nocarbud
nocarbud New Reader
7/15/08 1:19 p.m.

Ok, so I might be getting a little nervous for nothing, but I am winning, and don't know what to tell the wife! I've got 3 projects at my house, and 2 more at another location... How do I smooth things over in case I come out on top in this auction?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=&item=190235651507

BBsGarage
BBsGarage Reader
7/15/08 1:24 p.m.

you can give me 1 of your other projects

I know, not very helpful, but good luck with that.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/15/08 1:31 p.m.

So nocarbud is SIXcarbud?

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
7/15/08 1:42 p.m.

Gift certificate to a shoe store?

I've found a gift certificate for a massage goes a long way, personally.

It's funny, the wife (we're separated, actually) has finally started to get it. A car was parked on the street the other day in front of our house. It was the neighbor across the street who recently got a "new" car that looked a whole lot like the sort of thing I'd bring home.

She asked simply, "is that your car?"

I said, "No...but it very well could be."

She said, "I know, that's why I asked..."

She finally understands that it doesn't do her any good to get worked up over my purchase of random vehicles. That's a part of my life she'd rather not be involved in (and with how she is when she IS involved in that aspect...I'd just as soon not have her involved either).

Seriously though...you might want to not bid anymore if this is going to be a big deal...

I'm not one to talk with 4 cars, 2 bikes, 2 boats (human powered) at my house, two cars on a vacant lot nearby, several cars and a trailer at one friend's and a couple at another friend's...

Clem

nocarbud
nocarbud New Reader
7/15/08 1:44 p.m.

Yeah, funny how that changes... I'm thinking if I win I could hide it at dear old mom and dad's for a little while. buy some time for a little cleaning out of the garage!

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports New Reader
7/15/08 2:56 p.m.

I have one project and one in waiting with 5 cars total at the house.

My wife would prefer 3 cars; her car, my car, and a project.

My wife has less problem with cars at the house than my parents do. Wouldn't be able to hide anything at my parents.

Good luck. (I guess)

914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
7/16/08 6:05 a.m.

Honey, would you prefer I spend all this time and money on other women?

jwdmotorsports
7/16/08 6:31 a.m.
914Driver wrote: Honey, would you prefer I spend all this time and money on other women?

Have you tried that line? Let me know if it works?

oldschoolimport
oldschoolimport New Reader
7/16/08 7:18 a.m.
jwdmotorsports wrote: My wife has less problem with cars at the house than my parents do. Wouldn't be able to hide anything at my parents.

same here. my mom bitches to my girlfriend about what I have at OUR house. I think she just likes me to stay in the dog house.

914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
7/16/08 7:22 a.m.
jwdmotorsports wrote:
914Driver wrote: Honey, would you prefer I spend all this time and money on other women?

It worked for a while. Once the honeymoon is over, the bloom is off your rose or whatever landmark comes around, she's like "My lawyer is better than your lawyer".

She's kidding of course, she knows I wouldn't cheat and I know she doesn't mind the projects.

Dan

nocarbud
nocarbud New Reader
7/16/08 7:58 a.m.

well, as luck would have it, i did not win the auction. Thank goodness for that... cause I got home and found out she sold one of my cars while I was at work! "you haven't touched it in 4 years, I didn't think you'd even know it was gone." The funniest thing is that I didn't know it was gone.

jwdmotorsports
7/16/08 8:25 a.m.
nocarbud wrote: well, as luck would have it, i did not win the auction. Thank goodness for that... cause I got home and found out she sold one of my cars while I was at work! "you haven't touched it in 4 years, I didn't think you'd even know it was gone." The funniest thing is that I didn't know it was gone.

My wife knows that selling my cars is not a good thing. Of course if she got a lot of money I wouldn't mind too much. But then I'd probably haul something else home to replace it.

CoryB
CoryB Reader
7/16/08 8:31 a.m.
jwdmotorsports wrote:

I actually use a variation of that. I point out that project cars are cheaper than women and booze and they keep me home at night and on weekends (other than when I'm junkyarding or racing.)

If she's looking for me, she needs look no further than under whatever project is currently occupying the garage.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
7/16/08 8:45 a.m.
jwdmotorsports wrote:
nocarbud wrote: well, as luck would have it, i did not win the auction. Thank goodness for that... cause I got home and found out she sold one of my cars while I was at work! "you haven't touched it in 4 years, I didn't think you'd even know it was gone." The funniest thing is that I didn't know it was gone.
My wife knows that selling my cars is not a good thing. Of course if she got a lot of money I wouldn't mind too much. But then I'd probably haul something else home to replace it.

Yes...I'd view that as some sort of Karmic opportunity!

Woohooo! Project money! Thanks darling...

Clem

nocarbud
nocarbud New Reader
7/16/08 10:37 a.m.
ClemSparks wrote: Yes...I'd view that as some sort of Karmic opportunity! Woohooo! Project money! Thanks darling... Clem

You read my mind... This morning my uncle was telling me about a beetle with a chevy 350 transplant that a friend of his is selling, and it's very close to challenge pricing...

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
7/16/08 10:55 a.m.

I know a guy who bought an Oldsmobile Alero a few years back. You know: the one that looks like an insect from the back? He then bought another car so that he didn't have to put miles on the Alero. Then, he bought ANOTHER car so that he didn't have to put miles on the second car. He has a lot of vehicles now - but he's trying to cut back. (Maybe they're made of crack or something?)

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/16/08 1:36 p.m.

Interesting thing, I've learned is to balance things and to keep the house clean.

Last night I pushed the Fiat out of the garage so I could roll the cherry picker with the Porsche's engine on it out into the driveway. Then I pushed the Fiat back into the garage (luckily its pretty light) I then proceeded to make one heck of a mess on myself and the driveway cleaning up the engine (whew it was NASTY!).

The balance point is that I didn't bring that mess into the house and before I rolled the Fiat out, I setup the hammock so she can enjoy the sun a little after work, etc.

Before I showed her the hammock, she was grousing about how dirty I was, saying I looked like a homeless person, etc. (How many homeless people do you know that wear GRM t-shirts?) Once she saw the hammock and I told her I set it up because she mentioned that she wanted to lay out and soak up the sun, she thanked me and stopped grousing about how messy I was.

The next project is to put up the birdbath and the drip irrigation (mostly because I'm tired of dumping water on the ground and still having dead plants)

Mental
Mental SuperDork
7/16/08 1:45 p.m.
fiat22turbo wrote: ...How many homeless people do you know that wear GRM t-shirts?...

Depends. I was told if I brought home one more rusty car...

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
7/16/08 2:53 p.m.
confuZion3 wrote: I know a guy who bought an Oldsmobile Alero a few years back. You know: the one that looks like an insect from the back? He then bought another car so that he didn't have to put miles on the Alero. Then, he bought ANOTHER car so that he didn't have to put miles on the second car. He has a lot of vehicles now - but he's trying to cut back. (Maybe they're made of crack or something?)

I can honestly say that I have NEVER used the theory of "wanting to keep from putting miles on a car" as motivation for buying another.

It would be funny though:

Me: "Well dear, I purchased that rusty peice of crap there...so that I don't have to rack up miles on the other rusty pieces of crap!"

Her: "Get out of my house!"

Btw...I've already got the "get out of my house" routine...so I'm working on purchasing a grassroots style house ;)

Clem

Volksroddin
Volksroddin New Reader
7/16/08 9:02 p.m.

stripper's dont cost that much. just remember that you dont have to pay the're bills

porksboy
porksboy HalfDork
7/16/08 10:53 p.m.
Volksroddin wrote: stripper's dont cost that much. just remember that you dont have to pay the're bills

Only your own "cleaning" bills.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
7/16/08 11:24 p.m.
Mental wrote:
fiat22turbo wrote: ...How many homeless people do you know that wear GRM t-shirts?...
Depends. I was told if I brought home one more rusty car...

sounds like an excuse to shop over in nevada/arizona if there ever was one..

i wonder whats for sale near vegas

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
diBy4yIgqwsrEpLvQTtNHNbFRhIyStvAOujKRizsceNb9NqwZ0xsfatsiHqa0SxQ