maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
8/26/08 7:12 a.m.

I noticed that during the F1 broadcast this last sunday, Bob Varsha mentioned that Phil Hill was in the hospital. He may have been a few years before my time, but as the 1st American World Champion, I am extremely entrigued by his career. if anyone knows anything about what hospital he is in, or maybe a reason why he is there, I would appreciate it. The Google is no good at finding info on him.

the only thing i know is that he had to cancel an appearance at Monterey, and that he is in a southern california hospital.

scotaku
scotaku New Reader
8/26/08 8:58 p.m.

I read something along the lines of he developed an infection but had been treated and was being released.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
8/27/08 9:51 a.m.

okay, cool, I found something similar, but wasn't sure of the source.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
8/28/08 2:57 p.m.

Sad News:

Phil Hill: 1927-2008 By Denise McCluggage | 08/28/08, 3:17 pm et Shortly after 10 a.m. PST, America's first World Champion, Phil Hill, passed away in a Monterey County, Calif., hospital as a result of respiratory problems complicated by Parkinson's disease. Hill was 81. This story first appeared in the pages of Automobile Quarterly in 1962, the year following Hill's championship title victory....

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/28/08 3:04 p.m.

Oh, man. Sorry to hear that. Phil Hill was one of my heroes.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
8/28/08 3:17 p.m.

You have GOT to be Berkeleying kidding me.

I heard everything was on the up and up. That guy was one of my Berkeleying heroes. it was a goal to meet the man, i guess that is one number on my bucket list i can forget about.

sad day for the motorsports community.

JFX001
JFX001 HalfDork
8/28/08 3:40 p.m.

Man, what a shame. He was one of my heroes as well.

SoloSonett
SoloSonett Reader
8/29/08 6:59 a.m.

No longer a slave to Parkinson's Phil is free to race with all the other greats.

GB the Hill family.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SmPWtE8OXSm0KTwyQxXYPJtPcJgs8U4ZFmydXjh1SmF3gJdsRy3lQfLVTc8RGGXj