jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports New Reader
7/14/08 10:59 a.m.

Some co-workers and I will be through London, ON next week.

Anybody have suggestions on good local places to eat?

(We'll be staying at the Hampton Inn on Exeter Rd if that helps with location.)

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
7/14/08 11:38 a.m.

Well, I know that we have some members who live in the general area. I've never actually ived in London, but I have spent 4 months in the hospital there. I recommend Fatty Pattys on, (if memory serves)) Springbank which is near Wonderland. Not Canada's Wonderland, which is north of Toronto, but Wonderland Rd. Great burgers and fries. Last time I was in town was for a family reunion type meal, and we ate at one of the high end hotels. Nice, but I'd have preferred a burger.

On another note, Shaw Auto Recyclers used to be a good yard, last time I was there, they would let you walk the yard, not sure if they do anymore.

jwdmotorsports
7/14/08 12:00 p.m.
mistanfo wrote: On another note, Shaw Auto Recyclers used to be a good yard, last time I was there, they would let you walk the yard, not sure if they do anymore.

Hmm....It would have to be small enough parts to take back on the plane though.

Jay
Jay HalfDork
7/14/08 3:27 p.m.

Shaw are pretty much dicks. On more than one occasion at that place, I pulled something I wanted out of a car and brought it up to the counter only to be told they wouldn't sell it to me at any price. Andy's, right across the street, are much better but their yard sometimes turns into a total mudbath.

Actually all London's wreckers are in the same "block", I think there's six or seven around there. Let me know if you want a more detailed rundown.

BUT... You were looking for food. I lived in London from when I was four until I was 25 so I know a few places. Mexicali Rosa's downtown (Piccadilly at Richmond) does great "California-style" Tex-Mex. For Italian I'd reccomend Bertoldi's Trattoria, also on Richmond. Easttown Pizza (a few different locations all over) is pretty good and has won several awards, although I've heard they closed?

If you want Indian I'd highly reccomend the Curry Garden on Richmond at King St. or the Jewel of India which is like two doors away.

Some good pubs are the Waltzing Weasel on Adelaide at Windemere or the Wit's End on Richmond at Fanshawe Park Rd.

London's main restaraunt/nightlife district is on Richmond St. (heard that name a lot huh?) between Dundas and Oxford. Parking can be a problem but on the streets around Victoria Park there's usually some spaces. Most meters are free after 6 PM.

Unfortunately you're staying pretty far off the beaten track, most of the places I've listed are 20-30 minutes drive from your hotel but it'd be worth it to get out. There's not really much in that area. London is pretty easy to navigate but don't count on the bus service, it's crap.

HOWEVER... Make sure you stop in at Princess Auto on Exeter Rd., pretty close to the Hampton. It's something like a giant Harbor Freight mixed with electronics, military surplus, and whatever else they can get their hands on. I really miss it over here.

J

minimac
minimac Dork
7/14/08 3:50 p.m.

Tim Hortons of course! The food is only so-so, but the coffee kicks ass.

pete240z
pete240z HalfDork
7/14/08 4:01 p.m.

Applebee's.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/14/08 5:23 p.m.

Man, it's been a long time since I lived in London. But I'd be heading to one of the university hangouts :) Mostly because that's where I used to go when I lived there. Joe Kools!

jwdmotorsports
7/15/08 7:03 a.m.
minimac wrote: Tim Hortons of course! The food is only so-so, but the coffee kicks ass.

I've had a lot of people tell me that Tim Hortons is better than Starbucks.

I've never been to a Tim Hortons so I'm interested to give one a shot.

I used to work at a coffee house in high school so I'm a bit of a tough critic at times.

Lesley
Lesley Dork
7/15/08 7:18 a.m.

The chip truck at the Farmer's Market!

jwdmotorsports
7/15/08 7:30 a.m.
Jay wrote: Some good pubs are the Waltzing Weasel on Adelaide at Windemere or the Wit's End on Richmond at Fanshawe Park Rd.

If we wanted to grab dinner and a drink which would you recommend over the other?

We will probably go somewhere of our choosing Monday night and then be taken out to dinner by the company we're going to on Tuesday night.

Jay wrote: HOWEVER... Make sure you stop in at Princess Auto on Exeter Rd., pretty close to the Hampton. It's something like a giant Harbor Freight mixed with electronics, military surplus, and whatever else they can get their hands on. I really miss it over here.

I'll have to check it out. You had me at "giant Harbor Freight".

suprf1y
suprf1y New Reader
7/15/08 7:59 a.m.

If you are a tough critic, you will be especially disapointed in Tim Hortons. If you want good coffee, try Williams coffee pub. I would not normally recomend a chain, but if you are near one (there are 2 in London), check out the Keg. http://en.kegsteakhouse.com/home Its not inexpensive, but the value is good, and the food is always excellent. I have eaten Prime rib in many restaurants, and nobody can touch theirs. If you order it, and its not one of the best you've ever had, there is something wrong. They also have a bar. You'll have fun walking around Princess auto, but you won't buy anything. Unless its on sale, their prices are too high on most things.

Jay
Jay HalfDork
7/15/08 8:13 a.m.
jwdmotorsports wrote:
Jay wrote: Some good pubs are the Waltzing Weasel on Adelaide at Windemere or the Wit's End on Richmond at Fanshawe Park Rd.
If we wanted to grab dinner and a drink which would you recommend over the other?

That's a tough pick. I probably spent more time at the Wit's End but I don't remember what they do for food. They do make their own crisps in-house which are mighty tasty. They also close later and their beers are cheaper.

The Weasel does "traditional" pub grub and are pretty good, but I've only eaten there once or twice. Maybe your best bet is to phone them both up and ask what's on their menus.

BTW Tim Horton's is rubbish. I'm convinced its legions of slavish devotees don't actually like coffee, which is why they dump so much milk and sugar in it you can't actually taste it anyway. If you drink your coffee black, don't bother.

jwdmotorsports
7/15/08 8:17 a.m.
suprf1y wrote: check out the Keg. http://en.kegsteakhouse.com/home Its not inexpensive, but the value is good, and the food is always excellent.

I looked at their website but they have no prices on the menu.

Give me a price range to expect.

suprf1y
suprf1y New Reader
7/15/08 10:13 a.m.

14oz (keg size) prime rib, with baked potato, ~$25. Classic dinner (smaller pc of meat), with veggies, salad, baked potato, roughly the same. Its worth every penny.

jwdmotorsports
7/15/08 11:14 a.m.

Talking to the co-workers it looks like the tentative plan right now is Wit's End Monday night and the Keg Tuesday night.

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
7/15/08 11:43 a.m.

Dutchies at Timmy's are not to be missed. I usually bring a dozen home to Virginia. For some reason, the US Timmy's cannot sell them, has something to do with the raisins. I know this odd fact only because my aunt was VP of HR for the chain for a few years, until she got tired of all the travel.

suprf1y
suprf1y New Reader
7/15/08 6:46 p.m.
mistanfo wrote: Dutchies at Timmy's are not to be missed. I usually bring a dozen home to Virginia. For some reason, the US Timmy's cannot sell them...

I do the same, but at Taco bell. We haven't been able to get the enchirito in Canada for about 20yrs, and its my wifes favourite. When I'm in the states I take a cooler, and bring back as many as I feel comfortable ordering

If you make it to the Keg, when the server comes back to your table, and asks how everything is, be honest (they appreciate it). I once had a pc of meat there that was just OK, and told them when asked. The manager fixed it, and came back 3 times to apologize, and make sure I was happy. He then discounted my bill when I turned down desert on the house..

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eHlNWsqLJSiAe6ycwQiD4RNxIY7R6lIn2vKmT7UssLRj1LUaM2qS9dFwxFBq0pt0