1 2
03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
11/20/22 1:13 a.m.

I finished off my poorly started thread, and moved here. 
For my limited surfing and inter webs use, I've always been fine. 
As I go back out into the traveling contract world, I'm finding my devices are not up to the task

So I found out the cheap laptop I bought around '18, and hated at the the time, might be usable. 
But I have not learned anything new about computers since my first Win 98, and a few machines I upgraded or built back then. So I do need some help

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
11/20/22 1:24 a.m.

It aparently has a Celeron 1.6 processor, 4gb ram, and the drawback, a 32gb flash "drive" soldered to the motherboard. 
Even though it was used for next to nothing before, it had gotten to almost full on storage (less than 1g available!) I got it down last night to about half,, deleting bloat. 
Used it to contact a state website I'm forced to deal with, this morning, and it did its own win update while I was online. Storage came back to only 4g available!!!

Surfed with my phone to see what else I could delete, and got back to 3/4 or less. I think I'll be able to live with that, if I put a SD card in for any files I want to keep. 

No clue if I needed to redact a couple numbers or not, but what the hey!

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
11/20/22 1:36 a.m.

The battery, after setting on a shelf for years is not accepting a charge...battery is internal only, but I found instructions to take this apart. 
HP

The memory stick is 4gb; if it will recognize more, may be worth it?

do they make that still? Or available reasonable?

Oh, to those that haven't seen me mention, last contract screwd me, so zero income till I find something, so gotta be cheap, but need better hardware to jump through modern "paperwork"

CJ
CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/20/22 1:40 a.m.

These are the specs for the Stream 14. 

Display - 14" · 1366 x 768p

Processor - Dual Core 1.6 GHz Intel Celeron

Graphics - Intel HD Graphics 400 4GB DDR3L

Storage - 64GB SSD

RAM - 4GB DDR3L SDRAM 1.6 GHz

It came out at the end of 2016, so 6 years old.  It was a very low-end system to begin with and, to be honest, I can't believe it ever ran Windows 10 with 4GB of RAM.

You said you were frustrated trying to use it and I can absolutely see why.  At best, it will be slow and freeze occasionally.  Running multiple programs at the same time would be out of the question. 

You really need something newer and more capable than this.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
11/20/22 1:49 a.m.

In looking into this, I saw Win10 lite mentioned; that might be a way to help this. Don't know. 
I'm prolly smart enough to do a Linux, but never had the patience to try. 
Since I'm trying to "fit in" the modern .... well , that,    I'm not sure Linux is the best plan. 10 light may or may not. Donno. 

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
11/20/22 1:57 a.m.

In reply to CJ :

Worse, it's only 32gb, on this. The repair manual mentioned 64, and all AMD, but it ain't. Found other ref. online to the 64, and only a few to the 32 that it is. Did see that this 32 eMMC only has about 29gb usable. And a LOT of that is hogged by big brother bill. crying

You mentioned maybe having some old hardware; I'd be interested, as I'm sure I'd be satisfied with your prices, and help getting to usable.  
This hp was super low end, and I think close to 100 bucks at the time. But served it's purpose  at the time, so it's my "free" starting point, atm angel

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
11/20/22 2:04 a.m.

I had an Averatec 11" laptop I loved back when XP was already out for a while. Had a disc drive, full keyboard, and light and portable 

I've had 17" laptop, but I think I like the smaller better. 
Tablets come in 11 and more; but get expensive quick, and neither my wife's I pad or my Tab A will do what I need, so interested in a cheap laptop! Or even a desktop;   90% of the time, I have access to 120VAC. . 

CJ
CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/20/22 2:05 a.m.

Just did some checking at Crucial  and it appears that your system would accept one 2GB module or one 4GB module.  Looks like you have the maximum memory installed already.

CJ
CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/20/22 2:11 a.m.

I tried to boot the old system and the drive spins, but no screen.  I'll mess with it a bit tomorrow and try to see why.

I guess you were posting while I was.  Looks like you had most of the info already.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
11/20/22 2:11 a.m.

In reply to CJ :

Ouch. That was the last straw!

I was about to ask a processor question (not a Celeron fan back in the early days) but it's a moot point now!!!

think win 10 lite would do? That be my lay hope for this one

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
11/20/22 2:15 a.m.

In reply to CJ :

I have a couple 2.5 solid state drives... I think one is 500gb. One has Win 10 on it. One was a backup storage.

No hurry. I got through the painful part. And can find access at a library, if push comes to shove! 

CJ
CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/20/22 2:16 a.m.

I just can't see this system being a solution. 

Let me see if I have an old system around that still works.  If I can find something better than your HP, you can have it.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/20/22 8:59 a.m.

If CJ can't come up with something I know I have a few/too many laptops kicking around that would be better than what you have and will happily send one along.

Folgers
Folgers Reader
11/20/22 10:55 a.m.

I came her thinking this was going to be about an obscure out board boat motor. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
11/20/22 1:33 p.m.

I also have a few old computers I could probably part with, but they're likely not what you *need*.

What are you looking for Panther? Do you need a portable something like a laptop? Or could a desktop do you just fine?

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
11/20/22 5:02 p.m.

In reply to Folgers :

Ha! I shoulda put more thought into the title !

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
11/20/22 5:11 p.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

80% of the time, a desktop would do. 90% of the time (more, really) I have 120VAC. 
I have two older gaming computers (iirc 92v is part of motherboard numbers) that I would need some tech help. But lugging that beast around in my 15' camper would be a pain! I would do it if either worked well as is, but not ideal. 
a small form factor desktop could probably work. 

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
11/20/22 5:31 p.m.

This latest look for something better than my antiques, came up as I tried to use a state website that requires access to their pop ups they use for information. Neither my phone nor my tablet would do that. 
My phone, and the email I use, will not let me attach my resume (word, with a list of each former job in an excel file imbedded) to send anyone. That's ok, my tablet (and same web email) will, so I can send it to all the various contracts I'm trying to get. But the tablet will not let me update it with lastest contract. So I fire up one of several OLD laptops we have around (one is still XP) 

I do like having a cd/dvd drive, but seldom need. 
I seldom have great web access, so not a fan of Word/excell (office) online only. I have Office (new enough for me) on a disc, and I did successfully get it loaded on the HP stream

truthfully, with a actuall hard drive instead of this eMMC, and more ram, this Stream would meet my need. The laptop linked in other thread would be great; just don't have the $250 just yet. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
11/20/22 7:35 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

Things like CD Drives can easily be peripherals that can run over USB3.0, and if you're willing to learn a little about basic linux distros (Linux Mint is meant to work as closely to Windows as possible to help newbies like myself make the jump, i've never had to open command prompts or anything) then we can snag or build you a small desktop that does tons of things you want while your old laptop gets converted into better. But with it's bad battery, I'm not sure that's viable.

Lemme phrase it a different way then- what do you need, versus what do you want? What do you use your laptop for that isn't word processing and the like?

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
11/20/22 7:44 p.m.

After getting rid of a lot of bloat, I went online tonight, and used IE to load Chrome; took a while, but no hang upslaugh

Used chrome to access the state site I've been having to deal with, and it did everything fine!

I doubt I'll get a contract till after this holiday , maybe not till next an then of course new years, but I have before, so hopefully...

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
11/20/22 7:50 p.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

I don't know enough to say what I need vs want. That post covered it as best as I am able crying

don't know what else to say. 

The lack of cd drive was an annoyance at the time; don't know if it still would be. But I also checked... external for $16, even I can afford. Although I doubt I own anything with usb 3.0, 2.0 never seemed to slow for my uses. 
EDIT: I did dig in and find this hp does support USB 3.0. Might've only thing I have that does! Definitely don't mind using anything external. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
11/20/22 7:56 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

3.0 and 3.1 will change your life. They can move so much data they can be used as display ports now, and there's even video card docks where you can plug external video cards into your laptop's USB 3.0 ports and run games as if it had a beefy video card system.

Keeping the CD/DVD/Bluray Drive external might be the best option- I use mine rarely, and a nice external will cost the same as a new internal Blu-ray drive for a desktop, so there's really no point.

How much do you have to spend?

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
11/20/22 9:47 p.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

Well, the external I saw for $16 even I can afford, and I'm sure would do as much or more than I need. That cheap might only be 2.0, but that's really all I need as well. 
My needs are SO basic, a younger tech guy whould have trouble understanding!!! So thanks for the patience laugh

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
11/20/22 10:10 p.m.

All I've ever used a computer / iPhone / tablet (whopping Tab A) for:

never play games

my wife uses an app for :

the tube of you. I just open a browser. 
Amazon. I just open a browser. 
e bay. I just open a browser. 
her email. I just open a browser to view my web based provider (whatever they are called)

Prolly a few more I forgot. But you get where that's going. 

I do use Word, for putting some data I want to keep, and letters, ect. Other programs would do for myself, but Word has the ability to be compatible with the mainstream folks I might deal with. 
I do a few different things with Excel, but its 98% just for my own data, and fun (sad, ain't I)

I go online for this forum, and to a MUCH lesser time a couple others. And do searches from google for lots of questions. 
And I go to websites for job applications and contract paperwork for each contract... sometimes 5 or 6 times a year

I do have a printer and a scanner, although mostly these days, I just take a photo of a document, instead of hooking up the scanner!

I use a fair bit of Paint (have not learned a thing about the new paint 3d) to clean up various things... from pictures to poorly scanned pdf files. I find it fun going down to the pixel level and making a "fuzzy" line clean. 

Im totally comfortable moving files, data and folders around. 
I can do some VERY basic stuff, in the background areas of windows ( learned on Win98) where you can really screw a computer up by doing something wrong. But VERY minimal, as I don't want to screw up

Prolly smart enough for Linux,(if bairly)  but never had the patience. Back in the late days of Win 98, when we HATED how bloated xp was, I read some on various Linux, but compatibility problems keep me from trying it. 
Edit: my wife has her own hardware, and although I'm a full fledged tech geek com paired to her, she embraced the whole "click here, dummy" approach, and lets her apps tell her what to do. I did not. Proving, once again, she is smarter than me blush

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
11/20/22 10:19 p.m.

Side question:

My only inter web at the house, is my I 6 SE used as a hot spot. 
I prefer to hook it to the computer , tethered with the usb, ILO wi fi. 
This HP does not recognition that way for access. 
it does recognize the wi fi, and for viewing/copying pictures off phone, but how to I tell it (I assume in networking) to use it for internet connection. 
pardon my poor wording. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eTfcEjfiRvPxVkbsHp4k8Yte4EiRsqO8FrnNRBST9lF9jPsObPmEBkha5YfnkaOa