1 2
Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
5/29/08 10:36 a.m.

How about an Old Skool Cafe Racer from a 883? That would be a cool project. Take an eBay or CL 883 for 2-3K, add on a monster jug kit to punch it out to 1400 or so (whatever's BIG and bolts on), some cams (takes 4 cams to go fast), Microsquirt it with some Buell parts, add one of those Limey dome cafe racer fairings, some Metzlers. Paint with Rustoleum. Go hunt down Jap bikes. Oh yeah, that'd be a good Sprockets project bike.

minimac
minimac Dork
5/29/08 1:11 p.m.

C'mon, let Baxter get this board fixed before throwing another at him. but, I like the idea......besides, JG, what if you had to get a REAL job? (go to work at 8, be home at 5 or so, weekends off, etc.):nice:

CrackMonkey
CrackMonkey Reader
5/29/08 1:38 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: H... monster jug kit to punch it out to 1400 or so (whatever's BIG and bolts on)

Much over 1250 and you have to start grinding the crankcase. Keep it at 1250ish and it's all plug-n-play.

And I prefer the dirt-tracker look.

Have you seen this video... http://www.vitalmx.com/videos/features/0-Harley-Sportster-at-A-Day-In-The-Dirt,2395/Harley-Sportster-at-A-Day-In-The-Dirt,389/GuyB,64

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/29/08 1:49 p.m.

(Margie, Tim please don' tbe mad at me)

Maybe just an annual (2010) Sprockets special edition issue of GRM? Do a single issue with cool readers bikes and a couple detailed builds with 2-5 page spreads each. Figure a dozen total entries with 2 detail 5 mid size writes and 5 quick views.

Waiting to have my IP address blocked.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
5/29/08 2:10 p.m.

My driveway is worse than that track. Piece of cake with the EFI.

phillyj
phillyj New Reader
5/29/08 3:23 p.m.
Josh wrote: I'd like to see a bike section here. Honestly, I think it would be a great idea for a magazine too. Judging by the content of the bike mags I flip through, they seem to think I'm either trying out for MotoGP next week, planning a cross-continent trip on a BMW that costs more than all the cars I've owned combined, or I'd like to be dipped in chrome when I die. I'd say a magazine focused on the large group of enthusiasts buying affordable, usable bikes, fixing/modifying/restoring them and just having fun would be pretty unique in the market. But I'd settle for just a forum :).

Try ordering Classic Motorcycle Mechanics. They are mostly about the bikes of the 70s and 80s and they have also started going into the early 90s hooligan bikes. Good mag with great rebuilds, technicals, and ride reviews. I would compare it to GRM. Actually, if I ever did compare motorsports mags, they will always be tried against the high quality of GRM.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt HalfDork
5/29/08 3:53 p.m.

A subforum would be cool. I was commuting on my GS500 all April, and this week my Corvette's been stuck in the garage with a bad cooling fan motor so I'm riding a two wheeler to work again.

Josh
Josh Reader
5/29/08 4:05 p.m.
phillyj wrote: Try ordering Classic Motorcycle Mechanics.

I'll look for that one next time I'm at Borders. As I tinker away on my '85 Nighthawk 650, I feel like I'm on a different planet than everyone in the magazines I read. Of course, I still read them, because even if I can't pay for it, I do badly want a Monster or a Street Triple :).

jdmae92
jdmae92 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/29/08 6:46 p.m.

I just checked out Classic Motorcycle Mechanics online. It looks like just the magazine I am looking for but I'm not willing to spend $102 for 12 issues quite yet. I wish they were based in the States.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Reader
5/30/08 11:24 a.m.

You Know, a sprockets article in both GRM & CM once in a while would suit me just fine.

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
5/30/08 11:50 a.m.

blockquote>And CBR600 is cool, but JG and I have already done them. If we did a bike mag, an SV650 would be tempting. Once you paint the wheels black, they look pretty tough.

I'd perfer a <

Engine based on the SV650, but less top end, more midrange. Much nicer to commute on if you have any high speed runs. And the flat black just looks good.

therex
therex Dork
5/30/08 12:45 p.m.

Motorcyclist just released a new Magazine (bi monthly) but I forget what it's called...(Motorcyclist Classics, I think) and I also have a subscription to Motorcycle Classics, (I know, they sound the same but they are different) which has a slightly older focus but generally has really good articles on 70's era bikes.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ygu0MrGuxV2iZ3YJkmdNtNsxtXuQFVGTQMMcnjHFVwjMi4iEl9rozljvEDuTGojy