New York Nick
New York Nick GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/7/21 7:36 p.m.

This is the first under the skin pics or video I have seen if the new generation NASCAR car. I really dig the bolted front and rear clips. Maybe that will filter down to the Late Model folks. 
Video

BlindPirate
BlindPirate Reader
12/7/21 8:46 p.m.

Huh, the front clip bolts on like my old 64 Chevy II 

STM317
STM317 UberDork
12/8/21 7:00 a.m.

There's some clever stuff there! Apparently at $28k/chassis, they're about half of what the previous chassis cost

Technique

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/8/21 7:12 a.m.

So the live axle is gone?  Interesting.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
12/8/21 7:32 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

Yes they actually made mention during the petit lemans broadcast how it's very much Daytona prototype the next gen car is with the irs, single nut 18" wheels, smooth underside, etc....

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/8/21 7:39 a.m.
Ranger50 said:

In reply to alfadriver :

Yes they actually made mention during the petit lemans broadcast how it's very much Daytona prototype the next gen car is with the irs, single nut 18" wheels, smooth underside, etc....

Really?  THAT is interesting.  Very, very interesting.  I had thought that Daytona and DTM made an agreement (with the Japan series also being part) to jointly design the chassis.  If all of that is true, that's fascinating.

When you mean Daytona Prototype, that's the DP cars?  So was that the DP cars influencing the Cup car, or a joint development?  

Some of the advancements, especially the cost, is a huge deal for racing.  I may not watch Cup racing, but it's still a big deal, and making it cheaper to run should expand it's presence quite a bit.  The bolt on front and rear ends means you have one center section that you can bolt front a rear to depending on the track and if you wreck, it's could be just the sub chassis that is replaced.  Which makes the Cup cars much like the open wheel cars where the whole powertrain shears off, and the tub is ok in a wreck.

Very big deal.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/8/21 7:58 a.m.
Ranger50 said:

In reply to alfadriver :

Didn't they also receive a sequential 5-speed to replace the old 4-speed?

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
12/8/21 8:18 a.m.

I don't follow NASCAR, and don't expect I ever will. But any time racing, especially the big leagues becomes more affordable, that's a big deal for all. 

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
12/8/21 9:08 a.m.
alfadriver said:

When you mean Daytona Prototype, that's the DP cars?  So was that the DP cars influencing the Cup car, or a joint development?  

These things, earlier cars are too ugly to post: 

They were Grand Am Road Racing's answer to Le Mans prototype cars, instead of a carbon tub they were tube frame and their use ended in 2016 with the start of the DPi class. Grand Am was started by Jim France (and later bought by NASCAR) so there's some influence in how the tech migrated.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/8/21 9:13 a.m.

In reply to j_tso :

What I meant was the future of DP, like is the new chassis being shared between Cup racing and DP, or is the new cup chassis developed from the old DP chassis?

Those old DP cars were abandoned a few years ago for many reasons- but a big one was to align US endurance racing with other parts of the world.  But it's still feasible that there's a prototype chassis that is cheap and simple- although I would call it a Trans Am kind of car like they did 30 years ago in IMSA.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
12/8/21 9:28 a.m.
z31maniac said:
Ranger50 said:

In reply to alfadriver :

Didn't they also receive a sequential 5-speed to replace the old 4-speed?

Actually they went to sequential transaxles

New York Nick
New York Nick GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/8/21 10:00 a.m.

Pretty cool manufacturing too, mostly robotic welding. They are gaining good economy of scale, 40 teams, 7 cars each and apparently no changes so you can make a few hundred of everything. Hard to automate too much if you are making a couple dozen cars and each one is slightly different. 

Welding video

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
X9vMWhSedQUFbphByNgxrtBlvCaTN3KjzScAiktSdFTd9cYOy4vcqjlLc2FiVfx2