pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/19 8:33 a.m.

After many years, I have finally upped my shed game. When we bought the place, it came with a rusty 8x10 metal shed. I added a “temporary” tarp shed for about 6 years.  It actually held up really well and provided a ton of space for $200.  

But they were ugly and not ideal and full of creatures. So I started looking online and found an Amish-built place that I liked. They use solid pine planks for everything,  2x4s that are actually 2” x 4”! They had one in inventory that was the size and specs I wanted  

The roll-up door was the clincher, I have a lot of things on wheels  I called, they marked it sold, then it was on to site prep  

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/10/19 8:40 a.m.

That's damn near a single car garage! 

pinchvalve
9/10/19 8:45 a.m.

I began by tearing out the old and taking the metal to a scrap dealer. $13 back in the budget! The metal shed was on a concrete pad, so that got a pressure wash.  It was poured June 14, 1989 apparently.

A neighbor needed fill, so I took all the crap that had accumulated behind the sheds to him. It's amazing how many bricks and blocks I hoarded!  He had rented a “digger” for a project at his place, so I borrowed it. I must say, I loved playing with this thing!  He got the dirt from the hole too.  

That’s my wife’s father. He was down for the Labor Day weekend and is in much better shape than me.  He did a ton of work and I couldn’t have finished without him. The plan was to build a shed pad behind the concrete pad to accommodate the longer shed. 

Of course, we ran into roots and a petrified telephone pole! Oh well, adjust the plan and move on. The shed is only on two skids so most of this is to keep burrowing things from wanting to live under the shed. 

Looking good, ready for some crushed limestone. 

pinchvalve
9/10/19 8:52 a.m.

I hope I got enough. 

It was way too much. So we filled in some corners, lined the drainage lines over the hill...

I even filled in a brick sidewalk that was slowly sinking to middle earth. Might add pavers later, but after running the compactor over the 2A, it’s pretty solid. 

I kinda like the yard being all open, maybe I don’t want a shed? Oh well, too late now.

pinchvalve
9/10/19 8:58 a.m.

Shed’s here! Will it clear the power lines?

Just kidding, it’s the cable tv lines. How about the trees? 

Nope. Some pruning cleared the way. 

After much fiddling, it was in place. Now on to outfitting it, adding racks, and extending the ramps. 

pinchvalve
9/10/19 9:06 a.m.

A few things in, need to find time for more shed work. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/10/19 9:13 a.m.

I like the "sideways" placement on the lot.  It seems more pleasant to look at the man-door rather than look at the garage door.  

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/10/19 9:21 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

The garage door IS the man door. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
9/10/19 9:30 a.m.

It's a lovely shed, but based on the title, I was expecting a baby!

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/10/19 9:35 a.m.

That is great! I've wanted to just buy one of these pre-made sheds, but I can't think of any way they can get a truck into my back yard to deliver it.

I'm going to have to get a kit or something.

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/10/19 9:48 a.m.

You mentioned the 2x4s, are they unplaned? Planed dimensional lumber measuring 2x4 can't be common.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/10/19 10:04 a.m.
Mndsm said:

That's damn near a single car garage! 

If you drove BMW Isettas it is probably damn near a 4, or even 5 car garage.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/10/19 10:06 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:

It's a lovely shed, but based on the title, I was expecting a baby!

I was thinking to myself "didn't he just send one off to college? Why add more?" I forgot he'd been shed dreaming

pinchvalve
9/10/19 10:35 a.m.
Rons said:

You mentioned the 2x4s, are they unplaned? Planed dimensional lumber measuring 2x4 can't be common.

I'm not sure what you call them, the builders have a tree farm and they mill their own lumber. Some of the 2x4s still have bark on the edges, it's rough-hewn for sure. 

As for more kids, after a vasectomy and menopause, it would be quite a surprise! 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/10/19 11:27 a.m.

So is her new She Shed...or is it the Bitch Barn?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/19 12:43 p.m.

can you paint the door a less white color?   IMO it really looks out of place against the wood construction.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/19 1:08 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

can you paint the door a less white color?   IMO it really looks out of place against the wood construction.

That’s racist!

laugh

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
9/10/19 5:30 p.m.

Our "Amish" shed was delivered by the same type of trailer.  The hydraulics on it were pretty trick.  

No Time
No Time Dork
9/10/19 6:35 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy :

They did mine without getting a truck in the yard. They used a motorized fork truck/tractor unit to get it in place. 

pinchvalve
9/18/19 9:40 a.m.

I finally got the ramps situated.

No, The wood on the ramp doesn’t match but I think it will weather over time I’d be less noticeable. If I’m traveling and happened upon an Amish mill I’ll buy some planks. I needed the extra length to reduce the break over angle to get the riding mower in. (Ignore the cement block, its just sitting there.)

With the big ramp, I didn’t need one for the man door so I modified it into a step instead.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
9/18/19 9:47 a.m.

Where did you  buy the shed from? I'm planning on getting one for our back yard fairly soon. 

pinchvalve
9/18/19 9:52 a.m.

Riverside Structures.

It cost me an extra $100 for delivery to Pittsburgh, but I liked the looks and the features and the cost a lot more than anything available locally.  I mean, a basic shed without the options I added is $2K in 12 x 16.  Compare that to anything at the chains or big box stores.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
9/22/19 5:49 p.m.

Wow. That's an amazing price. I'm in Beaver Falls so I should get the free shipping too. Thanks!  I'll be ordering one very soon.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bDgwUm5cl4bTClXZyeGzsK363YUihepDmmrCEMjE24UWe42ccgiWTo7NUAED8zxw