1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/7/23 9:17 a.m.

The new scale came in yesterday. As of this am I'm 353.7. I'm going to attribute that to cleaning out the system from eating less and a new scale.

I did over do it yesterday by 73 calories. Probably not a huge deal but I probably should enter food before I eat it instead of after. Lunch is what got me. It was a working lunch with an employee at a Chinese buffet. I kept the meal under 1000 calories but that's 300-400 more than I probably need. 

Once again I'm over on the protein and fats and well under on the sugars, carbs and such. Must be too much carnivore in my system. 

I like salads and such but they are never the first thing to come to mind when it's time to eat. I'll have to work on that. 

More to lose...

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
1/7/23 11:00 a.m.

I went from being a fat POS 30 year old with bad bloodwork and "you should really consider a lifestyle change" from the doctors to a "midwest husky" 40 year old with good bloodwork.  Took a bit of knowledge but it did work out.  

Not being able to outrun the spoon is the big one.  Its depressing to ride my bike for an hour with an accurate power meter (Quarq or Tacx Neo) and see that I only dropped 600-800 kcal.  That sucks.  So I look at it like if I want to eat like a piggy, I better go ride my bike for 2 hours beforehand.  And thats just getting back to even.

Calories In - Calories Out will always win.  How you get there is up to you.  Intermittent fasting works for some people food scales work for some people, prepackaged meals work for some people.  But you gotta find what works for you

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
1/7/23 3:15 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Good news that not all calories are created equally. Specifically protein calories.

Our bodies can't process protein into energy nearly as directly as with carbohydrates, fats, or alcohols. We're only about 80% efficient with protein. The rest gets lost to heat - which is why we get "meat sweats".

Keep doing what you're doing, and focus on those numbers, but don't beat yourself up too much, especially if you're keeping good control on the carbohydrates and alcohols.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
1/7/23 4:01 p.m.

In reply to 93gsxturbo :

Yeah dude. Can't outrun the fork. 

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/8/23 1:36 p.m.
JThw8 said:
CrustyRedXpress said:

EDIT: Have you heard of or considered Semaglutide or a similar medication? 

Out of curiosity are you curious about sema or do you have some experience with it?  Its not a magic bullet, if you arent making lifestyle (eating) changes it will only do so much, but it can help.

No (I'm 5' 11" and 143 lbs) but if I was in Toyman's position I would be considering it. If you have experience or info please share.

Scientific overview: https://erictopol.substack.com/p/the-new-obesity-breakthrough-drugs 

Layperson's overview: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/10/health/obesity-weight-loss-drug-semaglutide.html

==============================================================

I suspect as long as we regard obesity as a personal failing we'll struggle: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/21/opinion/obesity-cause.html

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
1/8/23 7:20 p.m.
CrustyRedXpress said:
JThw8 said:
CrustyRedXpress said:

Out of curiosity are you curious about sema or do you have some experience with it?  Its not a magic bullet, if you arent making lifestyle (eating) changes it will only do so much, but it can help.

No (I'm 5' 11" and 143 lbs) but if I was in Toyman's position I would be considering it. If you have experience or info please share.

Scientific overview: https://erictopol.substack.com/p/the-new-obesity-breakthrough-drugs 

Layperson's overview: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/10/health/obesity-weight-loss-drug-semaglutide.html

I suspect as long as we regard obesity as a personal failing we'll struggle: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/21/opinion/obesity-cause.html

I do not have personal experience but I do have a bit of knowledge about it.  I have nothing negative to say about it, my earlier statement was just what it was, if there are not some lifestyle changes made in conjunction with it then it will not be of much use.  You cant take a shot and eat a cheescake and loose weight :)    That being said I suppose I need some kinda disclaimer here that my opinions are my own and not those of my employer or any related entity.

Toyman!
1/9/23 9:32 a.m.
JThw8 said:
CrustyRedXpress said:
JThw8 said:
CrustyRedXpress said:

I do not have personal experience but I do have a bit of knowledge about it.  I have nothing negative to say about it, my earlier statement was just what it was, if there are not some lifestyle changes made in conjunction with it then it will not be of much use.  You cant take a shot and eat a cheescake and loose weight :)    That being said I suppose I need some kinda disclaimer here that my opinions are my own and not those of my employer or any related entity.

I've done some reading on it. I'm not going to do anything medically unless I'm at my wit's end and just can't get the weight down.  I've still got a lot of fight in me yet so we'll see how it goes. 

Edit to say, I'm 360# but I'm also 6'2" so I'm still taller than I am wide. I'll also say that my obesity is absolutely on me. I love food and I love to do what I want. Every extra pound is absolutely my fault. It's not a mental or health issue, it's an I love to eat issue. I had the education to know what I was doing and did it anyway. Just like I knew that smoking made my clothes stink, wasted $$$$$, and caused cancer but still smoked cigarettes for 30 years.

Life's too short not to enjoy it but I'm at the point where my weight is costing me joy so it's time to do something about it, just like kicking cigarettes 10 years ago. 

Toyman!
1/11/23 7:46 p.m.

7 days in. This am I was still at 353 and change. I have faithfully recorded everything I have eaten. 

No real issues staying under the calorie count. I am going to have to adjust what I eat though. I'm blowing the protein and fats every day. Leftovers from the night before are too heavy and veggies don't reheat well. I think changing lunch up would be easiest.

With that in mind, tell me what's in your favorite salad beyond the usual lettuce, carrots,  shrooms, and such. 

What's your favorite dressing? 

Other ideas for a light lunch?

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Dork
1/11/23 7:53 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Good on you for making it through the first stretch.

I'm not a big salad guy but I've found it I have leftover veggies and need a lighter lunch I'll often just make a small serving of rice. A light sauce on that and 1/2 or 3/4 a cup of rice somehow makes the leftover veggies seem good. Maybe it's the hot sauce or something. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/11/23 7:54 p.m.

Do you have a lunch calorie target?

From a meal prep standpoint, your best friend is a slowcooker or instant pot.

I make a "instant pot chili" (aka lazy chili) that is 354cal per serving.  7.4g fat, 43.2 carb, 29.3 protein.  Pair it with a salad and you have a light yet satisfying lunch (IMO).  Adjust the serving size if need more or less cals.  I usually eat 2 servings + either tortilla chips or multigrain crackers.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/11/23 8:12 p.m.

Ain't nothing wrong with protein and fats.

Some people say a calorie is a calorie but protein keeps you full longer and is harder to over-eat. 

I've never "accidentally" eaten 10 chicken breasts. But 10 cookies? A giant bag of chips? 10 beers? Easy.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
1/12/23 5:37 a.m.
Toyman! said:

With that in mind, tell me what's in your favorite salad beyond the usual lettuce, carrots,  shrooms, and such. 

Base: Plain iceberg lettuce sucks from both a flavor and nutrition standpoint. I either use all spinach or a spinach/kale mix as my base. Can't really overdo it with the portion of greens IMO.

Protein: I try to meal prep this. Chicken is an inexpensive, versatile choice that can be done tons of different ways (grilled, pan fried, teriyaki, fajita style, honey mustard, baked, etc). I've also done steak leftovers, or even ground beef taco meat. The choice here impacts what else I add.

Veggies: Shredded carrots, chopped bell peppers, banana peppers, onion, avocado, cherry tomatoes, etc. Hard to go wrong here from a nutrition perspective. I just try to make it colorful and fitting.

Cheese: I often reach for feta or goat cheese, but sometimes parmesan or a basic shredded cheese is more fitting

Crunch: Croutons aren't the best from a nutrition standpoint, so I try to substitute chopped nuts, tortilla strips, sesame/sunflower/flax seeds, etc. Whatever is on hand and fits

Dressing: Depends on the theme, but I prefer oil based dressings like Italian, vinaigrettes, etc for most cases. If I'm doing a Mexican or taco themed salad I might just use salsa with a dash of taco sauce.

Fruit: I don't do this one often, but sometimes some berries can really fit with some grilled chicken and a light vinaigrette.

Toyman!
1/12/23 7:43 a.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

Some people say a calorie is a calorie but protein keeps you full longer and is harder to over-eat. 

I've never "accidentally" eaten 10 chicken breasts. But 10 cookies? A giant bag of chips? 10 beers? Easy.

Accidently? No. 

On purpose? Well, not breasts, but a fairly regular lunch for me was an 8 piece leg and thigh from Churches. 

Today we are having tuna salad instead. laugh 

Toyman!
1/12/23 7:58 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

You know, I really don't and probably should. 

Breakfast usually ends up around 400-900 calories. I'd like to have 1200-1500 left by dinner time. So I guess lunch should be in the 500-800 range as well. 

Today is going to be tuna salad and a handful of wheat thins. That will be under 400. 

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/12/23 8:04 a.m.

Salad dressings are typically horrible from a "health" standpoint. I use strong flavored olive oil for a dressing. 

also an avocado can do a fair job of lubing up a salad. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/12/23 8:35 a.m.

If I am doing straight salad, I'll do grilled (blackened) chicken, veggies, and I usually do a vinegarette dressing.

The problem I have with salad is the core (veggies) have effectively zero calories.  You can make a bowl of salad anywhere from 50 to 1000 calories pretty easily.  So I usually keep the salad basic - its more a source of fiber and nutrients than any calories, and pair it with something else to be satisfying, hence the chili recommendation above.

If I try to eat just salad I'll be hungry super fast, which I don't think is what you are after.  400 cals might do the trick, but it sounds like based on what you said above you will want something else with it to keep you satisfied.

Toyman!
1/12/23 8:42 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

The salad I had for dinner last night had ham on it. It was OK. Basically lettuce, carrots, mushrooms, ham, a couple of celery sticks, and some ranch. Not exactly inspiring but good enough.

The tuna salad today has a decent amount of protein in it so it should stick around for the afternoon.  

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/12/23 8:57 a.m.

We do a lot of salmon or chicken salads for dinner.  Never iceberg - always romaine, spinich or the spring mixes.  We grill either and chop it up.  Sometimes I add some pasta noodles knowing that kicks up the calorie number. 

There are lots of sweet or Vidalia onions.  Sometimes purple onions.  My salads reflect the Olive Garden salad without the iceberg - only romaine.   Black olives and decent tomato's.  

We own a salad spinner that makes life easier when washing lettuce.  Some of the organic salad might have a chunk off mud in it.  

We also make our own dressing - if we get bored we buy the Tom's Steakhouse brand thousand island.  Many at parties or get togethers compliment my wife on her salad but I'm the one who made it.  

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
1/12/23 8:58 a.m.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Keep it up. Eating healthy, or at least for me, is about momentum. My weight has yo-yoed from 210 to 170 over the last 15 years. I get skinny and then I gain weight. The longest streak of keeping off the weight was when I committed to long term healthy eating. I was a steady 175 for almost 2 years. Now I'm back up to 193. 

Long ramble, but in short, keep eating healthy and keep after it. Mess up? Go back to eating healthy. You got this! 

nlevine
nlevine GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/12/23 10:53 a.m.

We pretty much live from the Skinnytaste series of cookbooks in our house. Most of the recipes are pretty quick to make, with the emphasis on portion control and "everything in moderation." The author has come up with some clever substitutions for things that make them "skinnier", but don't change the fundamental flavor - like using fewer potatoes in a potato soup and substituting cauliflower to provide the extra "body."

TheGloriousW
TheGloriousW Reader
1/12/23 2:54 p.m.
Toyman! said:

7 days in. This am I was still at 353 and change. I have faithfully recorded everything I have eaten. 

No real issues staying under the calorie count. I am going to have to adjust what I eat though. I'm blowing the protein and fats every day. Leftovers from the night before are too heavy and veggies don't reheat well. I think changing lunch up would be easiest.

As long as your not always going over your calorie target (and are getting enough nutrients) you are fine. No need to force eat salads.

If your total calories are in a deficit you will lose weight. But remember calories needed is not a static number, it changes over time.

TheGloriousW
TheGloriousW Reader
1/12/23 2:56 p.m.
Toyman! said:
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

Accidently? No. 

On purpose? Well, not breasts, but a fairly regular lunch for me was an 8 piece leg and thigh from Churches. 

Today we are having tuna salad instead. laugh 

The problem there isn't the chicken, it's the breading.

lateapexer
lateapexer Reader
1/12/23 3:52 p.m.

A calorie is a unit of measurement and is a constant. Some foods are slower to digest than others but that doesn't mean that the calories cease to exist. You still need to be mindful of your total intake.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
1/12/23 4:58 p.m.
Toyman! said:

My favorite dressing is Kroger's Private Selection Fire Roasted Poblano Ranch but it isn't the healthiest. IMO the Ken's Lite Ranch is decent for a light dressing and I like their light Caesar too. 100% agree with everyone saying skip the iceberg in salad.

I generally try to cook enough that I have left overs for the next day and tbh I have found that for the most part even the most unhealthy things I cook at home are generally healthier then anything you can get at most restraunts. Chicken  is go as it is affordable and be done so many different ways.

stroker
stroker PowerDork
1/12/23 5:24 p.m.

I'd strongly recommend having a talk to your GP about your current status re: insulin resistance.   That horse might have already left the barn, but it's an important horse.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
a3J0UDHClkx8RiSY0FeycUzsw8PEepHLI6aiOGD1vXtlZziuNqHqveED52jWMqmk