1 2 3 4 ... 6
BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/10/22 2:54 p.m.

So sorry to hear that. And echoing Hungary Bill's sentiment - we're here.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
7/10/22 3:14 p.m.

She's still breathing

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
7/10/22 3:14 p.m.

This right here.......prayers for you and Mom

"She let me sit in the drivers seat and pretend to be driving one of the 917s."

7/10/22 3:25 p.m.

Mom got Covid from the nursing home.

Berk me.

7/10/22 3:42 p.m.

The doctor came in with her moon suit on to tell me. Told me to get the hell out of there. Go home. I may have been exposed. Mrs Snowdoggie may have been exposed. She was yelling. Wanted to give Mom morphine because she was suffering. Why was I letting her suffer. Yelled at me. Her bedside manor was lacking to say the least.  I was right there holding Mom's hand. Did I mention I was over 60 and have multiple risk factors. I was trying to avoid this.

We are driving home now. Don't know if Mom is alive or dead  now.

Berk me. Berk me. Berk me.

Berk me and Presbyterian Healthcare System.

7/10/22 3:49 p.m.

The ER doctor was perfectly nice to me. This was the internist who yelled. She was going to care for her. when they moved from the ER. Don't know if they found her a room yet. Don't know anything yet. Don't know if they gave her morphine yet. 

Berk me. I'm in the hospital's voicemail hell now. 

7/10/22 3:57 p.m.

The should have tested her before they let us in. There was Covid in the nursing home and they knew it. They had called the other day to tell me one of their employees working with her tested positive. Why didn't they test her yesterday instead of waiting till she needed the ER. 

Berk me. Berk them. Half the nursing home has been exposed now.

I may not even be able to sit with Mom when she dies now. They sent me home.

7/10/22 3:58 p.m.

I'm just going to sit here and cry.

CJ
CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/10/22 3:59 p.m.

Sorry you got an asshat doc.  There are definitely some in the medical profession who should stay away from the living - a career change to being a forensic pathologist comes to mind.

I hope both you and your mom can go through this with dignity and the least pain as possible.

Take care

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/10/22 4:10 p.m.

Focus on the fact that you were able to sit at her bedside and to see her and spend time with her prior to her passing. I know within the past two years it has been a major concern and worry that you wouldn't have had that opportunity, and now, due to poor protocol and procedures, you were able to. 

This is a situation where there's no way to have control of the situation, regardless of where she is. Embrace that you were able to see her, start isolating, hydrating and testing of yourself and your wife and working to ensure the best possible course of pain management for your mother. Regardless of her location of care, it's all that you'd be able to do at this juncture. 

I'm sorry that you're having to endure this. 

7/10/22 4:19 p.m.

Oh, and I work contract so if I get sick with Covid I don't get paid and neither does the electric bill. There is no such thing as sick leave where I work. And if I have to plan a funeral and have Covid...

Just berk me. I'm berked.

7/10/22 4:30 p.m.

This is what my life feels like right now...

7/10/22 4:44 p.m.

This is the number of Monique, she's out of Allen, TX, I recommend reaching out to her with regards to making agreements. 214-571-7367. It's not the business that she's in, but she'll be able to assist you in ensuring that the planning that needs to be done, has been done allowing you to have fewer things to worry about and focus on. She'll help you simplify things during this difficult time. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/10/22 4:50 p.m.

Sending wishes of peace for your mom and for you, Snowdoggie. I haven't faced what you are facing and I'm sorry you are going through this. Hang in there.

7/10/22 4:52 p.m.

In reply to Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

I do have a prepaid funeral plan set up and her site is paid for. She will be buried right next to my Father's grave in Arkansas

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/10/22 5:08 p.m.

We're here, and we care. Many of us have been through the same situations, which makes us even more determined to be able to support you. 

Please keep posting. 

7/10/22 5:48 p.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) :

Monique won't provide assistance regarding to what you already have planned. She will be able to help you with regards to planning on having family and friends from out of town coming into visit and planning for meals while they're in town, etc. All of the giant mess beyond burial and service arrangements. She's not in the funeral business, she's in the making your life easier business. 

7/10/22 5:49 p.m.

Just talked to the hospital. She is still alive.  They moved her from th ER to an isolated room and they are treating her for Covid. 

All of a sudden it went from talking about hospice care to "we are treating her and the doctor will call you tomorrow. It went from "We don't know what her respiratory problem is to - "Oh. She has Covid. We know what it is now." I am so confused. 

7/10/22 5:49 p.m.
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) :

Monique won't provide assistance regarding to what you already have planned. She will be able to help you with regards to planning on having family and friends from out of town coming into visit and planning for meals while they're in town, etc. All of the giant mess beyond burial and service arrangements. She's not in the funeral business, she's in the making your life easier business. 

OK

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/10/22 6:36 p.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:

Just talked to the hospital. She is still alive.  They moved her from th ER to an isolated room and they are treating her for Covid. 

All of a sudden it went from talking about hospice care to "we are treating her and the doctor will call you tomorrow. It went from "We don't know what her respiratory problem is to - "Oh. She has Covid. We know what it is now." I am so confused. 

When my dad was in ICU for 40 plus days on a respirator they told me that he was unlikely to live at first, because of his stents and surgery he was losing blood at a rate of 2 units an hour, he was on 3 blood pressure pressors to hold his blood pressure up enough to live and he was on the maximum of all. He was on the maximum amount of oxygen as well.

After awhile they told me that he would live but never get out of bed. Then if he could get out of bed he'd be in a wheelchair. Then if he could get out of a wheelchair he would have to live in an assisted living center because he wouldn't be able to do the things needed to live alone. Then he could live alone but he'd need a live in nurse. Then he might be able to live alone but probably not.

He was just outside chopping firewood a bit ago, he's on oxygen and figuring out what his life means now but he has gone beyond what everybody said by a factor of 50. There's a reason why it's called "practicing" medicine, doctors aren't usually miracle workers.

I remember the stress being so bad that I stopped eating and lost 25lbs, never slept more than 3 hours. This will kill you and even though I understand not caring about that right now there are others that depend on you.

As for the choices you have to make, distract yourself for awhile to get some distance from the problem and the decision will be clearer. You'll make the right choice 

I hate to hear you having to go thru all this but it will all be ok, even if it's not

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
7/10/22 6:49 p.m.

Fire is out for now, that's good news  

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/10/22 9:26 p.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:

Not sure what else I can do,

That's exactly what you need to be doing.

Be with her when it counts.  I can tell you from personal experience that it's worse if you're not.

Ninety one years is a long full time. If you can ask her, I am certain she will say the same thing.

We're here for anything we can do.  Stay strong.

7/11/22 3:07 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

Thank you.

7/11/22 3:12 a.m.

Mom died this morning at about 2 am Central Time. I didn't even get to see here in those last hours. My last memory is the Doctor yelling at me to get out of her room. Then a call in the middle of the night. Cold blooded. Nobody should lose a loved one this way. 

7/11/22 3:13 a.m.

I am just in shock right now.

1 2 3 4 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MxfZxc4LGg94wHFLHm71ShRSrfrTypDtv0VWJSed65bdmVloAGv7wh1ADg89gsVs