1 2
Jay
Jay HalfDork
7/5/08 4:36 p.m.

Holy crap that's a lot of finicky detail.
If I tried that my fingers would mutiny and poke out my eyes.

J

therex
therex Dork
7/5/08 4:43 p.m.

I don't even know what to say.

Except maybe "Man, I hope I never get that hard up for a hobby."

GlennS
GlennS HalfDork
7/5/08 5:01 p.m.

i hope this man makes a lot of money somewhere doing something like that. He has got skills

phillyj
phillyj New Reader
7/5/08 5:47 p.m.

man!!! I bookmarked that page. I like where this is going

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
7/5/08 5:52 p.m.

He's nuts. Completely.

But I like that.

ThunderCougarFalconGoat
ThunderCougarFalconGoat New Reader
7/5/08 7:54 p.m.

I'm just waiting for him to build a fuel pump and fire that thing up. That is awesome.

JFX001
JFX001 HalfDork
7/5/08 8:37 p.m.

No way in hell could I even attempt that. Nice work.

Duke
Duke Dork
7/5/08 8:58 p.m.

Not bad, but I prefer this guy: Running, scratch built, 1/3-scale Ferrari 312B

He liked the sound of the Ferrari 12-cylinders. So he built one. And the car to go with it, including transmission, etc. Scroll to the bottom and watch the video.

Woodyhfd
Woodyhfd GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/5/08 9:44 p.m.

The 50 year old virgin.

stumpmj
stumpmj HalfDork
7/5/08 10:29 p.m.
Duke wrote: Not bad, but I prefer this guy: Running, scratch built, 1/3-scale Ferrari 312B He liked the sound of the Ferrari 12-cylinders. So he built one. And the car to go with it, including transmission, etc. Scroll to the bottom and watch the video.

I've seen it. It's increadible. I can't even tell you the level of cool it is.

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
7/5/08 11:05 p.m.

and i thought shaving the emblems and decroming the wheels of a mustang cobra model was nuts

phillyj
phillyj New Reader
7/6/08 1:51 p.m.

3 questions: 1] How did you come across this? You do R/C modeling also?

2] That engine is just a model, right?

3] How in the world did that guy build that v12. It makes 8 hp!! My lawn mower only makes 6.75 hp??!!

Osterkraut
Osterkraut New Reader
7/6/08 2:03 p.m.

I'm not OCD, I'm CDO. It's the same as OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order. Like they should be. twitch

GregTivo
GregTivo New Reader
7/6/08 2:16 p.m.
phillyj wrote: 3] How in the world did that guy build that v12. It makes 8 hp!! My lawn mower only makes 6.75 hp??!!

1ft-lbs of toque @42,000 rpm?

There is so little stroke in those engines that the engine can spin alot faster before exceeding max piston velocity...i'm guessing.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Reader
7/6/08 2:21 p.m.

Such an incredible stickler for detail, yet he cannot spell "concours" correctly.

+1 on the mad skills, though.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
7/6/08 2:50 p.m.
therex wrote: I don't even know what to say.

+1

Lunacy.

stumpmj
stumpmj HalfDork
7/6/08 10:31 p.m.
phillyj wrote: 3 questions: 1] How did you come across this? You do R/C modeling also? 2] That engine is just a model, right? 3] How in the world did that guy build that v12. It makes 8 hp!! My lawn mower only makes 6.75 hp??!!

A friend of mine thought a company that builds super detailed models of WW2 airplanes was pretty cool so he added himself to their mailing list. He got an invite to their event that was at a hanger near us (Oakland County International Airport) and that Ferrari was their. Too cool.

The engine runs. The trans shifts. It's filled with working gears. The limited slip is there. If you were 1/3 scale, you could literally drive the thing.

He managed to get original prints for every component of the car and made each part perfectly to scale all the way down to minature wires, fuel/coolant/bake lines, tiny hycraulic cylinders, tiny tube frame.... I have no idea why he didn't make a 1:1 replica and take it to the track.

seann
seann New Reader
7/7/08 9:04 a.m.

Would it be any less impressive if he built it 3 times larger?

joey48442
joey48442 Dork
7/7/08 10:03 a.m.

Oakland County International Airport in Waterford? Thats near me, too. Where are you located?

Joey

phillyj
phillyj New Reader
7/7/08 4:04 p.m.

the styrene model is non running, right?

Duke
Duke Dork
7/7/08 4:12 p.m.

Correct.

stumpmj
stumpmj HalfDork
7/7/08 5:46 p.m.
joey48442 wrote: Oakland County International Airport in Waterford? Thats near me, too. Where are you located? Joey

Down River. Grosse Ile to be exact.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/7/08 6:12 p.m.
joey48442 wrote: Oakland County International Airport in Waterford? Thats near me, too. Where are you located? Joey

Mike, Joel forgets he pooped in your car and then had lunch with you. Big helmet, itty bitty memory.

Jay
Jay HalfDork
7/7/08 6:42 p.m.
phillyj wrote: 3 questions: 1] How did you come across this? You do R/C modeling also?

Good god no. I have all the coordination of a chimpanzee with a sugar high. I can break things by looking at them. I stay far away from finicky detail work.

This is reposted from a Toyota forum I visit.

J

joey48442
joey48442 Dork
7/7/08 8:35 p.m.
John Brown wrote:
Mike, Joel forgets he pooped in your car and then had lunch with you. Big helmet, itty bitty memory.

Crap I didnt realize that was him. I think I did poop in his car, a little.

Joey

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
66Kzw50f8E2UlGrkPevW4wqvTHFC3PYPQDw3pez4DEBeMu8vwAQwOhatfU50csEt