1 2 3 4
Salanis
Salanis Dork
7/30/08 12:25 p.m.

Anything you can say can be used against you. Nothing you say to the police can be used for you.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/30/08 1:08 p.m.

Yeah, watch that first vid in particular at the start of this thread. Then you can appreciate why that cop that killed his last couple of wives is still walking about a free man.

Now the Arkansan Rapper here, he was already under the CJ system so the vast majority of his rights have already been tossed out the window. That's why 3% of our population is under the CJ system: The government now them outright. But, he still screwed up several times. No consenting to searching his property, no opening the safe (DUH), and when they start asking questions, "Am I free to go?"

scotaku
scotaku New Reader
7/30/08 8:28 p.m.
spitfirebill wrote:
geowit wrote:
scotaku wrote: Obviously our slant has gone to speeding... so my best defense and best advice is to drive in a way that doesn't get you stopped to begin with. The easiest cop not to talk to is the one stopping someone else.
Doesn't always work either. Got pulled over on Memorial Day by a local that claimed I was going 54 in a 35. I was 2nd in a line of 4 cars. Since it was the wife's car, got the speedometer certified by a state inspection station and decide to take it before the district magistrate. The ticket came in the mail and the model of car was wrong as well as the time of the offense. Took my wife with me and the cop gave his testimony and I stated that my wife was my witness. The magistrate forced me to take the stand against my will. Told my story and the wife testified that we were going the limit. Magistrate said the cop was doing his job. Guilty.
That's pretty much been my experience.

I'm teaching a teenager how to drive right now so it is no wonder the magistrate found geowit guilty. Any driver should be able to judge their speed without looking down at a gauge.* Officer Friendly was being kind by marking the ticket at 19 over... at 20+ over, he/she probably has to do a bit more that write a ticket. So I'll stand by my advice; it's easy not to have to talk to cops if you don't get stopped to begin with.

• The corollary to that rule is any enthusiast driver should know where they can go to get a lawful speed fix. The only cops at those places are racers who aren't on duty.
geowit
geowit Reader
7/31/08 12:57 p.m.
scotaku wrote:
spitfirebill wrote:
geowit wrote:
scotaku wrote: Obviously our slant has gone to speeding... so my best defense and best advice is to drive in a way that doesn't get you stopped to begin with. The easiest cop not to talk to is the one stopping someone else.
Doesn't always work either. Got pulled over on Memorial Day by a local that claimed I was going 54 in a 35. I was 2nd in a line of 4 cars. Since it was the wife's car, got the speedometer certified by a state inspection station and decide to take it before the district magistrate. The ticket came in the mail and the model of car was wrong as well as the time of the offense. Took my wife with me and the cop gave his testimony and I stated that my wife was my witness. The magistrate forced me to take the stand against my will. Told my story and the wife testified that we were going the limit. Magistrate said the cop was doing his job. Guilty.
That's pretty much been my experience.
I'm teaching a teenager how to drive right now so it is no wonder the magistrate found geowit guilty. Any driver should be able to judge their speed without looking down at a gauge.* Officer Friendly was being kind by marking the ticket at 19 over... at 20+ over, he/she probably has to do a bit more that write a ticket. So I'll stand by my advice; it's easy not to have to talk to cops if you don't get stopped to begin with. * The corollary to that rule is any enthusiast driver should know where they can go to get a lawful speed fix. The only cops at those places are racers who aren't on duty.

Apparently your powers of observation are not as keen as you would like to think. The key to my statement was Officer Friendly CLAIMED I was going 54 mph. I indeed did know how fast I was traveling and it was not anywhere near 54 mph. Officer Friendly claimed he so accurately timed me with a STOP WATCH. In PA, only state troopers are allowed to use radar. And another quirk of our state is that there is a grace of 10 mph for any speed limits under 55 mph which means locals can't even cite you unless your going at least 11 mph over the limit. I guess your also all right with the fact that the magistrate stomped all over my 5th amendment rights by forcing me to testify. This kangaroo court also operated on the premise that I had to prove the LEO was wrong rather that making him prove that I had actually committed an offense. Don't worry though. There will be an appeal, this time with counsel.

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
7/31/08 1:04 p.m.

^^ good to know next time I'm down in PA, or best if I dont try my luck

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/31/08 1:28 p.m.

Yeah, you got railroaded, geowit, as we all have in traffic court. And BTW, as far as I understand it, and I don't claim to be an esquire, 5th ammendment rights don't count in (most states') traffic court, as it is considered a "civil" offense. Just how that is when there are people with guns and badges taking your money, I don't know, but that's how it's set up so your rights can be trampled with impunity. That also effects things like reasonable doubt and a jury consensus.

Next time, just hire an esquire. It's not right, but that's the game, that's how to play to win. I lived in League City, TX for six years. That has to be one of the ticket capitals of Texas, and that's what 6 years of living there taught me. That and I don't want to ever live in League City again.

jrw1621
jrw1621 New Reader
7/31/08 4:04 p.m.

^^^^ It is called "The Legal System" for a reason. Around here in Ohio the way "The System" works is that you higher a Lawyer (preferably one that contributes to Political party of the Judge) and you come away with a lesser fine and a non-moving violation that results in no-point.

1. The municipality gets paid from your non-moving violation. ("excessive noise" is a common non-moving violation)

2. The Lawyer gets paid

3. The Judge gets funded.

I know this seems very "conspiracy theory" style but this has been my observation.

PS to all: I have really enjoyed reading this topic and watching the videos.

scotaku
scotaku New Reader
7/31/08 5:47 p.m.
geowit wrote: Apparently your powers of observation are not as keen as you would like to think. The key to my statement was *Officer Friendly CLAIMED I was going 54 mph. I indeed did know how fast I was traveling and it was not anywhere near 54 mph. *Officer Friendly claimed he so accurately timed me with a STOP WATCH. In PA, only state troopers are allowed to use radar. And another quirk of our state is that there is a grace of 10 mph for any speed limits under 55 mph which means locals can't even cite you unless your going at least 11 mph over the limit. I guess your also all right with the fact that the magistrate stomped all over my 5th amendment rights by forcing me to testify. This kangaroo court also operated on the premise that I had to prove the LEO was wrong rather that making him prove that I had actually committed an offense. Don't worry though. There will be an appeal, this time with counsel.

You were "2nd in a line of 4 cars" and you got stopped... probably for doing the same speed as the car ahead of you. Point is, you put yourself in the position of having to choose how you were going to talk to a cop... not the driver ahead of you nor either of the drivers behind you. Where it happened or what rules the cops have to play by make no difference. You control your own car. Get it?

Good luck with the appeal.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/31/08 10:17 p.m.
scotaku wrote: Good luck with the appeal.

YEAH! Good luck i.e. yer screwed!

We all know the police never lie.

The corollary to that is the police are never wrong.

A friend once proved a cop as a liar in court by proving, beyond doubt, his car couldn't have accelerated to the speed the officer supposedly radar'ed him at.

I once proved an officer wrong by measuring the point on the road where the officer testified I was clocked with radar. The manufacturer stated, in the gun's documentation, that the gun wouldn't read accurately at that distance.

16vCorey
16vCorey Dork
8/1/08 8:28 a.m.

I got screwed over by a cop in PA once, in some podunk town between Lancaster and Harrisburg, shortly after I moved there. I got pulled over for speeding, and I was speeding, so I deserved the ticket. I was poor as dirt at the time, so I decided to go to court, with a receipt that showed that I had my speedometer repaired a few days after I got pulled over. I was going to go in, tell the judge that my speedometer wasn't working, show him the receipt that I had it repaired, and ask for some pity. So the town's traffic court was in this tiny little office building, and the ticketing officer and I were sitting in the lobby waiting for the judge. Here's the summery of the conversation I had with the cop while waiting:

Cop: When I pulled you over, did I mention that you need to have your plates changed over?

Me: No?(slightly confused as to what he's talking about)

Cop: Oh, well when you move to PA, you're supposed to have your plates changed over to PA plates within 30 days, and I noticed you still have Indiana plates.

Me: Oh, Sorry officer, I didn't know that. I'll get that taken care of as soon as possible.

Cop: Alright. No problem.

So we get in front of the judge, I tell him my story, give him the receipt, etc., and he says:

Judge: Alright, I understand where you're coming from. Is there anything you'd like to add, Officer Assface?

Lying E36 M3berkeley cop: Although he was very cooperative and polite when I pulled him over, when I had him stopped I told him that he needs to get his plates changed over, and I noticed his car in the parking lot still has Indiana plates.

What a lying piece of E36 M3.

PeteWW
PeteWW New Reader
8/1/08 3:17 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: I lived in League City, TX for six years. That has to be one of the ticket capitals of Texas, and that's what 6 years of living there taught me.

I've been in League City for about a dozen years now, and I haven't had nearly the bad experience that you did.

Somewhat related, a friend was an instigator/leader in a movement to oust the apparently corrupt mayor and several city councilmen, who lost in the primary. There was a shady deal that sold a condemned bridge and bayou to a developer, as well as what appears to be a conspiracy to close a gun range at the behest of the same developer.

My apologies for hijacking the thread.

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
8/1/08 3:27 p.m.

well hello from the galleria area

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
8/1/08 4:01 p.m.

Pete, I hope it works out for you there. I lived in The Landing while I was at UTMB. Between the L.C. cops and the Webster cops, you didn't need a microwave oven. Just put your potato on the dash and it'd get cooked driving to Wal*Mart from the cops' radar guns, even during the week of winter in Feburary.

I saw an article on that gun range. I hope it turned out OK for him.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
stABReqKyIGBCU9KmEYI4X2GN67jx19APNjEKhiSM2KsohjsUIeHqGJw0AfUN77H