1 2
NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/26/22 8:34 a.m.

I know there is a thread for F1 chatter that just keeps rolling through the year. I don't think there is one like that for NASCAR so I though my let's give it a roll. 
Opening lines from Loosecannons first post in F1-2022

"Who is excited for the 2022 Season? Drivers moving teams, new drivers,all new cars, 18" wheels, a new Champion defending his title? I am curious how the cars will look different from this year and from each other. Do you think they will be distinguishable from each other without the livery?"

Other than the livery comment I think it's almost the same statement. 

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 SuperDork
2/26/22 9:02 a.m.

I think NASCAR puts on an entertaining show.  I enjoyed Daytona and will be watching Fontana (and pretty much all the races).  I just got Hot Passes reserved for Road America and Gateway and am VERY much looking forward to those weekends. 

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
2/26/22 9:21 a.m.

Dang... I was really hoping that wasn't a typo...

Top Gear Favorite Episode: The English Space Shuttle

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
2/26/22 9:21 a.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

NY Nick
2/26/22 9:30 a.m.

Yep. I just watched a show about the clash race called 100,000 cameras. It showed a lot of social media video spliced with the race. Very cool footage. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/26/22 12:24 p.m.

Anybody watching "Race" on Netflix?  Following Bubba Wallace, and the title certainly has more than one meaning.  The first two episodes were at least moderately even handed.

Not too woke, anyway.

Edit:  And as a pre-emptory rebuttal to the inevitable, Why, then did Michael Waltrip have a ride for so long?

NY Nick
2/26/22 2:39 p.m.

A lot of story lines for 2022. I think Bad Brad becoming an owner is one of them. I used to not be a fan but he has grown on me and his company Kesalowski Additive Manufacturing (KAM) is a pretty big player in the growing additive industry. 
To the moon

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
2/26/22 6:11 p.m.

It just stinks wanting Michael McDowell to win every week.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/26/22 10:09 p.m.

Really, guys?

NY Nick
2/27/22 8:27 a.m.

I was really hoping for an interesting discussion about the sport and the week to week happenings. Not political jabs. I didn't even consider that this forum would go there in less than 10 posts. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/27/22 8:52 a.m.

These cars sure do look like a handful.  I'm about 5 minutes into pre quali practice (Fontana) and there's two cars in the wall all by themselves.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/27/22 10:37 a.m.

And they need to make them easier to get off the track with a flat tire.  More than one flat and they sit on the stops and won't move. Big boom on the tow truck that takes forever to hook up.  Can't drag them onto a rollback without destroying the splitter and diffuser.

Time suck.  Bad for the audience.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/27/22 10:42 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Anybody watching "Race" on Netflix?  Following Bubba Wallace, and the title certainly has more than one meaning.  The first two episodes were at least moderately even handed.

Not too woke, anyway.

Edit:  And as a pre-emptory rebuttal to the inevitable, Why, then did Michael Waltrip have a ride for so long?

Michael Waltrip's tenure as a NASCAR driver baffles me.  Aside from being utterly talentless he was one of the most unpleasant drivers I'd ever met.  That he ended up owning a team is mind boggling. My only theory is that DW had enough dirt on people that they had to let Mikey have a job.   

As for the season in general this is the most I've looked forward to NASCAR in a while.  

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/27/22 10:46 a.m.

I'm looking forward to today's race.  Based on practice and qualifying the cars are hard to drive which is what the drivers have been saying they want.

Some of the stuff we saw at Daytona makes me think that these cars are not going to be as bad about Aero push when behind another car as the old ones.  

slefain
slefain PowerDork
2/27/22 11:55 a.m.

From what I've watched so far the cars seems to be made of paper mache and prone to going airborne. The cars themselves are really cool but the racing excitement just isn't there for me.

NY Nick
2/27/22 5:15 p.m.

This is proving to be a pretty good race so far. Auto club speedway has interesting races because you can run so many different lines quickly. 
the cars do get stuck super easy. Maybe NASCAR needs to watch the chili bowl to see how to push a lot of cars in a hurry. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/27/22 5:54 p.m.

The finishing order in stage one sure displays the new talent that is stepping in.  I figure Tyler Reddick is a heck of a race car driver.  He tucks that car up against the wall and leans on the air as well as, or better than anyone. 

NY Nick
2/27/22 7:45 p.m.

That was a really good finish. I think Larson is a heck of a driver but I have been a Chase fan since he was running super late models. I don't see the defense  of I didn't see him there when he put Chase in the wall. 
I am starting to agree with the theory that these cars a little weak compared to last years too. Light wall scrapes seemed to destroy cars. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/27/22 9:25 p.m.

In reply to NY Nick :

As to sturdy, I think the body is pretty robust.  Harvick backed it in pretty hard on the first lap of practice, and they changed the rear clip and raced the same car.  That sure wouldn't have happened last year.

Rear suspension is maybe more fragile than a stick axle, but a panhard bar failure was pretty common then.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
2/27/22 9:44 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

As for the season in general this is the most I've looked forward to NASCAR in a while.  

Yeah,  since the late 90s for me anyway.  

I didn't get to watch the race due to my work schedule but I'm looking forward to the recap on the Dale Jr. Download. 

drock25too
drock25too HalfDork
2/27/22 10:10 p.m.

I think it was a pretty good race today. Can't wait to see these things on a road course. The Road courses were always my favorite anyway. 

Racing with the new cars as been good so far, I'm really enjoying the level playing feild we currently have with limited cars and parts. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/28/22 8:54 a.m.

They need to do something about the rear suspensions, nothing should be that fragile.  That and figure out the flat tire problems and they'll have a pretty good package.  

NY Nick
3/6/22 3:37 p.m.

I hope that the cup race is as good as the truck race was on Friday. I enjoyed seeing the flyover, F15, F16, F22, F35. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/7/22 8:10 a.m.

The ending of the race irked me. This is a classic you loved it and really like the overtime rule or hate it and the overtime rule sucks type race.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uzES4yDxJlKaU62RTIar8059NAgHaivyjTL1ZS7YMy81yBscDDhAsOba0RuyIrw8