BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/5/23 8:27 p.m.

Not really a *motorsports* question, hence the off topic. I vaguely remember we have a couple of members who own X1/9s - I know these have considerably more luggage space than a Miata, but it's been forever and three days since I owned one. DAK if the frunk on these is big enough to hold a carry-on suitcase?

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Reader
2/5/23 8:44 p.m.

To quote Motortrend "and two trunks, one in the rear and one in the front. The latter trunk was large enough to carry a weekend's worth of luggage or the X1/9's removable Targa-style roof panel." 

I do not know if that helps.

BoxheadTim
2/5/23 8:50 p.m.

In reply to MyMiatas :

I'm aware of the article, and I've owned a couple of X/19s in the past. They're actually not quite correct, you can put luggage into the frunk even with the targa roof in. I just can't remember if the frunk is tall enough to hold a standard carry on sized bag, and I don't know anybody local to me who owns one of them to go check.

According to the Interwebz (which we know are always correct ), an X1/9 has around 9 cu ft luggage capacity and an NB Miata a bit over 5, which would be a substantial advantage if one were to road trip an X1/9.

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Reader
2/5/23 8:52 p.m.

Are you going to borrow one?

BoxheadTim
2/5/23 8:55 p.m.

In reply to MyMiatas :

I'm considering buying one, but both cars I've got my eyes on are > 5h away so I want to double check if it would meet my other half's luggage requirements before setting out on a very long driving day that might be a total waste of time.

Autovelox
Autovelox New Reader
2/5/23 9:08 p.m.

Yes.  I called my son who stuck his carry on bag into his project car and snapped a photo.  He says it fits with a few inches to spare, and it appears that the targa top would fit as well.

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Reader
2/5/23 9:43 p.m.

Man! It looks like your son has the right idea about how to restore a car! Doors braced and on a rotisserie! 

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
2/6/23 7:33 a.m.

Plenty of luggage space in the X1/9. Both trunks are very useful. The photo above shows the frunk, which will swallow plenty and still allow the targa top to sit on top of it all. The rear trunk isn't super deep (maybe 10" or so IIRC) but is the width of the car. The engineers at Pontiac learned nothing from this car when they designed the Fiero.

BoxheadTim
2/6/23 7:50 a.m.
Autovelox said:

Yes.  I called my son who stuck his carry on bag into his project car and snapped a photo.  He says it fits with a few inches to spare, and it appears that the targa top would fit as well.

Thank you and your son very, very much!

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
2/6/23 7:55 a.m.

Rear trunk is wide but shallow. Great for backpacks, laptop cases, briefcases, and such.

Frunk is very square. Lots of volume, but not tons of length in any direction. The quasi-exception is that it is designed to hold the top in there, so you get a lot of long but shallow space for that. It goes over the nose. The bonus is, you can actually have luggage up front *and* take the top off.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
2/6/23 9:01 p.m.

I did 9 days on the road in my X1/9 in October. Clean clothes every day and no laundromat stops. The rear trunk should not be used for anything that can be heat damaged in more than 20 minutes at 125 F.  No pic of the load, but I also carried a spare alternator, throttle sensor, tools.....Photo is 900 miles from home.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
2/6/23 9:05 p.m.

Do you fit the driving position?? Leg room is on the short side. I am only 5'10"/32" inseam and I have the seat all the way back...

BoxheadTim
2/8/23 10:49 a.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

I used to. I'm pretty sure I've only grown in width since, and I do have to have the seat all the way back also. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ito50C6mBhsNCSJUWRvygPM5vGMXUcs8SEB0tS55R6sufGdH8121voAT4sMoyZbs