! If I was close to you I'd definitely be in attendance but alas, texas is probably to far of a drive lol

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit SuperDork
2/24/18 3:13 p.m.

Nice!! I know how you feel as I am putting the final touches on my basement. Congrats.

Paul

Robbie
2/24/18 3:23 p.m.

First project: get organized before I move my mess in.

Use a sweet tool I got from my mother in law for Christmas to hold the wood while I cut with my circular saw.

Form a couple boxes.

Give it some legs (2x6 in front for strength).

Test fit and add the 3/4 inch plywood top.

A little perspective (this picture was taken in the day with the doors shut and the lights off).  I had three sonotube skylights and just those two little windows for natural light but I am really impressed with the lighting. If a circuit breaker blows or the power goes out, at least I'll be able to safely walk out. And I won't have to turn on the lights every single time I need to grab something.

Paint - I wouldn't normally do this but Tom inspiried me - screw to the wall and put up the $18 piece of melamine for the top shelf. The melamine is the single item I had to buy for this bench, everything else I had laying around; I guess being a packrat finally pays off!

And the icing on the cake, the closed storage. Insead of cabinets, I elected to grab some tubs that I can label. Best part is I can grab them and take them to the project, unlike a cabinet. I spent about $160 because these were on sale at Menards.

At some point in the future I will polyurethane coat the bench top.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
2/24/18 3:26 p.m.

Looks greatyes

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/24/18 3:41 p.m.

Congratulations! Love that exposed laminated beam.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
2/24/18 3:43 p.m.

My daughter has a nerf gun war youth event at Ashburn Baptist in Orland Park tonight - 6-8pm.  

I should drop by in between.....LOL.   

Chicago Heights?   

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 HalfDork
2/24/18 3:47 p.m.

That is sweet.  Congrats.

Robbie
2/24/18 3:48 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

My daughter has a nerf gun war youth event at Ashburn Baptist in Orland Park tonight - 6-8pm.  

I should drop by in between.....LOL.   

Chicago Heights?   

Do it! Flossmoor now (we moved this summer), but that just means we are about 5 minutes closer to where you will be.

Robbie
2/24/18 3:50 p.m.

Thanks for all the replies and thanks for everyone who commented in my other garage build threads. I'll find it and link it one of these days.

Also, want to thank Tom and gang for the timely and relevant articles. They have been a great help so far.

and posting pics directly uploaded from the phone is GREAT!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/24/18 10:33 p.m.

Dang it. I didn't see this in time. I was looking forward to driving through your yard again.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/24/18 10:41 p.m.

congratulations!

Robbie
2/25/18 12:28 a.m.
Appleseed said:

Dang it. I didn't see this in time. I was looking forward to driving through your yard again.

Come on through anytime. Heads up however, as my wife is planing to install a very large rock in that corner of the yard.

Robbie
2/25/18 12:30 a.m.

2nd garage project, done!

Indy-Barely Functional-Guy
Indy-Barely Functional-Guy SuperDork
2/25/18 7:17 a.m.

Robbie, looks Amazing! Now I understand why you needed that shed to go away. wink

Yep, now you have room for more projects.

drainoil
drainoil HalfDork
2/25/18 7:55 a.m.

Robbie it looks great. I really like the idea behind using the storage bins.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
2/25/18 8:40 a.m.

Looks great man! Now to fill it with rusty Italian cars parts!

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
2/25/18 9:09 a.m.

Great looking shop! yes You've got my vote for next year's shop contest.

STM317
STM317 Dork
2/25/18 10:13 a.m.

That's going to be a great space for you!

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
2/25/18 5:03 p.m.

Nice!  You live in Denver?  I'm in Centennial...

Indy-Barely Functional-Guy
Indy-Barely Functional-Guy SuperDork
2/25/18 5:26 p.m.

Love the natural light. Good decision to add those.

68TR250
68TR250 Reader
2/25/18 6:07 p.m.

Lights!  Look at dem Lights!  Play on Bill Cosby's Shelby Mustang bit.  Fantastic shop!

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
2/25/18 6:39 p.m.
Robbie said:

And the icing on the cake, the closed storage. Insead of cabinets, I elected to grab some tubs that I can label.

I did the same with my basement storage setup except I did a shelf for each course of totes. That way I don't have to remove one to get at the other below it. Very similar construction of the shelf too, but all shelves are 24x96.  You may end up finding or making some stronger boxes of similar size for heavier stuff, as the totes tend to flex and bend if they're heavily loaded. That being said, they don't tend to break.

Robbie
2/25/18 7:26 p.m.
docwyte said:

Nice!  You live in Denver?  I'm in Centennial...

Haha no, I grew up in Denver. I live in Chicago (suburbs) now. I used to hit a lot of the rmc bmwcca autox and track events though. Left Denver in 2009.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/25/18 7:48 p.m.

Needs more lift.laugh

Looks fantastic. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
06OxBYEiOfJ350XobdEEEqLUyizfY4yjTktKzTHK523RJgMG7BINpKxehpaAA92b