1 2
Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
9/13/14 9:26 p.m.

I like this show Daryl Hall has where he is restoring/adding on to a 1700's colonial farm home in Connecticut. Really interesting how much is involved. He also has one of his rocker guitar tech doing some grunt work.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
9/13/14 9:47 p.m.

is it better than the one where Vanilla Ice buys houses cheap, fixes them, then flips them? Darryl Hall also has a show where he jams with all kinds of musical legends...

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/13/14 9:47 p.m.

That guy berkeleying hates deer.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
9/13/14 9:52 p.m.

They showed his place on an episode of This Old House a year or two ago, it's pretty impressive.

I watch his show "Live From Daryl's House" every now and then, he has some good musical guests

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
9/13/14 9:55 p.m.

He is a really sharp guy. Restoring the farm house and doing it right

Lancer007
Lancer007 HalfDork
9/13/14 10:14 p.m.

It wasn't until I watched the rock n roll hall of fame thing earlier this year that I realized:

A) Live From Darryl's House was his show. I had no idea what Hall and Oats looked like and I had only seen a minute or two of his show in passing.

B) How many songs of theirs I recognized but had no idea were done by Hall and Oats. The name just always struck me as a folk band for some reason so I never cared to listen to them.

The older I get the more I feel like I appreciate genres of music I had dismissed previously. Those guys can jam and Hall's show is awesome.

Lancer007
Lancer007 HalfDork
9/13/14 10:30 p.m.

In reply to Datsun1500:

Ah, I should have known. He jams way better than a Quaker would.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/13/14 10:48 p.m.

He also has a thing for German cars. I almost bought a 2002 from his brother-in-law back around 2001 or so. Although I never verified the claim, the guy didn't seem like the kind of outright braggart who'd make something like that up.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/14/14 12:21 a.m.
Woody wrote: That guy berkeleying hates deer.

I never thought you'd confuse Darryl Hall with Ted Nugent.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
9/14/14 12:54 a.m.
Appleseed wrote:

Nugent loves deer... he probably has 100 different ways to cook them..

Woody
9/14/14 5:08 a.m.
novaderrik wrote:
Appleseed wrote:
Nugent loves deer... he probably has 100 different ways to cook them..

Lyme Disease.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/14/14 7:21 a.m.

I have worked "live from Darry's house" when he brings it to Atlantic City. We -hate- that set. It is not so much a set as a wall from a real house.

other than that, they were both at the Borgata recently and put on a great show

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/14/14 8:08 a.m.

In reply to Lancer007:

I think most people like Hall and Oates, they just don't know it. I had a customer give me tickets years ago to see them and drug a friend with me. He spent the whole night saying "I never knew they sang that".

mapper
mapper Reader
9/14/14 10:30 a.m.

Two talented musicians hamstrung by the fact that a lot of their music was popular and somewhat sappy so they get lumped in with a lot of music that was popular and sucked. Hall and Oates is still a regular feature in my playlist.

Lancer007
Lancer007 HalfDork
9/14/14 11:32 a.m.

In reply to Wally:

That is exactly the reaction I had.

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
9/14/14 12:07 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: Not oats: Oates

You mean the highest paid backup singer in history?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
9/14/14 12:41 p.m.

Oates is a gearhead sort of guy - he used to road race quite a bit in the 1980s and actually had a factory ride in a GTU Fiero.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
9/14/14 4:02 p.m.

What I like about the show is he never has to whine about not having the money to get what he wants.

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi Reader
9/14/14 8:14 p.m.

Loved that show too. I hope they do another season, because I'm sure he can't be out of projects yet. It was like This Old House, where they actually told you what they were doing and why - with a good dose of history thrown in. No manufactured drama, theatrical destruction or cursing. Besides, anyone who has a trailer full of "spare parts" just incase is OK in my book!

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/14/14 8:58 p.m.

In reply to mikeatrpi:

You've pretty much summed up why we watched every episode of it.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
9/15/14 8:04 a.m.

I came here just to post this:

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
9/15/14 9:15 a.m.

Hall and Oates? How about Garfunkel and Oates?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRm1yqSmsGY

Hilarious vid, BTW.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
9/15/14 11:54 a.m.

I bet a lot of people don't know that the first Daryl Hall solo album was part of a trilogy along with Peter Gabriel 2 and Robert Fripp's Exposure, with them sharing some of each other's songs. Hall was supposed to supply all the vocals on Exposure, but his record company didn't think that being involved with that type of "avant-garde" music would be good for his pop career.

One of the lighter songs on the Exposure album, with Hall on vocals

North star

Somehow I can't imagine Daryl Hall singing Disengage Peter Hamill was a better choice

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
9/15/14 12:46 p.m.

I, for one, did not know that.

Woody
9/15/14 6:54 p.m.
Wally wrote: In reply to Lancer007: I think most people like Hall and Oates, they just don't know it. I had a customer give me tickets years ago to see them and drug a friend with me. He spent the whole night saying "I never knew they sang that".

I can't go for that.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
24reSoHUpvl8AKx0fxtk2X5Il1m4NAvqSJhKc20zM1Gt1AQmDB1QeBbEhcSCNSug