93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/11/22 4:32 p.m.

If I have one 9k mini split and two rooms that should need 9k BTUs to cool, will it cool both rooms if the door is open most of the time? I am thinking about also adding some pass thru vents in the walls and a ceiling fan in the room with no mini split.

Other option I guess would be two small window units but I don't really have windows to put them in.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
8/11/22 4:33 p.m.

BTDT the pass through vents need to be active not passive to make it work.

Get a second head for the mini split

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/11/22 4:52 p.m.

In reply to carguy123 :

I can't find a head small enough.

The two rooms are 11x9 and 11x13 so around 6k BTU and 7k BTU.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/11/22 4:57 p.m.

Vents, doors open, and some sort of fan going between them - either active vents or just a fan in the doorway - and you should be in decent shape. We used to cool two bedrooms with a portable AC and a fan going between the Jack and Jill bathroom between them. We now have mini splits, each room with its own head. I like that a lot better.

Ceiling fan will help a little, but not a ton unless you're standing in its path. You need to move the air between the rooms.

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
8/11/22 5:00 p.m.
93EXCivic said:

In reply to carguy123 :

I can't find a head small enough.

The two rooms are 11x9 and 11x13 so around 6k BTU and 7k BTU.

Get an outdoor unit with an inverter.  The system will adjust to the actual load in each room.  The inverter controls the speed of the compressor as opposed to the typical on or off of a standard unit.  

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/11/22 5:08 p.m.

You need 9k and are using 9k ... I think you are cutting it too close.

Are you going to run this all the time or only when you are in there? If only when you are in there, it will take time to bring the temp down ... you might need to start running it 2 or so hours before you head that way.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/11/22 5:11 p.m.

In reply to 11GTCS :

So if it has an inverter, it doesn't matter if it is oversized for the space?

Like this one for example?

https://www.amazon.com/PIONEER-Air-Conditioner-WYS030GMHI22M3-System/dp/B01EA833XS?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=A18KRV18GLJUCW

Are these able to be DIY installed?

Slippery
8/12/22 7:34 a.m.

I believe all mini splits are inverters.

When it comes to DIY ... can you buy the Freon if the lines are not precharged? There is your answer.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
8/12/22 8:01 a.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic :

I have 3 mini splits to cool 5500 sq ft   3 stories.  

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/12/22 8:47 a.m.
Slippery said:

When it comes to DIY ... can you buy the Freon if the lines are not precharged? There is your answer.

I don't think that is correct. From what I can seen there are rotary units and inverter units.

Won't I need a bunch of special tools to pressure check it and charge it, if it doesn't have precharged lines?

Slippery
8/12/22 8:52 a.m.
93EXCivic said:
Slippery said:

I don't think that is correct. From what I can seen there are rotary units and inverter units.

Won't I need a bunch of special tools to pressure check it and charge it, if it doesn't have precharged lines?

I am not sure if you are serious or not with your last sentence ... If you don't have the freon, you will not need any special tools.

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
8/12/22 8:53 a.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic :

That system you linked can run down to 6,630 BTUH minimum capacity and would need 3 heads connected.   There’s full manufacturers literature including installation instructions further down the page (downloads).   I’d say you could likely do some of the work however you’ll need someone with an HVAC service manifold , vacuum pump , etc. to finish the installation and do the start up.   I’ve not heard of that brand, I’d be a little concerned longer term if parts were needed in the future. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/12/22 9:52 a.m.
Slippery said:
93EXCivic said:
Slippery said:

I am not sure if you are serious or not with your last sentence ... If you don't have the freon, you will not need any special tools.

???? I am not following.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/12/22 9:54 a.m.

In reply to 11GTCS :

Any recommended brands to look at?

Slippery
8/12/22 9:56 a.m.
93EXCivic said:
Slippery said:
93EXCivic said:
Slippery said:

????

Your tool comment is pointless if you cannot buy the freon. Here in Florida you cannot buy the R410 unless you are licensed or have an account. 

That was my point. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/12/22 10:20 a.m.

In reply to Slippery :

Gotcha. I didn't know that tbh.

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
8/12/22 10:26 a.m.
Slippery said:

Some freons are not that hard to find, so it seemed like a reasonable question, to me. 

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
8/12/22 10:29 a.m.

I've never been asked to show anything to buy Freon, but never bought any in FL, either!

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
8/12/22 11:04 a.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic :

Samsung, Mitsubishi, Fujitsu and Daikin all seem to be good quality and well supported for parts and tech support.  

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/12/22 11:10 a.m.

In reply to 11GTCS :

Excellent. Thanks. I'll look around.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
etdo22cprVNt6O0KM11AYgGNadn1QC5CMcYUxxu0gqgqiPDM7FFARA5rcio5rpqd