1 2 3
mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
1/19/20 7:22 p.m.

1) Wife wants me to repaint fences, and deck. Someone suggested marine varnish. Never painted fences before. Anything I should know before starting ? 

2) friend suggested sanding the deck first 

3) brick - any thoughts on brick paint ? We have old bricks she wants face lift . Outdoors 

4) pressure washer rents $100 a day. I need it a few days. Wife says to buy one. Any thoughts on what to buy? 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/19/20 7:45 p.m.

Pressure washer will rise the grain on wood, drive water into it, and spall the surface of the brick.  

Stain the fence, because unless you make it out of plastic, the paint will peel.  Stain in a clear coating can just be topped up, solid colors can be wire brushed and recoated.

Sand the deck, or use a deck wash.

If you paint brick, you now have to paint it for the rest of your life.

Pressure washers are not nearly as much help as you might think.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
1/19/20 7:49 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

1) Wife wants me to repaint fences, and deck. Someone suggested marine varnish. Never painted fences before. Anything I should know before starting ? 

3) brick - any thoughts on brick paint ? We have old bricks she wants face lift . Outdoors 

4) pressure washer rents $100 a day. I need it a few days. Wife says to buy one. Any thoughts on what to buy? 

4)  Anything gas powered off CL that runs, then sell it when you are done.

1 & 2, use a very wide nozzle and stay back.  A pressure washer will easily blow the soft parts of the wood right out.

Also 1, staining a fence takes a very, very long time.  Very.

Alternate solution:  just hire someone to do the pressure washing.  I just sold my pressure washer and decided to go this route from now on.  I don't need to deal with the thing, I get my garage space back, and pressure washing sucks.  Services are surprisingly affordable.

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/19/20 8:18 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Also if it is on the exterior of the house, the outer 1/8" to 1/4" of various bricks will pop off in large pieces or entire bricks leaving brick colored spots.  Growing up our neighbor painted his brick house white and every year there were a couple of dozen brick red bricks due to the outer surface popping off.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/19/20 8:33 p.m.

I'll be the guy who says go buy a pressure washer. I have two, and I love them. There's something deeply satisfying about cleaning years of grime off something by waving a wand over it. It's the kind of thing you never knew there was so many uses for until you have one. My first one is a Honda gas-powered unit I got at Lowes Depot for around $300 about 10 years ago. My newer one is an electric SunJoe that I got from Amazon for lighter work when I don't want to deal with the noise and trouble of the gas one.

Also, I've washed our deck at least 5-6 times with ours. You just have to be careful not to damage the wood, it's not that difficult, IMO. My usual procedure is to wash the deck, let it dry for a couple of days in hot summer weather, then stain it with Cabot deck stain. This summer our deck will be 21 years old, and it still looks great and is rock solid.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
1/19/20 8:39 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Pressure washer will rise the grain on wood, drive water into it, and spall the surface of the brick.  

Stain the fence, because unless you make it out of plastic, the paint will peel.  Stain in a clear coating can just be topped up, solid colors can be wire brushed and recoated.

Fence is Cedar. It is dark now. Will take some pictures tomorrow, and post. I appreciate the help. Stain is what I wanted to do. Hand stain will take weeks due to size, but what else I am to do. 

I plan to sand the deck tomorrow. 

I dont want to paint brick. What other options do we have?

I agree with not needing a pressure washer but wifes freaking pintrest or wahtever the hell she looks at, everything says pressure wash first. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
1/19/20 8:40 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
mr2s2000elise said:

4)  Anything gas powered off CL that runs, then sell it when you are done.

1 & 2, use a very wide nozzle and stay back.  A pressure washer will easily blow the soft parts of the wood right out.

Also 1, staining a fence takes a very, very long time.  Very.

Alternate solution:  just hire someone to do the pressure washing.  I just sold my pressure washer and decided to go this route from now on.  I don't need to deal with the thing, I get my garage space back, and pressure washing sucks.  Services are surprisingly affordable.

CL  for pressure washer. Thats ag reat idea. Thanks!!

Yes staining it may take a few weeks. what other alternative do i have? i guess i can hire people do help?

I will look into the pressure washer service. I dont need it, and i dont care to waste space owning it. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
1/19/20 8:41 p.m.
secretariata said:
Streetwiseguy said:

Also if it is on the exterior of the house, the outer 1/8" to 1/4" of various bricks will pop off in large pieces or entire bricks leaving brick colored spots.  Growing up our neighbor painted his brick house white and every year there were a couple of dozen brick red bricks due to the outer surface popping off.

I will post pics tomorrow. They are bricks outlining all the planters, and they are faded red. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
1/19/20 8:43 p.m.
Tom_Spangler said:

I'll be the guy who says go buy a pressure washer. I have two, and I love them. There's something deeply satisfying about cleaning years of grime off something by waving a wand over it. It's the kind of thing you never knew there was so many uses for until you have one. My first one is a Honda gas-powered unit I got at Lowes Depot for around $300 about 10 years ago. My newer one is an electric SunJoe that I got from Amazon for lighter work when I don't want to deal with the noise and trouble of the gas one.

Also, I've washed our deck at least 5-6 times with ours. You just have to be careful not to damage the wood, it's not that difficult, IMO. My usual procedure is to wash the deck, let it dry for a couple of days in hot summer weather, then stain it with Cabot deck stain. This summer our deck will be 21 years old, and it still looks great and is rock solid.

My two friends who own pressure washer (sadly live too far from me), said it is life changing and i NEED to buy one. Told me get a honda motor one. $350. 

I will look into cabot deck stain.  I stained it 4 years ago (hot sun here), and its bad shape now. Myf riends said I didn't sand it, thus mine looks like that. Also told me to use Marine Varnish instead of wood stain. Said its $50 for bucket or whatever. Have to go to home depot and look.

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
1/19/20 8:55 p.m.

The trouble with having a pressure washer is that you can't stop.  Instant gratification wherever you waive it.  You just keep cleaning stuff: floor mats, engine bays, wheels, siding, sidewalks, trailer floors, decking, docks, the driveway, walkways, basically everything but pets and people and plants. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
1/19/20 9:00 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

Fence is Cedar. It is dark now. Will take some pictures tomorrow, and post. I appreciate the help. Stain is what I wanted to do. Hand stain will take weeks due to size, but what else I am to do. 

Is the stain for protection?  Is it necessary on a cedar fence?  FWIW, a clear stain doesn't do much and wears off quickly.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
1/19/20 9:26 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
mr2s2000elise said:

Is the stain for protection?  Is it necessary on a cedar fence?  FWIW, a clear stain doesn't do much and wears off quickly.

Some discoloration it seems in places 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
1/19/20 9:27 p.m.
Sonic said:

The trouble with having a pressure washer is that you can't stop.  Instant gratification wherever you waive it.  You just keep cleaning stuff: floor mats, engine bays, wheels, siding, sidewalks, trailer floors, decking, docks, the driveway, walkways, basically everything but pets and people and plants. 

Is this a good thing or bad thing ? Hah!

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/19/20 10:36 p.m.

Cedar sheds stain like a Rain-x windsheild sheds water.  There are cleaners to bring back the color, but trying to get anything to stick to cedar is a fools errand.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
1/19/20 10:46 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Cedar sheds stain like a Rain-x windsheild sheds water.  There are cleaners to bring back the color, but trying to get anything to stick to cedar is a fools errand.

Hmm. To be honest, my neighbor said its cedar. I have no clue. How does one tell what type of wood it is?

Curtis73
Curtis73 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/20/20 12:06 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Quoting this for truth.  Don't pressure wash the wood.  You'll either rip the softer whitewood parts out or you'll just make it a pincushion.  Instead, rent a square sander.  Not a floor sander, not a drum sander.  It's an orbital sander with a plate about 15" x 18".  That's your ticket.

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
1/20/20 5:14 a.m.

Sprayers are worth the cost. If it's not something you'd use often, pick up a cheap one for under $20 at Harbor Freight, or rent an airless one for a weekend.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/20/20 9:47 a.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
Streetwiseguy said:

Hmm. To be honest, my neighbor said its cedar. I have no clue. How does one tell what type of wood it is?

Ask an expert, but generally it has a red hue that fades to gray, and when you sand it, it smells like cedar. 

An environmentally unfriendly, but reliable and bug repellant coating for cedar is automatic transmission fluid.  A friend did his cabin with cedar 30+ years ago, up in the boreal forest, and he sprays it with atf every few years.  No bugs eating it yet, but there's no neighbors to figure out what you are using. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/20/20 9:55 a.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

they're really helpful with vinyl siding and composite decks. cheeky

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/20/20 10:52 a.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

they're really helpful with vinyl siding and composite decks. cheeky

Very true.  I wash my tupperware house every summer.

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
1/20/20 1:11 p.m.

In reply to STM317 :

Just make sure you know what's behind it and how far overspray can travel. I've seen some pretty amusing outcomes when your car is behind it.

HazardFraught sells a HVLP airless sprayer that has pretty good reviews for like $100 with coupon. It seems to yeild pretty good results.

Looks like they have some new ones too.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
1/20/20 1:31 p.m.

Pictures so you guys can help me

1) this is deck I have to sand and marine varnish ? 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
1/20/20 1:33 p.m.

Picture 2 

This is the brick she wants to brick back to life

volume

wise there is 4x these bricks all over the house 

same shape 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
1/20/20 1:34 p.m.

picture 3 . Here is fence, not sure cedar

or not 

here is the fence in question. First pic is the good area 

second pic is "bad area"

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
1/20/20 1:35 p.m.

last picture 

this is wooden shed. Also need to stain . 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zD05SqDg8agqZo58BsqyC1podBw4VMvAN7ld2IsINKuDksLkCKGQNLrYH3IUIx2c