1 2
John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/28/08 1:59 p.m.

I am starting this thread to officially request a Sprockets only forum.

If you vote this topic up the "powers" may succumb to our will. While I bet that we don't get a magazine, I am certain that if we play nice we might just get to talk about our 2 and 3 wheeled funbots.

grtechguy
grtechguy Dork
5/28/08 2:27 p.m.

Sounds good...

Always interested in the 2-wheeled variety. I know a number of us ride daily to work.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
5/28/08 2:30 p.m.

Sub-forums FTL.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
5/28/08 3:11 p.m.

FTL: Faster Than Light?

mtn
mtn Dork
5/28/08 3:18 p.m.

For the loss?

phillyj
phillyj New Reader
5/28/08 3:20 p.m.

lets get a Sprockets forum

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/28/08 3:21 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: FTL: Faster Than Light?

FTL: Further down The to-do List. (C'mon, it was funny.) I really don't know if we're adding a bike forum. No one tells me nothing.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/28/08 3:26 p.m.

We're taking the request under consideration. No promises. But we hear you.

David S. Wallens
5/28/08 3:30 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: We're taking the request under consideration. No promises. But we hear you.

Yes, we hear you. We have a few other Web projects to handle first, however. (Hint: Keep an eye on our online store.)

Nashco
Nashco Dork
5/28/08 3:41 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: Sub-forums FTL.

Ditto. I like talkin' sprockets, but I don't think this is the place for a dedicated sub-forum.

Bryce

CrackMonkey
CrackMonkey Reader
5/28/08 3:48 p.m.

We need "Sprockets", the magazine, before we need a sub-forum. :twisted:

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
5/28/08 3:52 p.m.

I thought we already had the magazine. Otherwise, how did I become Medical Editor and Sturgis Correspondent for it?

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
5/28/08 4:40 p.m.
CrackMonkey wrote: We need "Sprockets", the magazine, before we need a sub-forum. :twisted:

Dude, seriously, knock that crap off.

jg

John Brown
5/28/08 4:53 p.m.

I thought the forum would be a great pacifier. If we had 30,000 posters monthly on the forum then CrackMonkey can put up the capital to get it started!

phillyj
phillyj New Reader
5/28/08 5:45 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote:
CrackMonkey wrote: We need "Sprockets", the magazine, before we need a sub-forum. :twisted:
Dude, seriously, knock that crap off. jg

Is that sarcasm?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
5/28/08 5:51 p.m.

No, not sarcasm. I think it's desperation. As in: "ZOMG, we used to publish 4 a year, then 6 a year, now 8 berkeleying magazines a year and then they went and bought a whole other magazine and ZOMG if I had to do Sprockets too I think I'd go postal and don't even be the one that suggests it or I'll know where to start."

Josh
Josh Reader
5/28/08 6:40 p.m.

I'd like to see a bike section here. Honestly, I think it would be a great idea for a magazine too. Judging by the content of the bike mags I flip through, they seem to think I'm either trying out for MotoGP next week, planning a cross-continent trip on a BMW that costs more than all the cars I've owned combined, or I'd like to be dipped in chrome when I die. I'd say a magazine focused on the large group of enthusiasts buying affordable, usable bikes, fixing/modifying/restoring them and just having fun would be pretty unique in the market. But I'd settle for just a forum :).

David S. Wallens
5/28/08 7:16 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: No, not sarcasm. I think it's desperation. As in: "ZOMG, we used to publish 4 a year, then 6 a year, now 8 berkeleying magazines a year and then they went and bought a whole other magazine and ZOMG if I had to do Sprockets too I think I'd go postal and don't even be the one that suggests it or I'll know where to start."

Yep, when I started here we did six GRMs per year, and each one was 64 pages.

Current annual production schedule:

8 x GRM (196 pages each)

6 x Classic Motorsports (~148 pages each)

4 x British Motoring (48 pages each)

1 x Mitty program (32 pages)

Plus Web stuff.

Don't tell my wife, but I think we could do a cool bike mag.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
5/28/08 8:49 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
Dr. Hess wrote: No, not sarcasm. I think it's desperation. As in: "ZOMG, we used to publish 4 a year, then 6 a year, now 8 berkeleying magazines a year and then they went and bought a whole other magazine and ZOMG if I had to do Sprockets too I think I'd go postal and don't even be the one that suggests it or I'll know where to start."
Yep, when I started here we did six GRMs per year, and each one was 64 pages. Current annual production schedule: 8 x GRM (196 pages each) 6 x Classic Motorsports (~148 pages each) 4 x British Motoring (48 pages each) 1 x Mitty program (32 pages) Plus Web stuff. Don't tell my wife, but I think we could do a cool bike mag.

You forgot calendars and event production (Daytona, Mitty, Challenge, UTCC).

But, yeah, there's a lot of cheap CBR600F2s out there that would make awesome projects.

jg

David S. Wallens
5/28/08 9:18 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: You forgot calendars and event production (Daytona, Mitty, Challenge, UTCC). But, yeah, there's a lot of cheap CBR600F2s out there that would make awesome projects. jg

Oh yeah, forgot about those projects. So, when you read in the next issue that I had a shop do some of the work on my CRX so I could make a track day, I don't want to hear about it.

And CBR600 is cool, but JG and I have already done them. If we did a bike mag, an SV650 would be tempting. Once you paint the wheels black, they look pretty tough.

Wowak
Wowak Dork
5/28/08 11:40 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: We're taking the request under consideration. No promises. But we hear you.

How are we supposed to accuse you of selling out now? Please go back to ignoring us. :grin:

ACarlson
ACarlson New Reader
5/29/08 8:55 a.m.

I'm putting in my vote for Sprockets. Lots of potential there. All my projects qualify...

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
5/29/08 9:00 a.m.

I always liked the sprokets threads in the old board's readerses' rideses section.

Teaser photos: '72 Honda CL175 (almost running!)

'89 Honda VTR 250 (not running yet) I know it's ugly...It was given to me this way! (except without a tank)

Clem

John Brown
5/29/08 9:15 a.m.

No such thing as an ugly bike, just ugly women on the back of the bike.

914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
5/29/08 10:21 a.m.

I love it when powers succumb.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oFUbcrqz5Cd5prX66LDvlcmlf1HwMNJrL4EKcYvGNiEC97dEOeghbcsNcN4NhM3N