Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/10/22 9:07 p.m.

I did it. I bought an EV. 

1500 watts of awesome power. 

Claimed 100+ miles of range if you buy their extra battery. 

Top speed of 28 mph. 

Yeah, as usual with me, it's not a car. 

It's a Biketrix Juggernaut Ultra Duo 3. Bought to encourage me to get outside and at least do some moving. I've put about 10 miles on it so far. It seems to be a pretty decent rig. After reading Curtis's bike thread I went with the 1500-watt mid-drive to help haul my fat ass around. Honestly, it almost has too much power. I have been riding it with the assist turned all the way down.

There are some trails through the national forest that I would like to ride. This will make that possible and I can carry some gear to camp on them when necessary. I will probably pick up their 21 ah battery at some point to get the extra range capability. 

20220503_171401_HDR.jpg

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
5/10/22 9:35 p.m.

I just don't even know you anymore.  

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/10/22 9:36 p.m.

Neat!

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
5/10/22 11:29 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

That's really cool. 1500 watts would really hustle that thing. 

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/11/22 12:43 a.m.

You didn’t go for the XD?

https://www.xd.biktrix.com

Now for the question of the day. What does Toymans bike have in common with Streetwiseguy?

Both from Saskatoon.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/11/22 1:14 a.m.

Toyman!
5/11/22 7:48 a.m.

In reply to Rons :

I wanted the Duo to have the ability to run two batteries. The longest leg of the Palmetto Trail is 47 miles. The extra battery would be helpful. 

Toyman!
5/11/22 7:52 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

It's limited to 28 mph. If you turn off the limiter some people say it will hit 40+. Not gonna happen with me on it. I'm old enough to know how much mortality hurts. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
5/11/22 9:44 a.m.

Nice bike. I love the potential for e-bikes to get people out on bikes.

Make sure e-bikes are allowed in the national forest. Most places they are not and you can get slapped with a fairly good fine if caught.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/11/22 9:59 a.m.

That looks like a great bike  

I saw a YouTube vid a couple days ago of 2 guys exploring old mines in the southwest. They were riding a pair of ebikes that looked like a cross between a downhill mtb and a small motocross bike. They looked like a ton of fun, but I'm afraid I'd try to channel my inner Evel Knievel(or maybe Super Dave Osbourne is more accurate) and inflict some permanent injuries upon myself.  

Toyman!
5/11/22 10:40 a.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic :

The NFS website says they are allowed on any trail that allows motorized travel. That includes all the service roads. The Palmetto Trail allows bikes. The Ebike may be a gray area in the national forest section of the Palmetto Trail, but a large portion of the trail doesn't run through the forest. Of the 380 miles of trail, only about 70-80 of them are in national forests. 

The National Park Service is allowing e-bikes on bike trails as long as they are class 1 or 2. The programming in mine lets me limit motor wattage to comply with class 1, 2, and 3. 

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
5/11/22 12:25 p.m.

Those are super cool.  There is so much cool stuff happening with the battery powered personal transport.  My brother has a one wheeler that is downright frightening at 20mph.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/11/22 12:33 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Pardon me, but don't you already own an electric vehicle?wink

Toyman!
5/11/22 12:45 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

You know, I believe you are correct. It needs batteries and doesn't do much for making the body move.

Edit to add: I always feel like the fat people on Wall-E when I'm riding it. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
5/11/22 1:59 p.m.
Toyman! said:

In reply to 93EXCivic :

The National Park Service is allowing e-bikes on bike trails as long as they are class 1 or 2. The programming in mine lets me limit motor wattage to comply with class 1, 2, and 3. 

My understanding is that the National Park Service allow e-bikes in general but the local superintendent of the park may decide not to allow them so it is depends park to park.

And with the national forest I am pretty sure it is only motorized trails. I have heard of people getting busted and fined on non-motorized trails with e-bikes.

Toyman!
5/11/22 2:57 p.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic :

Correct.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/11/22 4:54 p.m.

I just spent a week in NYC and some of my best times were spent riding Citibike (a sharing platform) around the place. I'd basically ride a standard bike till my old muscles complained and then switch over to one of their E-assist bikes. VERY NICE! Theirs is set up with the combination of a CVT and an assist that varies depending on how much you push. So going up a hill or from a stop you feel like Superman as you wisk away, but once you are maintaining speed on the level you scarecely know the thing is on.  I'm not ready to make the switch, but I am more understanding of the appeal.

Out of curiosity, how much does yours weigh? 

Toyman!
5/11/22 5:00 p.m.

In reply to Kreb (Forum Supporter) :

IIRC, it is 70 pounds. Not exactly light.

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/12/22 12:38 p.m.

Cool! I want to test ride one of these things. My wife has 4 bikes including a fat tire bike and Im sure this is next. My least favorite part about going up mountains while mountain biking is using my legs. 

szeis4cookie (Forum Supporter)
szeis4cookie (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/12/22 5:12 p.m.
Kreb (Forum Supporter) said:

I just spent a week in NYC and some of my best times were spent riding Citibike (a sharing platform) around the place. I'd basically ride a standard bike till my old muscles complained and then switch over to one of their E-assist bikes. VERY NICE! Theirs is set up with the combination of a CVT and an assist that varies depending on how much you push. So going up a hill or from a stop you feel like Superman as you wisk away, but once you are maintaining speed on the level you scarecely know the thing is on.  I'm not ready to make the switch, but I am more understanding of the appeal.

Out of curiosity, how much does yours weigh? 

I rode a similar bike in Chicago and that was my gateway drug. A few months later, I found myself installing a conversion kit on my bike. Most expensive bike share ride ever. 

Turboeric
Turboeric GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/12/22 6:12 p.m.

Since the bike is powered by the electric motor and the meat motor, it's technically a plug in hybrid!

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/12/22 7:28 p.m.

Tires look meaty enough to be able to handle riding out to the wood chopping spot as well. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rPTwi0ovdsO725KtkeT00ix2Vjph7Sj04jo4s3BpZRsAYGZcZgawHJT7CpLOzLEN