1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 30
1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
10/30/21 11:29 a.m.

I firmly believe that if you have decided to "break the rules," to "violate policy"--it is best, indeed more honorable, to break them in a way that leaves absolutely no doubt as to the certainty of the violation. 

And because everything is better with memes:

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Femilysquotes.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F04%2FKnow-the-rules-well-so-you-can-break-them-effectively..jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/30/21 12:53 p.m.
jgrewe said:

I used to own an equipment rental company. I don't know if I came up with this or heard it and adopted it as my own because it is so true.

"Make something idiot proof and someone will build a better idiot."

Douglas Adams had, in one of his Hitch Hiker's books, wrote that the problem with making something completely foolproof is that you invariably will underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Different concept but same end result.

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
10/30/21 6:19 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Since I've read everything from Douglas Adams that would explain the train of thought.  Besides the Hitch Hikers Guide five book trilogy, I loved his book of essays called "Last Chance to See" on endangered species.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
11/4/21 7:12 a.m.

"Watching from afar, my favorite part of your racing career is when you decided to stop worrying about classing and focused on building a car to scare yourself." - My friend Dylan.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
11/10/21 5:15 p.m.

"The preblem is, I want him to run it to 7 because it has a big cam, but the tach only reads to 6. So i told him to run it to 6, count to 1 and then shift." Dr. Tune'Em All

Buck Futter
Buck Futter SuperDork
11/10/21 10:13 p.m.

"Give me the chance of a lifetime, and I'll show a lifetime of chances."

CJ (FS)
CJ (FS) GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/10/21 11:12 p.m.

Stepson took a materials class in college and the prof provided this bit of gold:  "There are two kinds of concrete.  Concrete that is cracked and concrete that is going to be cracked."

This applies to an amazing number of things.  In my former IT job - "There are two kinds of computers.  Computers that are broken and computers that are going to be broken."

I could go on for hours wink

SaltyDog
SaltyDog Dork
11/12/21 6:10 p.m.

"If eating vegan/vegetarian is so good, why do they try to make that crap taste like meat?!?"

Me, just now, watching Food Network.

kazoospec
kazoospec PowerDork
11/13/21 9:07 a.m.

"Never fight a guy who works at a tire store". 

Me, to myself, after finishing putting on my second set of snow tires.

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
11/14/21 7:14 a.m.

"If she drives an Altima, she belongs to the streets"

Pete. (l33t FS)
11/14/21 7:31 a.m.
SaltyDog said:

"If eating vegan/vegetarian is so good, why do they try to make that crap taste like meat?!?"

Apologists try to make crap taste like meat.  Vegetarians happily eat things that are good while happening to have no meat in them.

Some of the best foods I have ever eaten were at this cozy little Indian restaurant, and they also happened to be vegetarian.  You want good vegetarian food, eat food from a culture that embraces it.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
11/17/21 11:28 a.m.

"Oooh, they keep the nice cars inside. That's why mine is outside." - Brian Scotto

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/17/21 11:54 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
SaltyDog said:

Apologists try to make crap taste like meat.  Vegetarians happily eat things that are good while happening to have no meat in them.

Some of the best foods I have ever eaten were at this cozy little Indian restaurant, and they also happened to be vegetarian.  You want good vegetarian food, eat food from a culture that embraces it.

Yeah. Ignoring the fact that I dislike Indian food, almost all of the imitation meats are terrible. They only make them because Americans are way too stubborn to even try something without meat in it. 

Seriously, my favorite foods are almost all meat products, but the hardest part of going plant based was not the lack of meat, it was the lack of cheese. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
11/17/21 11:59 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

I assume the lack of cheese means you are doing it for health reasons rather than personal reasons.  That sucks.

My veggie g/f tried being vegan, and that lasted until the first time she tried to make muffins.  Nope.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/17/21 1:16 p.m.
mtn said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
SaltyDog said:

Yeah. Ignoring the fact that I dislike Indian food, almost all of the imitation meats are terrible. They only make them because Americans are way too stubborn to even try something without meat in it. 

Seriously, my favorite foods are almost all meat products, but the hardest part of going plant based was not the lack of meat, it was the lack of cheese. 

The beyond and impossible sausages are pretty good. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/17/21 2:57 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to mtn :

I assume the lack of cheese means you are doing it for health reasons rather than personal reasons.  That sucks.

My veggie g/f tried being vegan, and that lasted until the first time she tried to make muffins.  Nope.

Yeah, entirely health reasons. No "need" for us to do it, but almost every single health metric improves by doing it. The ONLY thing that has ever gotten my blood pressure down. 

Now, that said, we try to do it, but pregnancy put a stop to it. We've had some attempts since then, but have mostly failed. Our diet nowadays is probably about 90% vegetarian - we had beef ravioli on Sunday and a little prosciutto last night, those meals were the first meat that we'd had in probably 3 weeks if we ignore one or two dino nuggets that we ate to entice kiddo into eating, but we just can't escape cheese and frankly don't want to. 

Also note that I'm saying plant based. Vegans can go fly a kite. Absolutely nothing wrong with honey.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
11/26/21 5:36 a.m.

A dream without a plan is just a hallucination

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
11/26/21 6:41 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
SaltyDog said:

My favorite dish at one of my favorite little eateries when I lived in Sacramento was their Nutty Burger. Exactly what it sounds like. Vegetarian patty made primarily of nuts and mushrooms.

Many people (myself included) commonly ordered it with bacon on it. This was recommended by the servers.

Crxpilot
Crxpilot Reader
11/26/21 9:19 a.m.

“A turkey is more occult and awful than all the angels and archangels In so far as God has partly revealed to us an angelic world, he has partly told us what an angel means. But God has never told us what a turkey means. And if you go and stare at a live turkey for an hour or two, you will find by the end of it that the enigma has rather increased than diminished.”

-GK Chesterton

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/13/22 4:55 p.m.

Lady, that the best you got? Then your best won't do. You're among wolves now. And these are our woods. - BJ Blazkowicz

Furious_E (Forum Supporter)
Furious_E (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/13/22 5:51 p.m.
CJ (FS) said:

Stepson took a materials class in college and the prof provided this bit of gold:  "There are two kinds of concrete.  Concrete that is cracked and concrete that is going to be cracked."

This applies to an amazing number of things.  In my former IT job - "There are two kinds of computers.  Computers that are broken and computers that are going to be broken."

I could go on for hours wink

Oh boy, I really ought to go dig out my notebook from my materials science class in college, it could easily add 50 pages to this thread. The professor had a propensity to go off on some wild ass tangents only occasionally relevant to the topic at hand. Definitely an engaging lecturer though, I tried to write down as much as I could verbatim. 

Here's one I was just thinking of the other day (as best I can recall the wording), for whatever reason: 

"I could make a pin out of a carrot, if I wanted to. If the pin breaks, whose fault is that? Not the carrot's, that's for damn sure!" 

Pete. (l33t FS)
1/13/22 8:03 p.m.

Impossible Burgers taste okay, but eating one back to back with a possible burger brought to my attention that they are nowhere near as oily/greasy as they should be.

This is probably for the best health-wise, but I wonder if one could bandage over it by asking for extra mayo.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/17/22 6:26 p.m.

"Speed, the Deep South contends, is harmful to the digestion, and the southern digestion, already corrupted with frying pig and debauched with Louisiana Hot Sauce, is sufficiently impaired." - Lucius Beebe

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/17/22 7:14 p.m.
mtn said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to mtn :

Yeah, entirely health reasons. No "need" for us to do it, but almost every single health metric improves by doing it. The ONLY thing that has ever gotten my blood pressure down. 

Try blueberries on some (healthy) cereal every day for a month. It may be purely coincidental but my wife read this was good for BP and mine has been trending lower since I started doing this four months ago. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/20/22 7:07 a.m.

"There is evidence in hand for the belief that the perverted intelligence of man will be satisfied with nothing short of his own dissolution, accomplished in the most scientifically elaborate manner, but, at one pause in time and for a few decades, his quest of confusion and discomfort achieved, quite incidentally to be sure, a measure of taste and harmony." - Lucius Beebe

1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 30

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ySg08Rw4gIjBUrT3ZllWeNbcpHeckU3P9e1htaq8s1kTgr1kmWzqAkRtqdlHITiR