1 2 3
curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/11/11 2:27 a.m.

I'll try to keep this short, but I'll fail.

My wife and I have been searching to buy our first home. I'm one of those people who needs to learn and research every facet of things before I buy. This means that it sometimes takes me 4 days to decide which toothbrush I want to buy. So, home buying has taken me years and I still feel uninformed. We have passed on several bargains because they didn't feel "right" and we finally figured out why.

What we want is a massive warehouse in which we section off 2000 feet for living space. So, I started searching for commercial warehouses, pole sheds, barns, old auto shops, etc. They are relatively scarce in Austin so they tend to go for a premium. Then to top it off, the taxes are insane. I just looked at a pretty fair shop property (6000-ft shop, bonus 1000-ft building) listed at $299k with a ton of bonus stuff; three lifts, a nice boat, an efficiency apartment in one building, compressor... a large list of extras. But, until you factor in taxes, its a $4000 a month payment on a $299k property. Taxes are over $10k a year. Ouch. I decided to skip the commercial property idea.

There are a plethora of unzoned areas around Austin with a shocking lack of rules on which I could build what I want. I've used some CAD software to build a 60' x 120' steel building with insulation, doors, windows, etc. My two best friends are a plumber and an electrician and I'm a pretty fair hand at general contracting, so once the main structure is erected we can build darn near anything we want inside of it.

The building itself with doors, insulation, windows, and a bunch of little extras quotes out to around $60k. I figure $6k for a proper slab, $2k for plumbing materials/labor, $10k for framing/drywalling the living part, $8k for electrical and heat/AC in the residence, $10k for the land, $5k for permits (if required), $12k for paint, cabinetry, appliances, bath fixtures, etc.....

I know I'm missing a few million things, but doesn't it seem like I could build a dream house/shop for about $150k? That's cheaper than most of the 3/2 houses around here on a postage stamp lot with a 1-car garage.

So, the main questions I have are:

• what expenses am I missing?
  • I understand that getting a loan for this isn't like getting a house loan. I do plan on partially funding my life by repairing some vehicles in this shop under a DBA - any hope of some government grant/loan help? If so, where do I go to find it?
  • are there any good resources to find this stuff out? I don't know if this is true everywhere, but in TX realtors are paid commission by the seller, not the buyer. This means they work for the seller and hope to target buyers who already know everything. The last thing they want is to hold a first time buyer's hand through the process so I've been through 5 or 6 realtors who don't want to do any work for me at all. They send me spam all the time and they are "there for me" if I'm ready to open up the wallet, but that's it. How do I learn what I need to learn? I've been trying for a while and evidently haven't found the right resources.
  • any of you guys done something similar? I think what I'm trying to do is either A) build a new home and have a DBA so I can partially fund the mortgage, or B) build a new business where I happen to live as well.

Tips? Criticisms? Ideas?

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
4/11/11 5:24 a.m.

First couple thoughts- I'll add more later.

What you are describing is called mixed-use. It's not permissible in the building code, which I know you don't care about. But there is a reason for it that is worth considering.

Mixed use structures are inherently more risky. People sleeping or preparing food in the same space where cars are worked on or products are manufactured is a recipe for higher potential for small problems becoming big ones. A fire becomes a tragedy, simple fumes or dust become a major health risk, etc.

That's why you will have trouble with lenders, insurance people, etc.

Also, remember that a non-zoned area works both ways. You can do whatever you want, but there is nothing stopping someone from putting a pig farm or a chemical plant on the property next door.

You should look at AG zoning, and you should consider 2 separate structures (one for living in, one for work).

DBA- Why? Taxes will kill you, and risks are all yours. Incorporate. Look into it- you'll find it makes sense.

I would suggest incorporating as a non-profit offering repair services on an as-you-can-pay basis. This will enable you to receive charitable donations, work with churches and other non-profits, and give you a great marketing spin to grow the business from.

Steel building- insulation (to make it suitable for a residence) is a lot more than you think. Doors, windows, etc. quoted for a standard steel building suck for insulating value for a residence. $8K won't come close to the needs for HVAC for this structure. Do you need to AC your shop?

Realtors- there shouldn't be any reason why you can't hire a buyer's broker. But they probably won't be able to give you the help you need. Talk to a realtor who specializes in commercial, or farm/ag properties or a business broker.

Don't forget there are not very many people (off this board) who would not buy what you are talking about. It my be your dream house, but it may also be difficult to sell (another reason banks won't touch it).

As a first time home buyer there are a lot of incentives and opportunities you will be missing if you buy a non-residential property. Might be worth putting up with a "standard" property that you move through to something bigger once you have built up the business to justify it.- just a thought.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill SuperDork
4/11/11 7:27 a.m.

I have nothing to add to that.

curtis73
4/11/11 10:10 a.m.
SVreX wrote: First couple thoughts- I'll add more later.

a COUPLE? Great post, man

What you are describing is called mixed-use. It's not permissible in the building code, which I know you don't care about. But there is a reason for it that is worth considering.

Why not permissible? Every commercial real estate website has a search option for mixed-use. Its actually kind of an emerging trend down here. Like this: http://www.cityfeet.com/Commercial/ForSale/9907-Oliver-Drive-Austin-TX-78736-16743100L0L0.aspx

Mixed use structures are inherently more risky. People sleeping or preparing food in the same space where cars are worked on or products are manufactured is a recipe for higher potential for small problems becoming big ones. A fire becomes a tragedy, simple fumes or dust become a major health risk, etc.

I fully understand what you're saying, but I might not have been clear. The living space and the garage space would be separated by a complete fire-rated wall. Granted, the surface area exposure between the two is much higher than residential, but we already have a 3-hour fire wall designed for it.

That's why you will have trouble with lenders, insurance people, etc.

Anyone here own a bank and an insurance company?

Also, remember that a non-zoned area works both ways. You can do whatever you want, but there is nothing stopping someone from putting a pig farm or a chemical plant on the property next door.

I think I'm prepared for that. That's how I grew up - in an unzoned area. We had a commercial chicken farm behind us, a horse farm on one side, and condos on the other. The breeze would shift and we would smell the poop from 63,000 chickens. Mom would smile and say something like, "smell that? That is the smell of our neighbor's success." And we bought cheap eggs and always had chicken in the fridge thanks to them. Dad had a little side thing with fixing tractors and the horse farm always brought him money. If a cult moved in next door I think my family would have said, "here is a great opportunity to learn about something we don't understand."

You should look at AG zoning, and you should consider 2 separate structures (one for living in, one for work).

the two structures was our first thought - buy a house on a sizeable property like normal people and add a separate 60 x 80 shop. That (by my current calculations) would cost about 4 times as much. Buying the house and land would probably be in the $400k range, plus the raw garage structure in the $40k range plus electric, water, etc. It could easily get to be a $600k investment and not be what we want.

On the other hand, unimproved, unzoned land goes cheap (in the neighborhood of $2k-3k per acre). Then $60k for the building with insulation and doors, then the wall to separate it, etc (like I outlined before)

I started looking into AG zoning and stopped after I got a more apocalyptic set of answers than this one. Not sure if its Texas or everywhere, but the taxes here on AG property are insane. AG property also goes for an incredible premium down here. If you can put 30 head of dairy cattle on it, expect it to sell for (literally) about 10 times what even a prime residential property would sell for. Plus, in order to get true AG zoning I would have to live much too far out of town. I'll look into again, but I saw a 3.5 acre plot in Elgin with a wasted pole shed that sold in a week for $1.3M. No water, electric, sewer, nothing. Just dirt with a pole shed. Estimated taxes were $30,000/year. Now, of course you get a percentage of those taxes back if you actually have livestock or show a profit on horticulture, but you have to pay it, then apply for AG exemption and they send some of it back from what I understand.

I would suggest incorporating as a non-profit offering repair services on an as-you-can-pay basis. This will enable you to receive charitable donations, work with churches and other non-profits, and give you a great marketing spin to grow the business from.

Can you do that??? I thought that getting non-profit status was far more difficult than that. I thought you had to do something more specific like pet rescue, health care, or religious stuff. I never got the impression that you could set up a charitable auto repair.

Steel building- insulation (to make it suitable for a residence) is a lot more than you think. Doors, windows, etc. quoted for a standard steel building suck for insulating value for a residence. $8K won't come close to the needs for HVAC for this structure. Do you need to AC your shop?

Even if I could afford A/C for the shop, I couldn't afford the $500/month to run it... so, no, I don't need A/C for the shop. The insulation that is spec'd out is 8-inch insulation with foam-skin walls in the shop, and R-32 for the residential walls, R-22 for the residential roof, plus the long-term plans include photoelectric panels on the residence which will suck up a large portion of the heat energy before it even reaches the roof.

According to my calculations, the residence will need about a 3-ton unit, but the open/loft style will keep complex ducting and zone climates to a minimum. There is a pretty crazy supply of free wood around these parts - even people advertising on CL that they will pay YOU $100 to take some dead oaks off their ranch, (to prevent oak blight from wiping out their population) so wood heat is a viable option supplemented with gas heat and/or solar/electric.

Don't forget there are not very many people (off this board) who would not buy what you are talking about. It my be your dream house, but it may also be difficult to sell (another reason banks won't touch it).

That is likely not a concern given two factors... A) the length in which we would plan to stay and B) smaller properties exactly like this down here are selling like hotcakes for $500k. Seems to be a trend... how long the trend lasts might be the rub.

As a first time home buyer there are a lot of incentives and opportunities you will be missing if you buy a non-residential property. Might be worth putting up with a "standard" property that you move through to something bigger once you have built up the business to justify it.- just a thought.

Not sure why, but we have an irrational spite for the whole idea of buying something we hate just because its an affordable "stepping stone" on our way to buying something better. What if the market changes again and we're stuck in that hated house for another decade? The whole idea of spending a life savings on a down payment on something that we could take a bath on, be stuck in, and hate to the core doesn't really seem like something we feel like we should be forced to like. If we were truly faced with that option, we would quite honestly use our savings to buy a travel trailer and move back into it like we did for our first 5 years and travel the continent again.

The whole idea of buying something we don't want in the hopes that we can buy something better by the time we retire is not our mindset. That's kinda a baby boomer thing (not saying its wrong, just different)

We both watched as our parents and aunts and uncles did the whole start-in-the-mailroom-and-work-your-way-to-the-top mentality and it ended up just meaning they spent the majority of their lives hating the world while holding on to a feeble potential that it will turn into the golden 8 years of a good salary at the end, then they retired and had heart attacks. I know I just sound like a gen-x hippie (which I am) but its not an attractive option for us. I want it all and I want it now (not really, but if I can make it work, I will)

Having said that, there is a reason that people do it. It works. There is also a reason that people don't do what I'm proposing. Its a new idea that isn't proven.

I also don't wish to sound unappreciative for your wonderful insight... its invaluable. There are several things you suggest that I haven't explored and will definitely look into.

curtis73
4/11/11 10:15 a.m.

I had another idea. Can I maybe add some things to attract government grants? My wife is a pet rescue freak and we have considered doing a non-profit for her rescue website. I also considered maintaining the property as a bird sanctuary, buying three Jersey cows (milk, hamburger, AND cheap taxes).

Any of these things fall into the knowledge set of anyone here?

Conquest351
Conquest351 Reader
4/11/11 10:26 a.m.

Hey Curtis. I'm actually a licensed Texas Realtor. I specialize in farm/ranch/etc. properties as that's about all we have up here. Have you looked into Hutto or Leander yet? Those are great places in North Austin for that kinda stuff. I know acreage is not cheap there, but it'll be worth it.

You also have to factor in the septic/waste water systems. If you're going to run it into city septic, you need a completely seperate waste system for the shop due to chemicals. If you're just going to call it a metal frame home and make the home from the shop and not claim the shop as a money maker, then you're Ok from what I recall. You just claim it as a private big ass garage.

If you're going to get an Ag exemption, then you need to look at the animal per acre limit and make sure you meet it. We have 47 acres and 5 horses. We are Ag exempt. Cows, pigs, chickens, etc. all have different limits/requirements for you to be Ag exempt.

Let me know if I can help you man.

Laters,

Brian

curtis73
4/11/11 10:43 a.m.
Conquest351 wrote: Hey Curtis. I'm actually a licensed Texas Realtor.

You are my new best friend. I'll PM you later.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
4/11/11 10:56 a.m.

I'm a Texas lender. Financing, insurance, appraisal and resale will be the killers.

You simply cannot get any normal type of mortgage. You'd better have a banker friend who loves you and will make you a loan based upon your personal assets. Cry when you see the interest rate and terms.

curtis73
4/11/11 11:08 a.m.
carguy123 wrote: I'm a Texas lender. Financing, insurance, appraisal and resale will be the killers.

I guess I wonder why everyone is saying "resale..." There are plenty of properties exactly like what I'm planning that are selling for anywhere from $400k to $1.5M.

I understand that financing will be the killer. That's why I was hoping for some government help in the form of grants or interest free loans for new, non-profit business.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
4/11/11 11:16 a.m.
curtis73 wrote: The building itself with doors, insulation, windows, and a bunch of little extras quotes out to around $60k. I figure $6k for a proper slab, $2k for plumbing materials/labor, $10k for framing/drywalling the living part, $8k for electrical and heat/AC in the residence, $10k for the land, $5k for permits (if required), $12k for paint, cabinetry, appliances, bath fixtures, etc.....

Your prices here are WAAAAY too low. That's what you're missing. I just spent $19k on kitchen cabinets alone last year. They're nice cherry cabinets, yes, but they are not exceptionally high-end rich folks type. There is no way you could get anything of reasonable quality to include all of the "paint, cabinetry, appliances, batch fixtures, etc..." for $12k. And that's off the top of my head.

Also, you want R32 in the roof and R15-20 in the walls. Biggest heatloss is up, biggest sun load is down.

Josh
Josh Dork
4/11/11 11:21 a.m.

Ikea, man. If you're not picky about finishes and you have time to put them together, you can get a decent sized kitchen worth of cabinets with reasonably well made boxes and pretty high end hardware for around $2500, exclusive of counters, fixtures, appliances, etc.

Don49
Don49 Reader
4/11/11 12:17 p.m.

I had a similar set up that I lived/worked in for 8 years. I had 3000 feet of shop and 600 feet of living space. One thing I would reccomend is to have a foyer entrance to the living area. It worked very well for me to keep the dirt and smells from the shop out of the living space. I was doing body work / painting and race car fabrication in the shop. The convenience of a 5 foot commute to work was great. My setup was also on multiple acres so the large tow rigs and trailers associated with the race cars were never a problem. Good luck with your project.

curtis73
4/11/11 12:27 p.m.
Duke wrote: Your prices here are WAAAAY too low. That's what you're missing. I just spent $19k on kitchen cabinets alone last year. They're nice cherry cabinets, yes, but they are not exceptionally high-end rich folks type. There is no way you could get anything of reasonable quality to include all of the "paint, cabinetry, appliances, batch fixtures, etc..." for $12k. And that's off the top of my head.

I disagree. If I were going to Lowe's and buying new nice cabinets, granite counters, and porcelain designer sinks, yes. If I'm sourcing reclaimed freebies from CL then I actually think my estimates are high. One of my luxuries is time. While we build and finish the living space I will be scavenging tons of stuff while living in an RV parked in the space. I already have some stainless sinks, 10 solid wood fire-rated doors, and a pile of leftover PT lumber from people's deck projects, all sourced free. Keep in mind that we prefer industrial living spaces. We don't need granite counter tops and cherry cabinets. We need simplicity and function, not luxury. And never underestimate the glory of a commercial auction for a restaurant. You can get industrial fridges, miles of stainless cabinetry, and massive stoves for pennies.

My last apartment I got the landlord to pay me to remodel the kitchen. I did it entirely with CL freebies and probably spent about $500 in glues, screws, plumbing fittings, etc. The only indication that it wasn't brand new was the slight wear on the used oak cabinets. The countertops were all butcherblock that I made by laminating free hardwood scraps I found on CL.

Also, you want R32 in the roof and R15-20 in the walls. Biggest heatloss is up, biggest sun load is down.

Agreed, but right now I'm having a brain block on designing and suspending adequate insulation without dropping a flat ceiling from the roof and making an attic. I'm sure it can happen, I'm just not there yet.

Fletch1
Fletch1 Reader
4/11/11 12:34 p.m.

I'm getting ready to build on 2 acres of property that my dad is going to deed to me. Its zoned multi-use and has always been used for commerical. He has a 36x60 Morton building left and we are going to put a 16ft garage door on the end of it and use it as a garage. When we have it reappraised, it should be put back to residential with cheaper taxes. The house will be almost 1,000 sqft smaller than the garage(1250sqft) Is this something like you want?:

http://www.mortonbuildings.com/Home-Cabin/Morton-Buildings.aspx

Man, none of my business, but I would buy a house with land and just build a pole building close to it. Those taxes are crazy!

curtis73
4/11/11 12:56 p.m.
Fletch1 wrote: Is this something like you want?: http://www.mortonbuildings.com/Home-Cabin/Morton-Buildings.aspx

Yes, exactly... but not quite that extravagant. My current design is 60 x 120, all one straight gabled roof, 16' walls, 26' at the peak. 5 bays at 24' each, and the living space will be the first bay. So, its 1440 ft, and I'll put a loft master bedroom over about a third of the floor space, so about a total of 2000 ft of floor space. That leaves 4 bays (60 x 96) for shop space.

Let me try to get some of my CAD drawings scanned in and I'll post them.

curtis73
4/11/11 1:00 p.m.

Ok, i couldn't get a 3D rendering in my other software, so I whipped this one up super quick and dirty on ICON's software. living area is closest to you. Inside the living space, imagine a small loft space on the left with a guest room upstairs and down, each with a bath, then a large loft on the right with the master upstairs and kitchen downstairs.

Basic specs: 60 x 120 total, 8 ft canopies at 12' high, large door on the end is 12w x 14h, the rest are 10 x 12. The back side (not visible) has a matching 12 x 14 and one 10 x 12 countering the four on the front.

Walls are 16'h with the peak at 26'h.

Living space is 24 x 60 with two lofts totalling about 2000 ft of floor space, 3br/2ba.

Fletch1
Fletch1 Reader
4/11/11 2:18 p.m.

Two things pop up in my head because when I was single, we thought about turning that 36x60 Morton I was talking about into a house and leaving the other half for a garage. My dad knows construction fairly well and was concerned about flooding since it was on a slab foundation and it flooded once before. We thought about building up the floor of the house section. That brings up the second point of which you would have to run ductwork and plumping above ground if it's like most buildings on a slab.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/11/11 2:22 p.m.
curtis73 wrote:
Conquest351 said: I am a Texas realtor
I heart you
carguy123 wrote: I'm a Texas lender.
I heart you also

I am a Nigerian Prince...

Conquest351
Conquest351 Reader
4/11/11 2:38 p.m.

I made this plan for my friend Nick. Feel free to steal it...

Duke
Duke SuperDork
4/11/11 2:41 p.m.
Josh wrote: Ikea, man. If you're not picky about finishes and you have time to put them together, you can get a decent sized kitchen worth of cabinets with reasonably well made boxes and pretty high end hardware for around $2500, exclusive of counters, fixtures, appliances, etc.

Which leave $9500 for countertops, appliances, bathroom fixtures, paint, etc. that he had in the original $12k. Not gonna happen unless you buy the crappiest stuff available or go used and get lucky.

Conquest351
Conquest351 Reader
4/11/11 2:46 p.m.

If you're going to start from day one making this thing a habitable residence, then your plumbing and everything shouldn't be an issue. Also, the slab/foundation should be built high enough off the ground for the flooding to be a non-issue. Again, this is IF you specify from DAY ONE that it's going to be a residence. Otherwise, yes, flooding is a great point. Also make sure the foundation is engineered for the weight it's going to sustain being a shop. Residential foundations aren't built to withstand all that. You're basically going to have to get a custom builder who's knowledgeable.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
4/11/11 3:03 p.m.
curtis73 wrote:
carguy123 wrote: I'm a Texas lender. Financing, insurance, appraisal and resale will be the killers.
I guess I wonder why everyone is saying "resale..." There are plenty of properties exactly like what I'm planning that are selling for anywhere from $400k to $1.5M. I understand that financing will be the killer. That's why I was hoping for some government help in the form of grants or interest free loans for new, non-profit business.

If financing is an issue for you it will also be an issue for anyone wanting to purchase your "home" when you want to sell.

People willing to take the rates and terms will usually only be willing ONLY if the property fits their needs to a T. Cutting out reasonable financing cuts out most of your buyers. Cutting out even more who don't share your dream exactly as you want it leaves you with even fewer buyers.

Now place your "home" in an area with limited appeal and the potential for a resale are just about nil.

We've done loans for people who have hangers and homes combined and except in areas where that type of property is common the financing always kills the sale.

How much does financing help/hurt? Recent figures showed that 68% of people who could have bought a home just prior to the 2008 election can no longer buy due to mortgage rule changes. I'm not talking subprime either, I'm talking people with good credit, good downpayments, and a stable work/job history.

That was prior to the new Feds rule that went into place April 5th that cut the ability of people to secure loans even further. 4 out of 5 people I currently am working with that began the process under the old rules would not be able to secure a mortgage under the new rules. That doesn't mean that 4 out of 5 people all over America can no longer get a loan, that was just the luck of the draw on the loans I have in process at the moment, but people wanting a home loan under $100,000 have just been dealt a really big blow to the dream of owning a home. And people with large loans have just had their rates kicked up several ticks.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Dork
4/11/11 4:01 p.m.

1859 North US Highway 281, Johnson City, Texas 78636 - Perfect ranch-live-work opportunity just 1.25 miles North of the Pedernales River in Johnson City, Texas. Structures include: a 1998 Schult 2,300 SF 3 bedroom 2 bathroom manufactured home with many luxury features; a 225 SF efficiency unit and a separate 150 SF living area with bathroom (shower only) - both structures stay cool under a 60' X 60' pole barn; a horse shed. Improvements are on a septic system with a 20 GPM well. Total monthly rental income from homes is $1,125 + utilities. Land size is 10.01 acres with 400' of frontage on US Highway 281 North. 9.01 acres are ag exempt. Land features 2 pastures and a 50' X 50' pond. Kids attend Johnson City Schools. To visit the property, take 281 1.25 miles North of the Pedernales River. Property has a green automatic entry gate. Asking price is $275,000. Call RE Broker Mark D. Blake at 512-293-1041 today for additional information and a property tour. Flyer. Information about brokerage services. Survey.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
4/11/11 4:04 p.m.

Go to the Shop Talk section of Pirate 4x4. There are a lot of guys with similar setups (many from Texas IIRC).

Conquest351
Conquest351 Reader
4/11/11 4:39 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: Go to the Shop Talk section of Pirate 4x4. There are a lot of guys with similar setups (many from Texas IIRC).

Cuz Texas is where you find all the crazy car guys with land and wild imaginations. LOL

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zlnpgps4ZZNv2xTbRwZcQiNodKmezr183aDHCRIYeowVKcsTOOpPFAhVg634LwUh