1 2 3 ... 5
DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
5/1/11 9:53 p.m.

Just about everyone here shaves something, right? Well, what do you use? I have used electrics, from cheapies to what I'd consider middle of the line electrics. I've used disposables, from the very cheap bag-o-razors for a few bucks (wouldn't wish that on a GM bean counter) to the expensive ones. I'm sick of dumping money down the drain on replacements heads, whether it be electric or disposable so I'm thinking about using a safety razor (as I don't have the cajones, or life insurance to use a straight razor) and was looking for input from you folks.
What do you use and how do you like it. I'm especially interested in hearing from those who use the old fashioned safety razors.

Thanks again all.

NGTD
NGTD HalfDork
5/1/11 9:55 p.m.

I have been using a Phillips electric for over a decade now. Different models over the years, but the same basic idea.

Last time I used a razor I cut the E36 M3 out of my face.

I wouldn't go back.

Grizz
Grizz New Reader
5/1/11 9:56 p.m.

I use some random brand electric trimmy deal, as I don't shave most of my face.

pigeon
pigeon Dork
5/1/11 9:57 p.m.

For once the search actually worked:

Shaving thread from June 2010

mrhappy
mrhappy Reader
5/1/11 9:59 p.m.

I have two old gillette razors. I like it. I get a better shave that is more comfortable. Its a little bit of a learning curve but its fairly quick to pick up. Get on you tube and look up mantic59

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
5/1/11 10:00 p.m.

I use the cheap Bic razors. They last a long time for me, maybe I just have tough skin.

MitchellC
MitchellC Dork
5/1/11 10:20 p.m.

I also despise spending lots of money on overpriced worthless pieces of disposable crap. Last fall, I finally got a double edged razor. I got a generic razor for $6 and a generic shaving brush for $4 from a beauty/barber supply store. I got a ten-pack of razors and shaving soap for $4 or $5 combined from Wal-Mart. I use an old take-out container as a shaving bowl.

Some people are obsessed with super expensive blades and such, but I just wanted to save money. If I were to do it again, I would just spend a few extra bucks, but save precious time by buying the three following items:

Razor

Blades

Bowl/brush/soap

Order these three things and don't about buying razors for a few years, and soap for maybe six months. After you bring the soap to a lather in the bowl, just let the remaining evaporate. Add water and you'll get a second day out of it.

After shaving with a Mach3 since I was an early teen, it took a while (and a few awesome cuts) to get used to the older-fashioned razor. The soap is way better than any aerosol stuff that I have used, and the shave isn't irritating, but also not as close as a multi-blade razor.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Reader
5/1/11 10:35 p.m.

I've had luck with cheapo disposables, I get 6 razors for $5 and it lasts me 2-3 months.

I also have an expensive Braun Electric with the self cleaning stand. It's awesome, but it's novelty has worn off on me. Also, a 2-pack of the cleaning solution is about $20 which is ridiculous. The razor itself is nice for travel.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/1/11 10:44 p.m.

Norelco for me during the week. Special occasions I'll pull out a blade for a better shave. Bic throwaways. A bag of them will last me close to a year. I change the Norelco blades every 18-24 months.

I bought one of those high dollar blade razors and hated it. It gave a super close shave, but also took the top two layers of skin with it. The replacement blades were also stupid expensive.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
5/1/11 10:53 p.m.

The electrics (I've tried Remington and Norelco) don't work for me. I seriously have to spend about 10 minutes to make sure that I get a close shave and that I get everything.

I just bought a pack of the cheapo 3 blade disposables that will work for a week until I go back home and can steal the good stuff from dad. If you really want a good shave, get a straight razor. I'm too lazy though.

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
5/1/11 11:00 p.m.

Wow people. I read that you guys buy a bag of the cheapo Bic and they last months!? If I buy a cheapo bic, I get MAYBE 3 uses out of it, and those three uses are pure hell. I was reading on a forum for safety blade (or double edge) freaks (yes, there are forums dedicated, and quite active too). They were talking about the virtues of these different brands and I just got corn-fused.
Thanks Pigeon, I knew there was a thread but couldn't find it.

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
5/1/11 11:00 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: I bought one of those high dollar blade razors and hated it. It gave a super close shave, but also took the top two layers of skin with it. The replacement blades were also stupid expensive.

Aren't double-edge blades adjustable?

mtn
mtn SuperDork
5/1/11 11:02 p.m.
DrBoost wrote: Wow people. I read that you guys buy a bag of the cheapo Bic and they last months!?

Bag lasts me a month, but I don't shave everyday because I'm in college. If I did, I would never get them. They are awful, and would last about 4 shavings each.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
5/1/11 11:03 p.m.
mtn wrote:
DrBoost wrote: Wow people. I read that you guys buy a bag of the cheapo Bic and they last months!?
Bag lasts me a month, but I don't shave everyday because I'm in college. If I did, I would never get them. They are awful, and would last about 4 shavings each.

Oh, and I don't actually get the bics. I take a step up from those. I think I got walgreens brand 3 blades.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver Dork
5/1/11 11:26 p.m.

I've had a Norelco for 20ish years. I should just throw it out. I'd use it for a few weeks, grow tired of the lousy shave it gives and go back to razors - whatever the clearance-du-jour my wife picks up at work (Walgreen's). I've replaced the heads on it, but it still sucks. I know the collective doesn't agree with the high dollar, multi-blade type razors, but damn, the current Gillette 5 blade shaves berklying close and I find it very easy on my skin. I've thought about asking Pop if he's got an old double edge shaver, to give it a try, based on the raves in the previously linked thread.

Ranger50
Ranger50 HalfDork
5/2/11 5:21 a.m.

After reading the shaving thread, I asked for and received a new Merkur razor for Christmas. I'm still only on the 2nd blade and with the soap and brush, am out of the bathroom in less time then the fancy or disposable razors I used to use.

Electrics are good for ripping my face off no matter what I do and I couldn't stand spending upwards of $10/4pk for refills.

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
5/2/11 5:32 a.m.

Ranger, how's that Merkur on your face? I've never shaved with a double-edge. Any tips or tricks?

failboat
failboat Reader
5/2/11 7:25 a.m.

Based on the previous shaving thread I decided to give the cheap disposable bic razors a shot, and subsequently cut the E36 M3 out of myself. Not for me I suppose.

I'll stick with the mach 3 razors I have been using forever. yes, they are expensive, but based on the advice in the previous thread about shaving AFTER my morning shower, and drying the blade after every use, I can make 1 blade last for months, which is awesome. At the very least a 4 pack of blades will last me a year or more now.

I had an electric once and did not like it one bit.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill SuperDork
5/2/11 7:26 a.m.

I pretty much only use a Gillette twin blade disposable. I cannot tolerate a Bic or Shick razor.

While I like the super duper Mach III etc, they are stupid expensive.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
5/2/11 7:50 a.m.

Gillette Mach 3 or whatever their current thing is. And I use it to shave my head so it gets a workout.

I can get 3-6 months out of a single cartridge.

The key, as mentioned above, is to dry the darn thing off after use. Water is death to razor blades. I went from getting 2-3 weeks to 3-6 months out of a cartridge just by drying it off after use.

And as far as soaps, foams, whatever. I dry shave (by dry I mean water no lotions or whatever, actual dry shaving is evil). Drives my wife nuts but never saw the need for anything else. And use cold water while shaving, it's better for the blades.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
5/2/11 8:08 a.m.

I haven't kept records but I can get a month or more out of a single disposable. As said above, wash and dry them after every use and they'll last a long time.

PubBurgers
PubBurgers Dork
5/2/11 8:09 a.m.

I go for the combo of cheapo electric trimmer followed by one of the absurd four or five blade razors. You can get them for free with the right coupon/sale combination.

integraguy
integraguy Dork
5/2/11 8:13 a.m.

My experiences with disposables is mixed. As one or two others here have noted, they "may" last for 8 or 9 shaves, but really, don't you only get 2 or 3 decent shaves out of them? The first one or two, you nearly shred your face, me it's always the chin, and the last 2 or 3 the shave seems to last 4 or 5 hours instead of 7....maybe 8 hour.

When I went to boot camp in the early '70s, I was told that there would be no room in my locker for a can of shaving creme and that I would have to get a TUBE of shaving creme. Yep, shaving creme used come in tubes like toothpaste....and it went on about as well as toothpaste. The really bad part though was how bad it clogged your razor unless you had access to water that was nearly boiling.

I got my Dad an electric because with his arthritis he has difficulty closing his fingers around things like pens, silverware, and I assumed a razor blade's handle. But like most older/elderly folks, he didn't want to give that "new fangled electronic stuff" (not really his words...more like my Mom's) a try and it "disappeared".

I never tried an electric, but was tempted to after that original thread on the topic.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/2/11 8:39 a.m.

Mach 3 for head and face. I recently tried the Meijer brand generic mach 3 copy and it sucked. didn't get nearly as close and lasted half as long.

per the advice above, I will start using cold water and drying the razor after use. i'm currently getting one head and one face shave per cartridge, which is pretty expensive.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/2/11 8:48 a.m.
DrBoost wrote:
Toyman01 wrote: I bought one of those high dollar blade razors and hated it. It gave a super close shave, but also took the top two layers of skin with it. The replacement blades were also stupid expensive.
Aren't double-edge blades adjustable?

Expensive means Gillette Mach 536.9 or whatever number they are on at the moment. They'll give you the razor, but the refills are damn near $6.00 each and they don't last any better than a single blade Bic or shave any closer without peeling my skin. I end up with razor rash for days. For every day use I use the Norelco. It isn't the best shave in the world, but quick and painless. If I need a real close shave, Bic disposable single blades do the job for me. I only use them maybe once a week so a $8.00 bag of 12 lasts forever. I've never tried a Safety Razor. Might have to now that y'all have brought it up.

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
j0yaSQr0q5Z55trQYe66JXAwPXg6kFPH8qBeLIw4Lo10RvAoGVrumFExgnNNQsV0