1 2
No Time
No Time SuperDork
8/11/22 2:57 p.m.

This popped up when opening a new tab in chrome, so it's clickbait, but I wonder if it has some truth:

Owner prevented from selling modified Ram diesel

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/11/22 3:16 p.m.

This just happened

moral of the story. I wouldn't share or post anything or use messenger thst you wouldn't want on the front page of the local newspaper. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/11/22 3:41 p.m.

The EPA has been clear that they're watching social media for evidence of vendors selling illegal modifications - not getting info from FB, but looking at public posts. The EPA isn't involved in individual sales but are going after the source of the parts.

This concept isn't much different. The seller is putting the details out there that the vehicle is illegally modified per NJ law and providing proof upon request. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/11/22 3:54 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

This just happened

moral of the story. I wouldn't share or post anything or use messenger thst you wouldn't want on the front page of the local newspaper. 

Does that mean that we don't have a right to privacy?

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
8/11/22 3:57 p.m.
mtn said:
Fueled by Caffeine said:

This just happened

You screamed it from the mountain top. Private? No.

Keith Tanner
8/11/22 4:25 p.m.
Ranger50 said:
mtn said:
Fueled by Caffeine said:

This just happened

You screamed it from the mountain top. Private? No.

Two different things here. 

Putting information in a for-sale ad that your vehicle is illegal? That's what the NJ DEP is looking at. Doesn't really matter if the ad is in the local paper, on the windshield of the truck or Facebook, that's all the same. You published that information in public and willingly provided more proof when asked.

Having FB deliver the content of your direct messages, without informing you, in response to a request from law enforcement? That's something else.

jmabarone
jmabarone Reader
8/11/22 4:55 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Putting information in a for-sale ad that your vehicle is illegal? That's what the NJ DEP is looking at. Doesn't really matter if the ad is in the local paper, on the windshield of the truck or Facebook, that's all the same. You published that information in public and willingly provided more proof when asked.

Having FB deliver the content of your direct messages, without informing you, in response to a request from law enforcement? That's something else.

Probably in the terms and conditions that nobody reads.  Police issue a subpoena for information, you have to turn it over.  This would be no different from subpoenaing private letters or notes.  

Does NJ have any sort of emissions testing or inspection?  Why not crack down on modifications at that stage?  

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/11/22 5:05 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

The EPA has been clear that they're watching social media for evidence of vendors selling illegal modifications - not getting info from FB, but looking at public posts. The EPA isn't involved in individual sales but are going after the source of the parts.

This concept isn't much different. The seller is putting the details out there that the vehicle is illegally modified per NJ law and providing proof upon request. 

At the same time, this isn't the EPA- this kind of work is well outside their jurisdiction. But some have pointed out that some states may step in and enforce their rules when they know so many defeat devices are out there. 

Keith Tanner
8/11/22 5:13 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

I was trying to point out that other enforcement agencies have been quite public about their use of social media. EPA has flat out said they're watching social media. 

Like you said, the EPA won't go after individuals like this  as that's the states' purview. Looks like at least one state is doing just that.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/11/22 5:18 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

And they have been for a long time, as I was aware of a few proposed challenge cars coming from epa employees back when we did it 20 years ago (one even got started). Before the book of faces. 

Keith Tanner
8/11/22 5:22 p.m.
jmabarone said:
Keith Tanner said:

Probably in the terms and conditions that nobody reads.  Police issue a subpoena for information, you have to turn it over.  This would be no different from subpoenaing private letters or notes.  

Does NJ have any sort of emissions testing or inspection?  Why not crack down on modifications at that stage?  

It is still a different issue. One has an expectation of privacy even if you signed it away in the middle of a 100k word EULA, the other is information you posted in public yourself. 

As for testing/inspection, Google brought me to the NJ DOT inspection FAQ, which has this to say about inspections:

• All diesel-fueled motor vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 8,501 pounds to 17,999 that are plated commercial or passenger are required to be self-inspected by the owner or lessee

So in this case, the vehicle in question (2008 Ram 2500, which probably has a GVWR just under 10k lbs) , the owner is responsible for "self inspecting" the emissions. So flagging the VIN in the system because the owner is not inspecting it based on a public for-sale ad is one of a limited number of mechanisms available to the DEP.

here's another interesting FAQ, making it clear that the DEP is getting some public pressure. But check that GVWR, there's a loophole just the right size for a pickup truck.

I saw a big diesel truck spewing out all kind of black smoke.
What does the State do to stop these vehicles from emitting this smoke?

Diesel-powered vehicles with a GVWR of 18,000 pounds and greater are required to have an annual (every year) smoke opacity inspection at a diesel Private Inspection Facility only.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
8/11/22 5:34 p.m.

Years ago I went to a car show in Germany , the police were there , asking some owners for the cars papers to see if the mods they did were TUV approved and on the paperwork.

Lately I have seen some TikTok videos where the police in California were writing tickets that emissions equipment have been tampered with ,  yes it was mostly Japanese cars . 

I understand the Facebook crack down as it's easy and they can do it in an Air-conditioned office ,  I am just not sure if  it will solve much . 

Keith Tanner
8/11/22 5:38 p.m.

If word gets out that deleted trucks can't be resold in NJ, that may very well lead to fewer people being willing to delete their truck. No single act of enforcement is ever going to be 100% effective, but the ROI on this one may be fairly good.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/11/22 5:44 p.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

It doesn't have to solve much to make it worth it. One of the easiest and cheapest ways to enforce the law. And it works for remote workers, too. 

Racebrick
Racebrick Reader
8/11/22 5:58 p.m.

Breaking the law is fun and easy.  Just don't tell people about it, and you will probably be fine.

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
8/11/22 6:48 p.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

Don't use Facebook messenger to communicate about felony crimes committed in case the police go to a judge and get a subpoena to search those messages? Good advice there!

People act like FB is monitoring messages to hand over to police. The police going to FB over a crime they discovered with no assistance of FB is not news. 

The EULA has nothing to do with this. Pretty sure no eula is going to protect you from court ordered handovers. 

No Time
No Time SuperDork
8/11/22 7:34 p.m.

As for privacy, don't put anything into online messages, emails, or other written media that you wouldn't want to be brought up in court. If it's there it can be gotten with the right legal documents. 

Go old school and call your friend (or meet in person for a beer/coffee/etc) to tell them about the super new cat, dpf, egr, intake, cam Stage XIX kit you put on to defeat the emissions and gain HP/TQ/MPG.

Back on topic:

Since they are watching emissions delete references in for sale ads, I wonder if they will start looking at the "no title" listings to try to create a revenue stream from DMV fees and sales tax  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/11/22 8:27 p.m.
mtn said:

Toebra
Toebra Dork
8/11/22 8:28 p.m.

I find this hard to believe.  There are people on facebook still?

Keith Tanner
8/11/22 8:44 p.m.

In reply to Toebra :

Dunno if you've bought/sold a car in the past few years, but it's a pretty active marketplace.

Facebook isn't a factor in the diesel truck sale here. The result could have been the same if the seller had stapled a piece of paper to a phone pile. 

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/12/22 10:10 a.m.

Privacy from what? Being protected from penalty when publicly posted about violation of law? 

If a vehicle is tagged and utilized on public roads and doesn't meet the requirements as defined and published by law with regards to safety or emissions, I have no problem with enforcement. It's no different then monitoring against anything else that's against the law, such as human trafficking or terrorist plots. Now if they're going after vehicles that are utilized on closed courses, aren't tagged and don't see use on public roads, then that's an overstep and a problem. 

Keith Tanner
8/12/22 10:49 a.m.

In reply to Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

What we need is an actual legal definition of said vehicles, then we can move forward with creating exceptions for them.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
8/12/22 6:30 p.m.

Removing cats on street cars is dumb.  There's basically no performance gain, so why bother?  As Keith said, if you advertise that your vehicle has emissions deletes, you can't have an expectation of privacy

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/12/22 7:31 p.m.

To be clear, I brought up the privacy aspect in reply to the link provided by FBC in which a conversation on Messenger between a mother and daughter regarding a personal healthcare procedure; the conversation was viewed by authorities after a warrant was procured. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/13/22 2:01 p.m.

In other news.  If you want to do violence to others please post about it public ally. TikTok seems like the right place. 

https://www.dailydot.com/debug/trump-supporters-tiktok-civil-war/

anyways. My point still stands. There is no reasonable expectation of privacy on the internet. Anywhere.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
78kvUAfXW2o6OUHce9ebP904YjIL2m3J6lqXettEbvtWNAVPR9o7NfOEFE43NHTe