1 ... 5 6 7
californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
6/4/20 7:57 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
bobzilla said:

I'm going to pizza hut for the lunch buffet. I will hate myseld tomorrow but I don't care anymore

Worth it.  Damn I love me some pizza hut.

Remember this?

I loved that show !

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/4/20 7:59 p.m.
Mndsm said:
RevRico said:

In reply to Mndsm :

Couldn't pay me enough to eat pizza hut or Domino's, or papa johns for that matter.

Burnt cheese on the edges is why I make a twice a year trip to little Caesar's though, their deep deep dish is just the right greasy cheesy goodness. Especially when they're doing bacon crust

That surprises me a little, because little ceasars I'll generally eat somewhere after generic frozen pizza. I've never had the deep dish tho. 

I didn't have one local to me until I was living in California. $8 hot n ready meat lovers was tough to beat for a quick snack. Remember, I was putting on almost 50k miles a year when I lived out there, so convenience had a lot to do with forming my opinion. 

In reply to Brett Murphy:

I've never done scrambled eggs on pizza like that, but I have been known to crack and egg or two onto a frozen pizza about halfway through cooking. I've been told it's an Australian thing, but in all honesty, I was just really high and really hungry one day and couldn't decide which I wanted to eat, so I combined them both to a pleasant surprise. 

I have since found that if you add the eggs late enough you still get a dippy yolk, and that really takes it to another level.

Or just cook a sunny side up egg and put it on a piece of leftover pizza, for a much easier to time meal.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
6/4/20 7:59 p.m.

is your "cringe pizza"  just a breakfast burrito with a thick crust ?

Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/4/20 8:30 p.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

If you mean mine: As long as you fold it and eat it like a civilized human being, it's more of a breakfast taco. 

We had pizza dough, not burrito wraps where I worked. You wouldn't believe how popular that pizza became on night shifts. Something about breakfast pizza after drinking at 4 AM was a huge hit. Which is not surprising, considering the first time I made it I was seriously hung over.

barefootskater
barefootskater SuperDork
6/4/20 10:25 p.m.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
6/4/20 10:54 p.m.

On pizza : While I'm a fan of a local pizza joint mostly I would never eat a deep dish pizza. Too much dough for me. I will on the other hand grab a thin and crispy from lil ceasers if I'm hungry and broke! We also make flatbread pizzas at home. My wife doesn't like tomato sauce so it works for us too make our own!

on spaghetti: my sauce always has onion, green pepper, banana pepper and diced garlic. Also very meaty I do not like runny sauce. I want my sauce thick so it lays on my noodles. I do not mix the stuff together with the noodles in a pan. Noodles go on a plate and sauce goes on top.

im a heathen and don't like fancy sauces or any sauce that isn't tomato based. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/4/20 11:10 p.m.

So, talking about pasta again, does anyone have any comments on bronze die pasta Vs teflon coated dies?

For those that don't know, the bronze die wears much much quicker due to how abrasive the semolina is, so most companies have gone to teflon coated.  However, due to the bronze not sliding as well as teflon you get a much rougher texture to the pasta.  More roughness, more surface area means more pasta sauce gets attached to the pasta.

The few places I've seen it in stores it is maybe 20-30 cents more per pound than normal non store-brand pasta.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/5/20 10:05 a.m.

Related to my ex, I haven't bought a package of spaghetti since she moved out.  Rotini or shells or even elbow macaroni hold much more delicious goo easily.  Spaghetti needs to be managed, and the goo falls off.  Too much like work.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/6/20 5:58 p.m.

I really need a sour dough pizza dough recipe, but these Wewalka crusts are pretty great.

Left is ham, pepperoni, mozzarella, parmesan, cheddar, Swiss gruyere blend.

Right is queso and taco bell medium, left over taco meat, half has hot salsa and jalapenos, Mexican blend and cheddar with crushed tortilla chips. 

I may act like a pizza purist sometimes, but I know what I like.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/6/20 6:03 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

If it makes you feel better, I'd get down with any of those. 

In reply to Mndsm :

You're also a transplanted northerner - do you think pizza in the south completely sucks, or is it just me?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/6/20 6:44 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

Ive had...ok pizza since i've been here - but absolutely all of it has come from shops with other transplanted northerners. I don't think i've had a good true southern pizza. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/6/20 6:46 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Grits and sausage gravy on pizza?  We might have a problem...

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
6/6/20 6:48 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

In reply to Mndsm :

Nah man- sourdough, white gravy, crumbled sausage topped with proper cheddar?

...Anyone else's pants a little tight?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/6/20 6:52 p.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:
Streetwiseguy said:

In reply to Mndsm :

I've made something like it before. My heart says no, but my body, my body...is telling me yes! 

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
6/6/20 6:59 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Related to my ex, I haven't bought a package of spaghetti since she moved out.  Rotini or shells or even elbow macaroni hold much more delicious goo easily.  Spaghetti needs to be managed, and the goo falls off.  Too much like work.

Not allowed in my house.

I do the cooking, I understand how much better rotini,etc. holds sauce but I get bitched at for using them.

The wife unit claims that "spaghetti tastes different than macaroni or rotini". Not it bloody well doesn't, it's the same stuff, just in a different shape.

I don't argue though, I'd rather be happy than correct.

6/6/20 7:32 p.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Mndsm :

You're also a transplanted northerner - do you think pizza in the south completely sucks, or is it just me?

Go to where the people from NY live. I can find good pizza around Raleigh, NC, but usually the people that own these joints aren't Southern.

6/6/20 7:34 p.m.
ShawnG said:

The wife unit claims that "spaghetti tastes different than macaroni or rotini". Not it bloody well doesn't, it's the same stuff, just in a different shape.

It certainly has a different texture. Thinner pasta (like angel hair) also seems to get saltier than thicker pasta when both are cooked in water with the same salinity. 

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/7/20 11:23 a.m.
MadScientistMatt said:
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) said:

If you've not tried grilled halloumi cheese before, try it. It's versatile: you can marinade it in things, rub it with herbs and spices. Think of it as a chicken breast and go to town.

Where do you get that stuff? I first found out about it on a cooking show where the chef was talking about how he was going to make a grilled cheese - and it turned out he meant exactly that. But I haven't figured out where to buy it.

The Whole Foods by me carries it. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/7/20 11:29 a.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:
Streetwiseguy said:

In reply to Mndsm :

Only the people who eat that on a regular basis.

(because they gettin' fat)

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/7/20 12:02 p.m.
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) said:
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Mndsm :

Go to where the people from NY live. I can find good pizza around Raleigh, NC, but usually the people that own these joints aren't Southern.

There's 2 nearby places that claim to be NY pizza, and I'd believe the owner of one likely is from there based on accent & persona, but they're still only meh pizza. I actually prefer their lasagna though, it's damn good. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/7/20 12:12 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

I use this recipe for sourdough pizza crust from the King Arthur flour website. I really like their products, and the fact that they are employee-owned.

From last night, these are my first thin crust pizzas, made using the above recipe.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/7/20 12:51 p.m.

Maybe we can use this thread as a source of healing.  There are many different kinds of pizza, but we all seem to agree that we like pizza.

Make the connection? 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/8/20 5:18 a.m.
RevRico said:
Mndsm said:
RevRico said:

In reply to Mndsm :

Couldn't pay me enough to eat pizza hut or Domino's, or papa johns for that matter.

Burnt cheese on the edges is why I make a twice a year trip to little Caesar's though, their deep deep dish is just the right greasy cheesy goodness. Especially when they're doing bacon crust

That surprises me a little, because little ceasars I'll generally eat somewhere after generic frozen pizza. I've never had the deep dish tho. 

I didn't have one local to me until I was living in California. $8 hot n ready meat lovers was tough to beat for a quick snack. Remember, I was putting on almost 50k miles a year when I lived out there, so convenience had a lot to do with forming my opinion. 

In reply to Brett Murphy:

I've never done scrambled eggs on pizza like that, but I have been known to crack and egg or two onto a frozen pizza about halfway through cooking. I've been told it's an Australian thing, but in all honesty, I was just really high and really hungry one day and couldn't decide which I wanted to eat, so I combined them both to a pleasant surprise. 

I have since found that if you add the eggs late enough you still get a dippy yolk, and that really takes it to another level.

Or just cook a sunny side up egg and put it on a piece of leftover pizza, for a much easier to time meal.

Oh man, it looks my favorite pizza place back in Tulsa has taken their pizza with sunny-side up eggs off the menu.

It was like capicola, speck, mozz, eggs and few other things I can't remember. DELICIOUS!

I'm also with the previously stated position, put whatever the hell you like on pizza. Who cares if it's authentic? It's perfectly OK to appreciate a classic Margehrita pizza, and also like some wild combination you come up with.

Now I want to order an "italian pizza." I know, that sounds silly. But think about a great italian deli sandwich, but now on a pizza. 

I'm going to work on this, you can vote for me later.

1 ... 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QnWAAlmDUwfbklsv58F7Ts0wClcRf8kyzxG231TgcS059usqb5Z16CWqlv6ogJW1