1 2 3 4 5
HiTempguy
HiTempguy Dork
5/5/11 1:06 a.m.
DrBoost wrote: I just started typing something rather off-color. Then, for the first time in my life I thought about it first and typed this instead. Are you guys proud of me?

Son, I am dissapoint.

You make it sound like we come here for ON color humour

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
5/5/11 5:23 a.m.

Stropped Mach III.

I did start with a new one again back in January. The old one got mangled by my son shaving the soap bars (he bent the blades). That one was almost a full year old.

Stropping works. Nothing fancier than running it backwards up your forearm a few times before you shave.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/5/11 8:42 a.m.

I shave with a sharpened fan blade off a '67 El Camino. Man up dude!

internetautomart
internetautomart SuperDork
5/5/11 8:47 a.m.

when i shave fully i use a norelco, other than that i use a trimmer to keep the beardstache from becoming too long

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid Dork
5/5/11 10:06 p.m.

i use a mach 3 for years and my blades last some time...but then again i only shave about once a week anyway so i get some more time out of things then anyone else it seems.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
5/6/11 12:44 a.m.

I have a friend who switched to using a strait razor. His explanation: "There is nothing more manly than shaving with an implement that can kill you."

I use a cheap electric, and having a goatee and sideburns distracts from at least 2 days of stubble.

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
5/6/11 4:51 p.m.

Well, my Merkur set came in the mail today. So far, I really like it. I'm not cut, my face doesn't burn at all and I feel like a man. A man with a smooth baby face, but a man non-the-less.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Dork
5/6/11 11:59 p.m.
Salanis wrote: having a goatee and sideburns distracts from at least 2 days of stubble.

Damn dirty hippies

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
5/7/11 6:08 a.m.

Wow, I really like it. I don't have to apply any pressure and it just removes the stubble. With one of those mach blah blah blah razors I have to shave twice and still don't get this close. After shaving my wife touched my face and couldn't believe how close the shave was. Best $100 I've spend in a long time. BTW, $100 got me the razor, stand, mug for the shave cream, shave cream and an assortment of 4 different blades to try.

stroker
stroker UltraDork
7/9/17 7:29 p.m.

I was tired of the disposable Schicks I was buying being brand new and dull. Finally broke down and got a safety razor for $18 at Target. It didn't shave as closely as I'd hoped and I wish the handle was longer, but I'll try it for a while...

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
7/9/17 7:40 p.m.

I found that my safety razors really like the newer shaving gel or the old school cake and brush lather, but not regular shaving cream. Also, the old school cake and brush lather is lighter and significantly easier to clean off or out of the newer million blade razors.

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
7/9/17 7:51 p.m.

This floated back to the top eh?

In reply to stroker:

Merkur 23C (long handle), a box of Feather razors, and Mitchell's wool fat soap is what you want.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/17 8:35 p.m.

Shave every weekday, get a long time per Mach 3 blade. I use them until the goo strip is long gone, and then a few weeks after that, so maybe 6-8 weeks although it does vary. I started on the blade I'm using now sometime in January. Absolutely rinse and dry before putting away.

I was gifted some shaving gel and after a slight learning curve, I'm sold on it.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
7/9/17 8:50 p.m.

I use the 5 blade cartridge from Harry's dot com. They are economical and I get about a month out of them. I used to use a Mach3 Turbo (BOOST, y0) and strop it both on my arm and on a razor strop. The Harry's are easier and cheaper.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/17 9:15 p.m.

I like Harry's. I started using them earlier this year. My only complaint was how light the handle felt. An all metal handle from either Harry's or from a company licensed to produce them from Harry's took care of that.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
7/9/17 9:19 p.m.

I recently shaved off the beard and am having a hard time due to two of the unique features of my face.

One is my giant ass mole on the left side of my chin. No matter how careful I am with it I cut it every single time and it bleeds like a mofo.

The second is the deep button on my chin. It's really deep and no matter what razor I use it will not get the hairs out of there so it looks like a giant black hole in the center of my chin.

The electric razor doesn't do a great job everywhere else but it does get those two problem areas.

So I use a Mach3 for most of my face and an electric on my chin.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/9/17 9:29 p.m.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
7/9/17 9:48 p.m.

I was crossing my fingers that this thread wasn't about manscaping. Then I remembered that this is GRM and not VWVortex.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/17 9:50 p.m.
G_Body_Man wrote: I was crossing my fingers that this thread wasn't about manscaping. Then I remembered that this is GRM and not VWVortex.

we are working our way down to that

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/17 10:57 p.m.

Nutrigina shaving jell is good. A drop or three of dawn dish soap on very wet hands rubbed in to a wet face is better. Cheep disposables seem to be dull put of the package. I use what ever the three blad Gillette one is and purchas the fifty pack of refills from Costco. You end up paying less than a dollar a blade and with a little care the blade will last a couple weeks minimum and up to a month. If I am carful.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
7/9/17 11:59 p.m.
G_Body_Man wrote: I was crossing my fingers that this thread wasn't about manscaping. Then I remembered that this is GRM and not VWVortex.

Nothing wrong with that.

I've noticed a major uptick in the frequency and quality of the bj since the younger guy at work convinced me to put in a little more effort.

Did you know that your house looks bigger if you trim the bushes?

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/10/17 1:00 a.m.

I used to use the Mach 3, which put everything I tried before to shame. I was using a shave gel out of a can.

I decided to try a straight razor, and didn't like it much, but the soap was a huge improvement. After trying a few soaps, I settled on Proraso, in a hot mug with a badger brush.

That, plus the Dollar Shave Club mid-level blades, and my shaves take only a few minutes and come out perfectly.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/10/17 4:55 a.m.

Love it when then the first page of a 2011 thread is all the same nuts who post here today.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
7/10/17 10:13 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote:
Nothing wrong with that. I've noticed a major uptick in the frequency and quality of the bj since the younger guy at work convinced me to put in a little more effort. Did you know that your house looks bigger if you trim the bushes?

Frequent bj ... younger guy at work ... you had me worried for a second there.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
7/10/17 11:42 a.m.

I have some dollar shave club blades and the Dr Carver shave butter. I like them, but my beard is not much of one, lol.

Here's a hint if you run out of shaving cream: conditioner. No really, try it. Just don't use something super fruity or something weird.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
r6JeCcMggNkG3An9nudcUSPpnfb95KYHCPtdNUaSOaxGqBUxJDGTkYdutePrRbzd