1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13
procainestart
procainestart Dork
12/21/10 9:32 p.m.
JoeyM wrote:
alex wrote: "All Along The Watchtower" - Jimi > Dylan
I know this will sound blasphemous, but I support the following classification: "All Along The Watchtower" - Hedges > Jimi > Dylan

In the same vein:

"Tomorrow Never Knows": Hedges > Beatles

Saw him twice; once in the late '80s, and again in '95. Amazing, amazing musician and performer.

PS +8 on Devo's Satisfaction > Stones'

procainestart
procainestart Dork
12/21/10 9:43 p.m.

Oh, and by the way:

Too Drunk to berkeley: Nouvelle Vague > Dead Kennedys

In fact, most of Nouvelle Vague > their covers' original artists

Shaun
Shaun Reader
12/21/10 11:00 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: And one, Anthrax doing Joe Jackson: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be7iNHw8QoQ

that was really berkeleying cool!!

Shaun
Shaun Reader
12/21/10 11:03 p.m.
Zomby woof wrote: I'm surprised nobody has suggested any Dread Zeppelin

I am not.

Shaun
Shaun Reader
12/21/10 11:34 p.m.

Neil Young's "Rocking in the Free World"

Neil and the studio dudes original > Qeensrychce< Pearl Jam>govt mule< U2 & pearl jam>maroon 5>joe perry> Leningrad cowboys>joe satriani<bowstring sliders < Neil and crazy horse > Neil and Booker T and the MG's.

But no one ever coverd it better or played it better than Neil and Pearl Jam did:

goes nutuso after 3 minutes & 20 lb mic stands make a nice thud: 1993 mtv NY and PJ

as the highest rated you tube comment says so eloquently: " duckling seeeet.................... thats rock and roll .........."

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Reader
12/21/10 11:37 p.m.

A cover of the Beach Boys "409". Suitable for this board.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16qsYreBJZE

Shaun
Shaun Reader
12/22/10 12:05 a.m.
gamby wrote:
poopshovel wrote: Even if you hate jazz, you owe it to yourself to check out The Bad Plus. Dig the end where the key goes from minor to major. berkeleying hilarious: The Bad Plus - Iron Man
A friend of mine introduced me to their cover of "Tom Sawyer" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gGR-lbiFQk They are indeed rad.

Awsome!! Another TBP fan just minted. Tom Swayer is a great tune, very well covered.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
12/22/10 10:10 a.m.
Shaun wrote:
gamby wrote:
poopshovel wrote: Even if you hate jazz, you owe it to yourself to check out The Bad Plus. Dig the end where the key goes from minor to major. berkeleying hilarious: The Bad Plus - Iron Man
A friend of mine introduced me to their cover of "Tom Sawyer" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gGR-lbiFQk They are indeed rad.
Awsome!! Another TBP fan just minted. Tom Swayer is a great tune, very well covered.

I think they may have jumped the shark on that one. While I dig a lot of their covers, I dig their original stuff even more. Kind of hate to see them becoming a 'cover band.'

procainestart
procainestart Dork
12/22/10 3:41 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: I think they may have jumped the shark on that one. While I dig a lot of their covers, I dig their original stuff even more. Kind of hate to see them becoming a 'cover band.'

O wonder if that's kinda how jazz works these days if you want to sell records: build the jazz on a familiar pop foundation, sell the music. It's nothing new, though: Coltrane's cover of "A Few of My Favorite Things"

Brad Mehldau seems to do it a lot, too: Brad Mehldau's cover of "Paranoid Android"

HalfTrac, Lord of the FWD deathbox
HalfTrac, Lord of the FWD deathbox SuperDork
12/22/10 11:04 p.m.

"Remake" of Lady Gaga's "Telephone." Far superior.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvOucvTpKrE

alex
alex SuperDork
12/23/10 9:44 a.m.
procainestart wrote:
poopshovel wrote: I think they may have jumped the shark on that one. While I dig a lot of their covers, I dig their original stuff even more. Kind of hate to see them becoming a 'cover band.'
O wonder if that's kinda how jazz works these days if you want to sell records: build the jazz on a familiar pop foundation, sell the music. It's nothing new, though: Coltrane's cover of "A Few of My Favorite Things"

Hell, Miles covered showtunes. ("Surrey With A Fringe On Top"? Srsly?) A melody's a melody. Gotta start somewhere.

Anyway, as a listener - as a performer, too - it's nice to have a familiar melody or change to fall back on. Like being out in the ocean, nearly lost in a storm, but still able to catch a glimpse of shore every so often.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
12/23/10 2:15 p.m.
alex wrote:
procainestart wrote:
Hell, Miles covered showtunes. ("Surrey With A Fringe On Top"? Srsly?) A melody's a melody. Gotta start somewhere. Anyway, as a listener - as a performer, too - it's nice to have a familiar melody or change to fall back on. Like being out in the ocean, nearly lost in a storm, but still able to catch a glimpse of shore every so often.

Indeed, and TBP are berkeleying masters of that E36 M3.

And shame on me; looks as though their new record is all originals. Methinks I needs that.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy HalfDork
12/23/10 9:43 p.m.

Anybody on earth thats recorded "Sunday Morning Coming Down">Kris Kristofferson.

Anybody recording anything>Bob Dylan.

There. That should get the hate mail flowing. Its funny cause its true.

Note I said nothing about the quality of song WRITING.

RXBeetle
RXBeetle Reader
12/24/10 12:07 a.m.

The Black Keys covering Junior Kimbrough on Chulahoma. Credit to Junior but The Black Keys just have an awesome sound. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNSzTN7rI5w

I'll throw in Clutch "Electric Worry" > Mississippi Fred McDowell "Worried Mind "

I guess I just like good rock/blues bands covering good blues....

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/25/10 2:00 p.m.

Bif Naked - Nothing Else Matters http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpq3s3Z_HUw

Pretty good.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
12/26/10 12:23 a.m.
RXBeetle wrote: The Black Keys covering Junior Kimbrough on Chulahoma. Credit to Junior but The Black Keys just have an awesome sound. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNSzTN7rI5w I'll throw in Clutch "Electric Worry" > Mississippi Fred McDowell "Worried Mind " I guess I just like good rock/blues bands covering good blues....

Their version of the Beatles "She Said, She Said" is awesome, but not better than the original. Worth mentioning, though.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
12/26/10 12:29 a.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: Anybody recording anything>Bob Dylan.

+871934763957395634758342838565468437

gamby
gamby SuperDork
12/26/10 12:31 a.m.
procainestart wrote:
JoeyM wrote:
alex wrote: "All Along The Watchtower" - Jimi > Dylan
I know this will sound blasphemous, but I support the following classification: "All Along The Watchtower" - Hedges > Jimi > Dylan
Wow--I couldn't disagree more. In the same vein: "Tomorrow Never Knows": Hedges > Beatles Saw him twice; once in the late '80s, and again in '95. Amazing, amazing musician and performer. PS +8 on Devo's Satisfaction > Stones'

Tomorrow Never Knows is one of my favorite Beatles songs, so I'm VERY biased. I've never heard the Hedges version and I can't say it does a thing for me. All of the energy, bombast, texture, mood and beauty managed to get sucked out of that cover. The original defined psychedelic rock (from a studio standpoint, not a jam band standpoint) and was lightyears ahead of its time (no one was doing layers of guitar noise and effects at that point). The Hedges version just sounds like a precursor to Jack Johnson (and yes, I know Hedges is a guitar geek god--I read about him in all the guitar mags in the 80's/90's).

The Chemical Brothers use a very similar backing track (as the Beatles version) in "Setting Sun" FWIW

Zomby woof
Zomby woof Dork
2/27/11 8:07 p.m.

Had to bring this back from the dead for this pep band playing rage

I wonder what the cheerleaders look like?

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
2/27/11 9:36 p.m.
Zomby woof wrote: Had to bring this back from the dead for this pep band playing rage I wonder what the cheerleaders look like?

Holy crap. I want to high-five their director.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
2/28/11 5:48 a.m.

That was pretty cool

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Dork
2/28/11 8:10 a.m.

PISTOLS

British Anthem, God Save the Queen

hotrodlarry
hotrodlarry Reader
2/28/11 8:35 a.m.
RXBeetle wrote: The Black Keys covering Junior Kimbrough on Chulahoma. Credit to Junior but The Black Keys just have an awesome sound. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNSzTN7rI5w I'll throw in Clutch "Electric Worry" > Mississippi Fred McDowell "Worried Mind " I guess I just like good rock/blues bands covering good blues....

holy crap.. I didn't know Electric Worry was a cover song, cool.

Not sure if we mentioned this one or not.

Fu Manchu - "Godzilla"

calteg
calteg New Reader
2/28/11 8:57 a.m.

don't know if it's been mentioned yet: nonpoint's -in the air tonight (tied with Phil Collins)

bucking the trend, skylar grey's original version of "love the way you lie" absolutely stomps Rhianna's

FlightService
FlightService Reader
2/28/11 6:45 p.m.
calteg wrote: don't know if it's been mentioned yet: nonpoint's -in the air tonight (tied with Phil Collins) bucking the trend, skylar grey's original version of "love the way you lie" absolutely stomps Rhianna's

I can watch Rhianna on mute all day

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UfgW2qSOs5lRxPvbMsDUvAk4f2RTFm7i2vILBi4JXFi36d0bB00lqHPMqjxr1DkL