1 2
jmabarone
jmabarone Reader
10/26/22 11:11 a.m.

So my wife and I were talking about Christmas presents for our kids.  They are around the age that having a pocket knife is appropriate.  After a little digging and thinking about options, I thought I'd crowd source some suggestions.  For reference, the kids are 8 (girl), 7 (boy), and 6 (boy).  

Here are the criteria that I think is most important:

• Reasonable price, because I don't 100% trust they won't lose it
  • Doesn't have to have a ton of blades
  • Locking blade for the safety

I love my Sod Buster and Sod Buster Jr.  I also had a small Gerber Mini Paraframe that disappeared a few years ago.  That is probably my choice for them, based solely on knives I've owned.  

I have access to a laser marking machine at work, so I plan to personalize them (either the blade or handle) at work.  

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
10/26/22 11:35 a.m.

I'm thinking my boys were a little older than that, but not much.  I'm thinking by the second or third year in Cub Scouts, they were doing knife stuff, so that probably puts them around 8.  I think the first knife was gifted by the den leader, so it was an inexpensive liner lock.  I don't know that the particular knife matters too much, as long as it's not junk and that the child learn how to properly use it. 

And I'm sure it goes without saying, but be sure he never takes it to school.  Teachers and administrators in the school system will go absolutely ape-E36 M3 if they see a knife.  It won't matter if they're just showing it to someone, using it properly, or threatening to cut someone.  The response will be the same--expulsion.

jmabarone
jmabarone Reader
10/26/22 11:46 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:

I'm thinking my boys were a little older than that, but not much.  I'm thinking by the second or third year in Cub Scouts, they were doing knife stuff, so that probably puts them around 8.  I think the first knife was gifted by the den leader, so it was an inexpensive liner lock.  I don't know that the particular knife matters too much, as long as it's not junk and that the child learn how to properly use it. 

And I'm sure it goes without saying, but be sure he never takes it to school.  Teachers and administrators in the school system will go absolutely ape-E36 M3 if they see a knife.  It won't matter if they're just showing it to someone, using it properly, or threatening to cut someone.  The response will be the same--expulsion.

Homeschooled, so not an issue, but good point.  Something that will stay at home except for camping trips or things like that.  

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
10/26/22 11:50 a.m.

In reply to jmabarone :

Good on you, sir!

You could make it a real challenge if you hold out for something that isn't made in China. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/26/22 11:51 a.m.

I had a small, 2 inch or so, folding lock back Buck knife around that age, 8 or so. It's a good size, simple, cheap but decent quality. Might have been a promo from NRA or NWTF. 

A small Swiss army style knife, or even maybe a multi tool with a belt pouch would be good ideas too. 

Find a spot in the house where you will have an absolutely clear view of the knives for them to live when the kids aren't using them. Somewhere that a quick glance will tell you if they have them or not. Maybe look for knives you can put a key chain on and have a holder by the door. 

Edit, last paragraph removed, you homeschool.

russde
russde GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/26/22 11:54 a.m.

simple folding knife would be my recommendation...avoid locking, partly due to cheap china made, and partly to develop skills. Check the 'antique'/junk shops, they typically have some old Case, or Buck folding knives that are well made, sharpen easy, and hold an edge decently.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/26/22 12:00 p.m.

What about the small Swiss Army Knife?

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/26/22 12:02 p.m.

For the younger kids, I'd go with something like this. About $16, you don't have to worry about them falling and stabbing themselves. Edit: Also available in colors so they won't fight over them. 

The picture is the link.

RozCougarMorbidcamp
RozCougarMorbidcamp HalfDork
10/26/22 12:05 p.m.

I carry my grandpa's 3 blade Old Timer. Looking at the brand, they have single blade options as well. I like it as it's inexpensive and holds an edge very well, so you are less likely to get hurt by a full blade. It does not lock, but it does stay open very well. It might be larger than you're looking for, though. 

I had a Gerber parafram once upon a time, and liked it well enough, but it was too big to fit in the paltry pockets clothing companies allow women's clothing to have. 

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/26/22 12:33 p.m.

I carry a Benchmade Mini Bugout. It is pretty pricey but worth every penny. I let my 10-12 y/o use it with supervision. I like it because the locking mechanism is really easy to use. 

Utica Cutlery makes a variety of knives in the USA, a little more reasonable priced. I have a couple of theirs as well but the lock is harder to work (I have the kind where you press on the backside to release it, you have to push hard. 

I understand the loosing it concern, if it wasn't for that I would 100% say benchmade, the quality is amazing.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/26/22 12:33 p.m.

This would be my suggestion:  Ontario Knife OKC Rat II, they are cheap and well built.  

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/26/22 12:45 p.m.
Toyman! said:

For the younger kids, I'd go with something like this. About $16, you don't have to worry about them falling and stabbing themselves. Edit: Also available in colors so they won't fight over them. 

The picture is the link.

Opinel makes a wonderful knife, however I would suggest you play with the locking mechanism on one before you decide on it.  On all of them I've seen, that collar where the blade and handle meet rotates about 30-45° to lock the blade in place.  Its something the user has to do to ensure it locks, not an automatic thing.

As a knife billed as "my first knife" it may be different, but it looks the same.

Other than that, can't say enough good things about them.  Good feel in your hand, good steel, cheap, I love em.

jmabarone
jmabarone Reader
10/26/22 12:49 p.m.

That Opinel looks awesome.  I'd love to find a dealer nearby just to see how it works.  

Thanks for the advice everyone!  Keep it coming!  

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/26/22 12:53 p.m.

In reply to jmabarone :

I find them a lot in camping related stores or sections of stores.  

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
10/26/22 12:56 p.m.

I'm partial to Case XX's basic pocket knives myself. They don't have much heft, but I prefer the "so light you don't notice it" sort of knife.

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
10/26/22 12:57 p.m.

My son got a small Swiss Army Knife for this 13th birthday. I gave him an obnoxious colored paracord keychain to put on it. The keychain makes it harder to lose by falling out of a pocket, and I sold him on the idea that the paracord could be handy in an emergency. He's done a pretty good job keeping up with it so far. He cut himself already, so the knife has been appeased and should hopefully require no further blood sacrifices. But the lesson was learned.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
10/26/22 1:09 p.m.

I still remember what it felt like when I folded my first pocket knife across 3 fingers while trying to whittle. 

Make SURE it locks easily. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/26/22 1:16 p.m.

Opinel. Another vote for these great French knives.  

the lock is bombproof.  Get a carbon blade so he knows how to take care of it.   Sharpens easy.  Just a good nice knife. I've had mine for 25 years. Couldn't imagine going to the woods without it. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/26/22 1:18 p.m.
jmabarone said:

That Opinel looks awesome.  I'd love to find a dealer nearby just to see how it works.  

Thanks for the advice everyone!  Keep it coming!  

I bought my last opinel out of a bin at a Williams Sonoma store at the mall for $7.  Fantastic knife. 

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
10/26/22 1:29 p.m.

Might want to get one with a sheepsfoot blade to lessen chance of stabbing.  My first one had the tip of the blade broken off for that reason.

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
10/26/22 1:59 p.m.

I don't personally see locking as inherently safer for kids than non-locking.  Accidents can, and do, happen with either of they can't properly handle it. Note that the same locking mechanisms we find so easy and convenient to safely use as adults, can be considerably more difficult for (especially younger) kid-hands to reliably close in a safe manner. I'm also not a fan of 1 hand opening designs for kids, and would stick to ones that just have a good old fashioned nail catch on the blade.

Criteria for me would be something small, light, emphasizing easy for kid hands to operate safely, and with a less-aggressive blade design. It might be good to have them try a few out, and see what feels natural to them.

Personally, I'm a fan of the Victorinox Classic SD for a first knife.

The "My First Opinel" looks pretty good too, and may be a happy medium. I have no first hand experience with them, but even though the locking mechanism isn't automatic, locking it is apparently a redundant measure not essential to the functional safety of the knife. In countries where locking knives are prohibited, they simply sell it without the collar and it works in the same manner as any other non-locking (i.e. Victorinox) knife.  One other concern for me is if it might be a bit on the big side of comfortable for younger kids to carry and use.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/26/22 2:28 p.m.

My picks: 

These are my picks for a first knife. There are better knives out there - Spyderco, Kershaw, Case, etc., as well as the small knifemakers out there - but for a first knife I would personally stay with one of the above or similar. 

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/26/22 8:55 p.m.

I had a drawer full of little pocket knifes, and that's what I gave to my 8 year old son. I made sure the blade was dull, and had a rule that it had to have a "home", a place that the knife lives when not in use. If he did not lose it for 6 months, then he got a bigger one. If he opened and closed it without pinching fingers, he got a sharp one. He has moved up to 2 bigger and sharper knifes in 2 years. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/26/22 10:06 p.m.

I like these Gerbers

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
10/26/22 10:18 p.m.

Kershaw Chive, Scallion, or Leek would be my recommendation.  USA made and colors available.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
w5YSS0EshQPHFJJsqlKFcz9t5XQ4CUiA1XcjrNCmBCRZVKvpkssCbSWzQXL1Vlh9