1 2 3
Taiden
Taiden SuperDork
1/19/12 12:58 p.m.

I had a small side hobby a few years back, it was bi-xenon HID projector retrofits. People mail us their headlights, we open them up, perform headlight augmentation, and ship them back. We charge $695 and that includes return shipping.

I was having a horrible time coming up with a name, so I just settled on Bright Night Customs. The website is http://brightnightcustoms.com/

I personally think this is a terrible name. It's too long, it doesn't roll off the tongue well, and it's awful to try to stick it in a logo/etc.

I recently paired up with a friend and we are going to try to have a go with two people involved instead of just one. We are considering changing the name.

The branding right now I believe to be pretty weak, so I don't think that changing the name is going to be so bad. I do know that our name is most widely known in the Subaru world, specifically those on RS25.com as that's where I did most of my business.

Aside from that, most of our traffic is a result of this video (which was not intended to have so many views. Had I known, I would have made more of an attempt to make the video look professional.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFF2XoZJIBo

We've been tossing ideas around but can't seem to come up with anything that really works. Our latest are "Zempt" and "Revtro."

Anyone have any methods for helping generate business names?
Any other suggestions?

Just because:

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/19/12 1:11 p.m.

OK there are two names still not trademarked, "Popplers" and "Zitzzers"

Less joking ideas:

HIDsight

Nocturnal Photonics (bonus points if used with super-serious semiconductor-industry-like logo)

Best I can do. There's a reason I don't work in marketing

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
1/19/12 1:12 p.m.

How's about a GRM discount?

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/19/12 1:14 p.m.

Photon cannons.

cwh
cwh SuperDork
1/19/12 1:14 p.m.

BrightKnight?

92CelicaHalfTrac
1/19/12 1:15 p.m.

Imma Firing Mah Lazer!

IFML for short.

GameboyRMH
1/19/12 1:17 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Imma Firing Mah Lazer!

ShoopCo?

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
1/19/12 1:18 p.m.

Pro-Beams
Solar Night
Hi-Def Customs
Beam Fitters
2 Guys Pro Lights (shameless 5 guys burgers and fries knock off)
Beam FX
Project HID

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
1/19/12 1:18 p.m.

I don't care for company names that are made up words - stick with something that is descriptive of what you do. Maybe go with just Bright Nights, and leave off the Customs part (everything these days is custom this, custom that.)

ThePhranc
ThePhranc Reader
1/19/12 1:20 p.m.

LuminTech

92CelicaHalfTrac
1/19/12 1:21 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Imma Firing Mah Lazer!
ShoopCo?

LOL!!!!! YES!!!

gamby
gamby SuperDork
1/19/12 1:27 p.m.

trendy 2000's buzzword-style: High Intensity Solutions

Ugly to have "discharge" in one's business name.

Illuminati

Lumens

mAd tR0n H3aDLiGhTs y0!!11!

I dunno. If you already have a customer base/presence with the old name, keep it.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/19/12 2:03 p.m.

Featherlite.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 SuperDork
1/19/12 2:08 p.m.

High Beams

pilotbraden
pilotbraden Dork
1/19/12 2:19 p.m.

High Velocity Gleamers

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
1/19/12 2:29 p.m.

As a marketing professional I'm going to suggest that the name be tied directly to what you do. No names that sound cool and tell people nothing about your business.

With that said, I'm running on 3 hours of sleep and can't come up with anything good right now.

GameboyRMH
1/19/12 2:34 p.m.

Hey where's pinchvalve, he's a marketroid

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/19/12 2:36 p.m.

I hate to say it given the way it was presented, but High Intensity Solutions kinda works. To be more precise, High Intensity Lighting is quite clear about what you do.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
1/19/12 2:45 p.m.

Nice Headlights. (As a bonus, you can probably find t-shirts all ready to go.)

Margie

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Dork
1/19/12 2:48 p.m.

Lucas Headlight Solutions The name Lucas has all ways been paired with high quality auto electric and auto lights . DayGlowHeadlightsolutions dot com ................ Make sure you keep the old name and link to new site

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/19/12 2:48 p.m.

I like 'brightnightcustoms'. Why not shorten it to 'BNC' or incorporate the lighting aspect as in 'BNC Lighting'?

Don't make it hard for your existing customers to be repeat customers.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Reader
1/19/12 3:02 p.m.

+1 for High Intensity Solutions.

Or just leave the customs off the current name. You should really stick with a name that is descriptive.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
1/19/12 3:17 p.m.
clutchsmoke wrote: +1 for High Intensity Solutions.

Stop this!!! I'm so not a fan of the glut of businesses with "solutions" in their names--thus the after my "suggestion"

...but if OP uses it, I want a free t-shirt.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 SuperDork
1/19/12 3:21 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: Nice Headlights. (As a bonus, you can probably find t-shirts all ready to go.) Margie

LOL. And he could come up with some racy calendars with scantily-clad well-endowed models.

MG Bryan
MG Bryan HalfDork
1/19/12 3:28 p.m.
1988RedT2 wrote:
Marjorie Suddard wrote: Nice Headlights. (As a bonus, you can probably find t-shirts all ready to go.) Margie
LOL. And he could come up with some racy calendars with scantily-clad well-endowed models.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
e4gstDZHgh58MxyOYc3b4zy3IfmaZePJYLdkeLUr3d1LxjNqZS7NfAiErjEvezNT