1 2
SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltraDork
1/7/13 9:49 a.m.

I'm helping a friend move down to Smyrna, GA in a few weeks. Seeing that I won't have enough time to really sight see, I might as well find some good places to eat, because there is always time for that. My friend doesn't know the area too well, he's only been down there for a couple months.

Any Suggestions?

EDIT: He just told me that he's ok with fast food. I just told him that I'm coming down there for 2 days, I'm not eating fast food that whole time.

slefain
slefain SuperDork
1/7/13 9:52 a.m.

http://oldsouthbbq.com/

http://mariettadiner.com/

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
1/7/13 10:00 a.m.

I'll throw in another +1 for Marietta Diner. That place is boss.

Take a trip to the Vortex down in Little Five Points. Best burgers by a country mile. I've never had better.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
1/7/13 10:29 a.m.

I'll throw in a big -1 for Marietta Diner. The food is junk, the menu is 150 pages long, the management is creepy, and most of the waitresses are fresh off the boat mail-order brides (see also: Creepy.)

What kind of food do you like? Budget?

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
1/7/13 10:50 a.m.

In reply to poopshovel:

Its easier to ask what I don't like, which isn't much.

I looked up the Vortex Bar that Maroon92 suggested and I think that's a place I will have to visit. My buddy told me he wants to take me down to Little Five Points anyways.

I also want to try the Silver Skillet which was on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.

whenry
whenry HalfDork
1/7/13 10:50 a.m.

Houston's at West Paces or Delk Road. sort of a fern bar but some of the best ribs you will ever eat.

slefain
slefain SuperDork
1/7/13 11:02 a.m.

Sunday brunch at the 57th Fighter Group: http://www.the57threstaurant.com/

Sure you can pay twice as much to eat at Ray's, but why?

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
1/7/13 11:11 a.m.

In reply to slefain:

That place looks cool. The website makes it look like a fancy restaurant. Is it?

slefain
slefain SuperDork
1/7/13 11:17 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: In reply to slefain: That place looks cool. The website makes it look like a fancy restaurant. Is it?

Eh, it can be fancy if you want it to be. I've been there in a suit for my anniversary and in jeans for breakfast.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance SuperDork
1/7/13 11:18 a.m.

Marietta Diner has decent food but agreed on the weird staff. I think they are Greek.

I ate at Houston's on West Paces, not bad, just forgettable.

I still haven't eaten at the Vortex. I don't know whats wrong with me.

Best BBQ I have had in the city was Daddy D'z. Not exactly North Atlanta, but neither is Little Five Points.

Everyone praises The Varsity but its not the greatest food. If you want some burgers or hotdogs that are a step above fast food and don't mind being yelled at while ordering, it's your spot.

madmallard
madmallard HalfDork
1/7/13 11:23 a.m.

Isnt' vortex considered a bar technically so they have smoking inside?

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
1/7/13 11:54 a.m.

Well, if we're talking downtown, there are about a billion great places to eat. Vortex is a good "I'm too drunk to drive and I think I know how to stumble there" spot, but nothing to write home about, IMHO. Highland Tap Room has a better burger/atmosphere/drinks/service. The original Taco Mac is across the street.

The Magnolia Thomas is in Woodstock (North of your buddy,) and is top notch. Modern interpretations of southern cuisine.

There are a bunch of great sushi places on 285 if that's your thing. Best BBQ I've ever had is at Bubba Q. There is a location in Woodstock which I'm told is hit or miss. The original is up my way, and is phenomenal 90% of the time. Killer brisket.

I guess Houston's must have been great at some point, because it's a go-to for the 40-50+ crowd. I've waited in ridiculously long lines there twice and was unimpressed.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
1/7/13 11:55 a.m.

Dunno about specific places, but you can pretty much send a Wrist Rocket shot from one Waffle House to the next.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
1/7/13 12:07 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: Well, if we're talking downtown, there are about a billion great places to eat. Vortex is a good "I'm too drunk to drive and I think I know how to stumble there" spot, but nothing to write home about, IMHO. Highland Tap Room has a better burger/atmosphere/drinks/service. The original Taco Mac is across the street. The Magnolia Thomas is in Woodstock (North of your buddy,) and is top notch. Modern interpretations of southern cuisine. There are a bunch of great sushi places on 285 if that's your thing. Best BBQ I've ever had is at Bubba Q. There is a location in Woodstock which I'm told is hit or miss. The original is up my way, and is phenomenal 90% of the time. Killer brisket. I guess Houston's must have been great at some point, because it's a go-to for the 40-50+ crowd. I've waited in ridiculously long lines there twice and was unimpressed.

Bubba Q is awesome. Bacon wrapped jalapenos to die for...

golfduke
golfduke New Reader
1/7/13 12:45 p.m.

vortex is really good greasy burger fare... Anywhere that serves fried eggs on a cheeseburger needs to be visited.

If the weather is nice and you are looking to have a nice meal with a great view, Park Tavern on Piedmont is a nice spot. They make their own beer and the sushi is pretty good. Dog friendly is nice too!

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
1/7/13 1:16 p.m.

Beer: Taco Mac (multiple locations.) Sushi: Sushi Huku, Taka.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance SuperDork
1/7/13 1:20 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: Beer: Taco Mac (multiple locations.)

This! Best beer spot is at any Taco Mac.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
1/7/13 2:21 p.m.

Marietta Diner's only good if you just closed down the bar and want to eat lobster and eggs while the sun rises.

taco Mac's beer selection is usually really good, but the food is average.

I've eaten at Ted's a couple times and had good experiences - They are Ted Turner's West-in-1920-esque Bison steakhouse chain. The bison steak's aren't really worth the $$ IMHO, but the meatloaf and the burgers are good and more reasonably priced.

Pick up a copy of the free entertainment paper Creative Loafing, or check the website. When I was in Atown a decade ago it was always a good source of local info, but tends to the weird side. Which suited me fine.

If you like trendy brewpub style places that have outstanding food and amazing beer in a laid back atmosphere where you will pay stupid money, look up TAP on peachtree street just south of the high museum of art downtown. The place is so tasty, it's almost worth what they charge to eat there.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
1/7/13 4:40 p.m.
I also want to try the Silver Skillet which was on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives

If the question is "What would the guy with the crazy bleached hair and goofy sunglasses eat," then you might want to ignore my suggestions. Dude's a Marietta Diner fan, so there ya go.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/7/13 7:27 p.m.

Stop in a couple of iconic landmark places. It's not that far to downtown.

The Varsity I ate here today. Never been. Definite must see.

Johnny Rockets

Atlantic Station restaurants

The Big Chicken It's just KFC, but it's close, and it's cool.

There are a TON more, if you include downtown. Chime in ATL guys!

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/7/13 7:59 p.m.

The Oasis Goodtime Emporium has the best "lunch time show".

the food is actually pretty good

Peachtree Industrial (141) and Tilly Mill Rd. Just north of 285

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
1/7/13 8:11 p.m.

Dante's was recommended to me when I visited the buckhead area...very cool place

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/7/13 8:20 p.m.

When visiting Atlanta, we usually wind up here: http://www.communityqbbq.com/ (And I totally realize that Decatur isn't near north metro.)

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
1/8/13 2:47 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
I also want to try the Silver Skillet which was on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives
If the question is "What would the guy with the crazy bleached hair and goofy sunglasses eat," then you might want to ignore my suggestions. Dude's a Marietta Diner fan, so there ya go.

Oh I'm taking everyone's suggestion into account. Guy Fieri I think is friends with the Marietta people.

I just saw what looked like good breakfast food on the TV one night.

Quasimo1
Quasimo1 New Reader
1/8/13 3:46 p.m.
madmallard wrote: Isnt' vortex considered a bar technically so they have smoking inside?

Somewhat. In order to allow smoking inside the restaurant they had to declare themselves an adult only 18+ establishment. It is actually somewhat nice as you don't have to worry about screaming children while you are enjoying a burger.

Minimum age limit aside I would consider them a restaurant that allows smoking inside.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Q0we3gGRQxjx5QyJhnJ85IcW9oXpkIw8VANejeIEUCBDUvKC4JVCLNFQBHzP6j9V