1 2 3 ... 5
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/12/22 6:36 p.m.

I just realized I can buy my own helicopter for $32,000.00. I am off down a deep dark rabbithole. 

Mosquito Ultralight Helicopter | Light Aircraft DB & Sales (pilotmix.com)

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
1/12/22 6:44 p.m.

Where do you mount the BRS? That is "IF" you can deploy it with the blades spinning.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/12/22 6:55 p.m.

My dad worked for a guy in the late 80's-90's that had a helicopter so he can "get to job sites quicker".  I think he also commuted into work in it.  Global Fire Protection in Downers Grove, IL.  So it must be doable?

I really am unclear where he was always landing it but it shows up on a map. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/12/22 6:57 p.m.

Wait, a 2 stroke engine?    

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
1/12/22 6:58 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

I am mostly disappointed that the fire restoration business is located right next to multiple fire protection businesses on that map.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/12/22 7:03 p.m.

I flew a helicopter last year and want one so bad. My wife wants one worse.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/12/22 7:08 p.m.

I both want one and it scares the crap out of me at the same time.  Do they make some sort of parachute that mounts to the center/top of the rotor?  OR have an o E36 M3 button that ejects the rotor and deploys a parachute?

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
1/12/22 7:11 p.m.

The rotor is the parachute

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/12/22 7:13 p.m.

Colin McCae was one of the best drivers of all time and a helicopter got the best of him, I'll take a hard pass on flying my own helicopter. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
1/12/22 7:25 p.m.

I'm just gonna drop this here and say be safe...

https://time.com/5264417/lottery-winner-crashes-helicopter/

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/12/22 7:30 p.m.

What a bunch of Debbie Downers. Not the enabling I have come to expect from GRM. laugh

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/12/22 7:43 p.m.
preach (dudeist priest) said:

I flew a helicopter last year and want one so bad. My wife wants one worse.

Has your wife recently taken out a large life insurance policy on you?

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/12/22 7:44 p.m.

In reply to bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) :

My enabling relates to questionable decision making with regards to financial decisions pertaining to projects that will potentially remain unfinished or have build times measured in marriages. Not in the exploration of terminal velocity. 

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
1/12/22 7:46 p.m.

Enablers and assisted suicide are vastly different things. I've rode/drove/operated/flew all kinds of stuff, but I know for a fact a 'chopper is beyond my abilities. 
a plane uses the laws of physics to achieve flight... a helicopter beats the laws into submission!!!

Keith Tanner
1/12/22 7:46 p.m.
dean1484 said:

I both want one and it scares the crap out of me at the same time.  Do they make some sort of parachute that mounts to the center/top of the rotor?  OR have an o E36 M3 button that ejects the rotor and deploys a parachute?

I like your emergency design. "The rotor is overspeeding! Make it someone else's problem!"

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
1/12/22 7:47 p.m.

In reply to Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

You got there while I was typing!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/12/22 8:00 p.m.

Join the EAA. We've been building and flying our own rotory wing vehicles for over 50 years.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/12/22 8:07 p.m.

The thought of hanging on a $25 bearing being held in place by a $.59 clip give me the heebeegeebees. 

Hard pass.

wake74
wake74 Reader
1/12/22 8:26 p.m.

Spend any amount of time on the Average Middle Class Garage Goals group on FB, and you'd think that everyone has a personal helicopter.  Or at least all the cool kids.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/12/22 8:27 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
dean1484 said:

I like your emergency design. "The rotor is overspeeding! Make it someone else's problem!"

There are actually military helicopters with a similar system, they eject the rotors (one at a time, with explosive bolts where the rotor blade attaches) and then fire ejection seats.

I say it all the time, small aircraft are the rich man's only natural predator...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/12/22 8:31 p.m.

Found a video of the Sikorsky S-72 ejection system being tested, unfortunately recorded on a potato:

Keith Tanner
1/12/22 8:46 p.m.

I feel the military is a little more sanguine about throwing stuff around when they feel it's necessary. No FAA on the battlefield. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
1/12/22 8:46 p.m.
Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
1/12/22 8:54 p.m.

I'll get in a small plane anytime. Helicopters are where I say no. Just don't seem safe. 

Folgers
Folgers New Reader
1/12/22 9:11 p.m.

An old quote from a guy with a helicopter I knew. “ A helicopter is a thousand moving parts trying to get away from each other.”

He was a chopper mechanic during Vietnam, told many stories of fixing one and never seeing it again. Never knew what happened after. Did it break, get shot down, moved to a different area of operations? It weighed on him. 

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SHpxYBJ0ErH7vKvCghT0ilvCMBHAFXzOQcRxt6vgQLRXMMTzAAT9V6PS5NYNxz6V