1 ... 26 27 28 29 30
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/28/23 7:29 a.m.

Upon retrieving a black gob of infected debris from a dog's ear, "anyone want to frost a cupcake?"

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/28/23 7:23 p.m.

"He has the hairline of Jason Statham and the face of a Discord moderator." My friend's description of a Forged in Fire contestant

johndej
johndej SuperDork
1/28/23 7:41 p.m.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/28/23 7:48 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

Upon retrieving a black gob of infected debris from a dog's ear, "anyone want to frost a cupcake?"

My sister's (DVM) standby in those situations is "I'd eat that on a cracker!"

gearheadmb
gearheadmb UltraDork
1/28/23 7:52 p.m.

I went to the hardware store with my son and they had tons of hinges and latches and all kinds of crap on clearance for $1 each so I bought a bunch, like $60 worth. I said to him "Now I just need to figure out how im gonna store and organize all these."

He said "That's the great part, you dont."

BoulderG
BoulderG GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/31/23 11:48 p.m.

Came across these two comments on the internet today and thought they went well together:

"It’s a can of crack-addled acid-secreting razor-sharp poison-fanged worms; a hot flaming dumpster full of infected clowns: even that is giving it too much credit."

Crxpilot
Crxpilot HalfDork
2/6/23 8:08 a.m.

"Creativity germinates in indolence, and the cleverest people are often the laziest: they are always looking for an easier way. The easiest way is often the simplest, most direct, and the best way."

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/6/23 10:18 a.m.

"It will be much less awkward for all of us once Grandpa puts on pants"

Crxpilot
Crxpilot HalfDork
2/24/23 7:02 p.m.

"The danger of thinking in dichotomies and placing yourself on one side of them is that you become shaped by what you oppose and hate. You occupy the space left vacant by it, desperate to distinguish yourself from it in what often comes down to what Freud called the narcissism of small differences. If your opponents are for something, then you must be against it; if they reject it, you must embrace it. The relationship becomes symbiotic, and little by little, you become dependent on what you oppose."

-Christopher Watkin

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/24/23 7:10 p.m.
Crxpilot said:

"Creativity germinates in indolence, and the cleverest people are often the laziest: they are always looking for an easier way. The easiest way is often the simplest, most direct, and the best way."

Jobst Brandt was an ever-present d-bag on the rec.bicycles newsgroups in the 90s.  He did literally write the book on bicycle wheels, and had an interesting career history spanning bicycle companies (he engineered tires for Avocet, by recollection) as well as engineering work for Porsche during the 804/904 era.  (Oh MY did he have words regarding Porsche's struggles to put out all the fires except for the two biggest ones, rear engine and air cooling, because those were handed down from Ferdinand On High and could not be desecrated.  He noted that in the company car pool, 928s were taken first and 911s last)

He was as arrogant as the harshest stereotype of a German engineer, which made it annoying when he was right about things (which was generally the case: he WAS a very good engineer and analytical mind, after all) but also difficult to call him out when he was flat wrong.

Anyway.  He made a very good point about cycling "form".  The way you ride when you are dead tired, your posture and pedaling technique and everything else, is the most efficient way to ride, because you are no longer wasting energy on some theoreticals.  

He had a funny anecdote about riding some long distance (50 miles?) on a gravel road on the rear rim after having a flat...

EricM
EricM SuperDork
2/24/23 7:20 p.m.

MrSmokey
MrSmokey Reader
2/24/23 11:58 p.m.
Crxpilot said:

"The danger of thinking in dichotomies and placing yourself on one side of them is that you become shaped by what you oppose and hate. You occupy the space left vacant by it, desperate to distinguish yourself from it in what often comes down to what Freud called the narcissism of small differences. If your opponents are for something, then you must be against it; if they reject it, you must embrace it. The relationship becomes symbiotic, and little by little, you become dependent on what you oppose."

And you don't even realize it

Crxpilot
Crxpilot HalfDork
2/25/23 12:38 p.m.
MrSmokey said:
Crxpilot said:

That's true. When you and I hold views that are so entrenched they can't be questioned, that's a good time to step back and re-evaluate. "X is settled." "We all know X is wrong here."

Not that our lives should be muddy gray with no conviction, but so many instances we see and judge can be black AND white.  It's an interesting and helpful perspective to view life through. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
2/25/23 12:42 p.m.

Just thought it's funny - maybe it will be my first appearance doing my drunken HC.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
2/27/23 6:34 p.m.

Writer Guy: And they're all going to get in these barrels and escape down the River Of Questionable Physics.

Producer Guy: Oh, sounds exciting, but wouldn't the barrels just fill up with water and sink?

Writer Guy: Not on the River Of Questionable Physics they don't.

Pete. (l33t FS)
2/27/23 7:18 p.m.
Crxpilot said:
MrSmokey said:
Crxpilot said:

That's true. When you and I hold views that are so entrenched they can't be questioned, that's a good time to step back and re-evaluate. "X is settled." "We all know X is wrong here."

Not that our lives should be muddy gray with no conviction, but so many instances we see and judge can be black AND white.  It's an interesting and helpful perspective to view life through. 

Or "you believe X is right/wrong, therefore you must believe Y as well"

It doesn't work that way.  Makes for fine spittle-throwing talk radio tho.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/27/23 9:29 p.m.
NickD said:

Writer Guy: And they're all going to get in these barrels and escape down the River Of Questionable Physics.

Producer Guy: Oh, sounds exciting, but wouldn't the barrels just fill up with water and sink?

Writer Guy: Not on the River Of Questionable Physics they don't.

Script Writer:  Awesome we'll put 10 minutes of uninterrupted screaming as they go down the river.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
2/28/23 6:44 p.m.

"What do we need a fancy shop for? We do our best work in a parking lot." - Dennis Taylor

NickD
NickD MegaDork
3/6/23 4:00 p.m.

"Depression is eating a heart-shaped pizza by yourself."

Oapfu
Oapfu GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/6/23 6:53 p.m.
MrSmokey said:
Crxpilot said:

Therefore, the people who are rabidly Pro-<Thing> and the people who are rabidly Anti-<Thing> are all equally involved in "<Thing> Culture".

NickD
NickD MegaDork
3/19/23 7:50 p.m.

"An all-time record was established when a trigger-happy bad man descended from a Rio Grande Pullman, investigated the resources of the Nose Paint Saloon, shot up the bank and was hanged from The Tree all within three hours. Such economy of motion was universally admired even in an age innocent of the production line." - Lucius Beebe

Pete. (l33t FS)
3/20/23 1:13 p.m.

A: "What's THIS thing?"

B: "That's the new scantool we are trying out that we won't buy because Pete doesn't like it."

Pete: "Come on now, let everyone else try it so they can hate it too before you make a decision"

NickD
NickD MegaDork
4/21/23 9:17 a.m.

Gunnery Chief: This, recruits, is a 20-kilo ferrous slug. Feel the weight. Every five seconds, the main gun of an Everest-class dreadnought accelerates one to 1.3 percent of light speed. It impacts with the force of a 38-kiloton bomb. That is three times the yield of the city buster dropped on Hiroshima back on Earth. That means Sir Isaac Newton is the deadliest son-of-a-bitch in space. Now! Serviceman Burnside! What is Newton's First Law?

Recruit: Sir! A object in motion stays in motion, sir!

Gunnery Chief: No credit for partial answers, maggot!

Recruit: Sir! Unless acted on by an outside force, sir!

Gunnery Chief: Damn straight! I dare to assume you ignorant jackasses know that space is empty. Once you fire a hunk of metal, it keeps going until it hits something. That can be a ship, or the planet behind that ship. It might go off into deep space and hit somebody else in ten thousand years. If you pull the trigger on this, you're ruining someone's day, somewhere and sometime. That is why you check your damn targets! That is why you wait for the computer to give you a damn firing solution! That is why, Serviceman Chung, we do not "eyeball it!" This is a weapon of mass destruction. You are not a cowboy shooting from the hip.

Recruit: Sir, yes sir!"

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/25/23 4:27 p.m.

Stolen from the memes thread.  Truer words are rarely spoken:

TRADITION IS JUST PEER PRESSURE FROM DEAD PEOPLE

I have always hated keeping tradition for tradition's sake.  This made me understand why.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/30/23 5:03 p.m.

“My first record with Stevie, Texas Flood, took us only two hours to record. That’s all we did on that record. It was basically him playing his live set two times straight through. We got in the studio, we set it up, and I said, ‘Just play it like a gig.’ They went through about 12 songs, took a break, and a half-hour later did the whole set again. We basically chose the best of the two cuts, and that was the first record.”

- Richard Mullen, recording engineer

1 ... 26 27 28 29 30

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
20ztHoojkCQkjlrSVoxRUrFJUt5egSyXXeYSPGQDtSdiChZw1DVxpSRc1xAbUG2Y