1 2 3 ... 6
Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/8/14 11:23 a.m.

A buddy of mine was a salesman for Hilti (he moved to Wurth). He gave me a Hilti branded pocket knife that is one of the best I've ever owned. The blade is about 3 inches long, and it has an integrated bottle opener.

It was made by Rostfrei in Solingen, Germany.

Back in the 90s I owned a little Gerber pocket knife. It had a black polymer handle. It took a great edge and was one of the sharpest knives I ever owned. It got lost and I replaced it with what I thought was the same model, but apparently Gerber changed the steel at some point in time and it was nowhere near as good.

I've also got a non-pocket knife puukka/fillet knife combo that I picked up at a garage sale years ago. The blades are stainless and the handles are birch. It was made in Finland by RKP and has "Tunturi-Puukko" on the blade and Tunturiloma on the back of the sheath. I know nothing about it other than the puuka has handled a ton of abuse and remained sharp, and apparently RKP doesn't make knives any longer.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
8/8/14 11:34 a.m.

I carry a Cold Steel Voyager that I've had for about 15 years. I like it because it's light and easy to carry in my pocket, and big enough for people to step back when I whip it out!

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
8/8/14 11:40 a.m.

Switchblades are now legal in TN.....just fyi.

Cone_Junkie
Cone_Junkie SuperDork
8/8/14 11:41 a.m.

I bought one of these Ken Onion Kershaw about 10 years ago. It is in my pocket 90% of the time.

Only time I've gotten grief over it was at the National Archives a couple years ago. Only because the security guard I dealt with had dainty little feminine hands. It passes the palm test on my hand and every other security guard I encountered in DC.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/8/14 11:43 a.m.

I carry an opinel now.

I'd like to get an assisted knife with a 3.25" blade(Seattle law). Any suggestions?

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
8/8/14 11:50 a.m.

I've got a couple Opinels as toolbox knives. The old cheap ones with a wood handle and ring lock.

My EDC (aren't I cool) is a Victorinox Cybertool 29. Frankly, if it had a scissors instead of the liitle knife blade, it would be utterly perfect for my needs.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UberDork
8/8/14 12:05 p.m.

Most of the time I carry a Spyderco Tenacious

If I am wearing dress pants or something then I carry a black Kershaw Ken Onion Leek

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
8/8/14 12:15 p.m.

I have enough Barlows to last a berkeleying lifetime. Uncle Joe worked in the coal mine 'magnet scrap' where they pulled any steel outta the coal on the conveyors. Still have Channellocks and crescent wrenches from back then, early 70's.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
8/8/14 12:15 p.m.

I carry a Benchmade Barrage drop point with combo blade (half-serrated). It is the most expensive knife I've ever bought (even with a killer deal) but it's worth every penny. It does everything from cutting rubber hose like butter to gutting fish. It doesn't get slippery when covered in blood (atleast catfish blood...) and it snaps open with one hand easily. Stays sharp forever.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
8/8/14 12:18 p.m.

I carry a SOG Flash II most of the time.
Good knife, works well for me (as a southpaw), arguably slightly too long a blade (for mundane EDC).
The assisted opening is slick as hell.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UberDork
8/8/14 12:22 p.m.

In reply to SnowMongoose:

If I am not carrying the Tenacious or the Leek I am carrying my SOG Flash II as well. Though mine has the tiger stripe blade like this one. In reality I have about 40+ pocket knives

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/8/14 12:27 p.m.

I also still have the first multi-tool I ever bought. It is a Gerber 500 series. It's alright, but the tools and blades do not lock, so I have to be careful with my fingers.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/8/14 12:28 p.m.

I carry my Gerber 06 Fast on a daily basis. It is an auto opening knife. I was also issued a SOG Trident. Both are great but I prefer the SOG since it is lighter.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Dork
8/8/14 12:32 p.m.

I need to learn pic-fu to show off more stuff.....

I carry a Kershaw speedsafe tanto tip half serrated blade. It was $20 at wallyworld. I tried carrying a high dollar benchmade a few years back but hesitated to really USE it when the time came. My feeling is that a knife should be abusable and not hurt my feelings if I destroy or loss it. My threshold for that is about $20. Same one I have for sunglasses. $125 ray bans last me a week and I get sad when I crush them. Drug store specials last me more than a year and are disposable.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
8/8/14 12:44 p.m.

Ive carried the smallest, cheapest, non llocking, single bladed buck for the past twenty years. Fits in the lighter pocket with my lighter. Does all I need. Usually about ten bucks.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
8/8/14 12:52 p.m.

Swiss army in the pocket (philips head, bottle and can opener and two blades) and a Cutco serrated lock-back on clip clipped to the top of the pocket on my pants.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
8/8/14 12:57 p.m.

Original full sized Gerber EZ Out partial serrated, not the Jr. not the Skeleton. I've carried this almost daily for going on 16 years.

I got a CRKT Drifter as a groomsman gift several years ago, I carried it for 6 months or so, but eventually went back to my Gerber.

I've got a few different Swiss Army knives, a couple old Buck folding pocket knives, and a mini Letherman, but the only one that's on me 95% of the time I'm dressed is my Gerber.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
8/8/14 1:00 p.m.

Kershaw Vapor for EDC:

I don't like serrated blades or half serrated, whatever, for my "tool" knife.

As I hotlinked previously, this is my latest purchase:

which Dawson sells as a Pocket Knife. It does fit in your pocket in the hard sheath. http://www.dawsonknives.com/pocket-knife.html

It is very handy.

Fueled by Caffeine
8/8/14 1:11 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: As I hotlinked previously, this is my latest purchase:

Hot Damn that is nice. As a guy who just assembled his first fixed blade knife kit.. I am in awe of good bladesmiths.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/8/14 1:47 p.m.

Don't carry a pocketknife too often anymore, but usually have a small Leatherman on me. I need screwdrivers and pliers as often as I need a blade.

I was in Lowe's of all places and they had generic folders with a black Tanto-style blade for $10. They are rugged, scary-looking and sharp, so one went into every car. I may upgrade to somehting like this for the new car:

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
8/8/14 1:59 p.m.

I usually have at least 2 blades on me, but right now I'm bladeless. Daily I have a Swiss Army Tinker ( the MacGuyver classic) which is currently lost in my shop somewhere, and a Ken Onion Cryo for a heavy duty / defense knife. It's tough as hell, not the dainty, breakable tip like the Leek (which is nicer looking.) I like the feel and opening of the Cryo, but right now it's got a broken pocket clip and I haven't sent it off for repair yet. I do have three dislikes about the Cryo 1- for the weight, it should have a longer blade 2 - Although it takes a good edge easily, it also loses it quickly 3 - It's just not a nice looking knife to me. It does open really nicely, I like the frame lock, and it will cut a beer can in half easily.

The swiss army knife ( only Victorinox, never Wenger) - well, what can you say? Light, versatile, holds an edge like a demon. I wish the long lade would lock open.

EDIT - Oh, for cheap knives that are simply amazing - Mora is the only name you need. Best value on the planet. Cheap enough it won't break your heart to lose it but so good it might anyway. I have one of their thick blade carbon outdoor knives and I would carry it all the time if it didn't make my bosses squeamish. If they made folding knives I would never buy from another maker.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
8/8/14 2:01 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Kershaw Vapor for EDC: I don't like serrated blades or half serrated, whatever, for my "tool" knife. As I hotlinked previously, this is my latest purchase: which Dawson sells as a Pocket Knife. It does fit in your pocket in the hard sheath. http://www.dawsonknives.com/pocket-knife.html It is very handy.

nice knife … but at $215 odds are I won't be getting one anytime soon

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
8/8/14 2:25 p.m.

Yeah, it was a bit pricey, but I think I gave like $140 for it at the big Tulsa gun show (on sale today only, show special, repeat customer discount, super good-guy-deal....) I wanted something for skinning, in case the coons give me more trouble. One of the Dawson nephews was there selling knives, swords, etc. He said they were having trouble finding quality steel these days. They didn't like the powdered steel stuff, knife quality stainless costs have gone through the roof, which makes the retail prices too high. That's why they went to a carbon steel like this one, and I think they are using Japanese steel as a source.

Fueled by Caffeine
8/8/14 2:27 p.m.

maybe I've never had a "good" stainless knife, but I've never been able to get them to take a good edge and then hold it. carbon no problem.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
8/8/14 2:33 p.m.

My last Dawson 99, which was stolen from me, I had my friend sharpen on his wheel. It was so sharp that I went into his bathroom and shaved with it. That is, it was as sharp as my straight razor. That was a stainless blade of whatever stainless he used to make them out of that got to be too expensive for regular retail sales.

1 2 3 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
L9cpoLIdXfNeMVK1wdXyswaSMFR3tFRSTS0WWM86nRUyUEvfpwQnFinh1G5PzTsM