1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 80
Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/23 8:03 a.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:
iansane said:

Judging from the size of the blocks, that's a pretty small space. Otherwise it looks like a lot of the tack rooms that I bunked in when I was a horseman. It would be a good upgrade from sleeping in the car, an empty stall, hay loft, shedrow, or under an awning or a tree.

I'm pretty sure that's sheetrock. If those are 4 x 12 sheets of rock, which is what they look like, that room is pretty big. Like 24' across the back wall,  somewhere around 36' deep and 28' tall. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/23 10:22 a.m.

In reply to procainestart :

Yes we went to see him last Saturday 

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/23/23 10:31 a.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:
iansane said:

Judging from the size of the blocks, that's a pretty small space. Otherwise it looks like a lot of the tack rooms that I bunked in when I was a horseman. It would be a good upgrade from sleeping in the car, an empty stall, hay loft, shedrow, or under an awning or a tree.

That's sheetrock. The room is 25x50x33-ish. New shop space I'm slowly moving junk into.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
3/23/23 11:08 a.m.

$350 clutch.   Damn thing costs more than the performance clutch in my race car.

Gary
Gary UberDork
3/24/23 9:42 a.m.

Powar
Powar UltraDork
3/24/23 9:50 a.m.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/24/23 3:57 p.m.

Gary
Gary UberDork
3/24/23 4:03 p.m.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/24/23 6:02 p.m.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/24/23 6:11 p.m.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/24/23 6:38 p.m.

Somebody posted a picture of some bacon, wrapped figs, I think it was early in this discussion.

I made some last night. Stuffed with garlic/feta cheese.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/24/23 6:52 p.m.

20171217_143157.jpg

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/25/23 1:04 a.m.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
3/25/23 7:45 a.m.

Gary
Gary UberDork
3/25/23 12:13 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

Actually, mine were bacon-wrapped dates topped with a fig sauce. (And the martini was Beefeater). laugh

At the V Wine Lounge in Palm Springs, CA

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
3/25/23 12:57 p.m.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/25/23 1:48 p.m.

In reply to Gary :

Thanks for the correction, they were dates. No sauce, though I'll have some ripe figs in a few months. 

They were good, but the roasted Brussels sprouts were better. After I pulled them from the pan (pictured) they got a honey-balsamic vinegar glaze. 

Gary
Gary UberDork
3/25/23 4:21 p.m.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/25/23 10:04 p.m.

From this morning's walk:

DarkMonohue
3/25/23 10:13 p.m.

Attempted to relamp a fluorescent fixture with LEDs today and was getting stray voltage with the switches off. I'm no expert, but this don't look quite right...

Oapfu
Oapfu GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/25/23 10:50 p.m.

In reply to DarkMonohue :

Same thing has been happening with all of the on-off switches in my house (built in 2001).  Good thing is they are easier to replace due to push-in/ backstab installation.  Bad thing is the wires come out when the plastic breaks due to push-in/ backstab installation.  I finally got a 10-pk of switches and I'm going to replace 'em all even if they have not broken yet.  The 3-ways seem to be okay.

grafmiata
grafmiata UltraDork
3/25/23 11:01 p.m.

First time wrapping a race car.  Kinda fun, kind of a PITA.  Have to wait until next weekend to finish it up.

MyMiatas
MyMiatas HalfDork
3/25/23 11:17 p.m.
DarkMonohue said:

Attempted to relamp a fluorescent fixture with LEDs today and was getting stray voltage with the switches off. I'm no expert, but this don't look quite right...

The screws should be tightened down so they are flush and then the outlet should be wrapped in electrical tape covering the screws in one pass. That is so they do not ground and give you that "I'm awake" zap of juice! 

Edit.  Plus that loose ground wire(bare copper wire) should be attached to the green ground screw on the outlet

DarkMonohue
3/26/23 12:26 a.m.
Oapfu said:

In reply to DarkMonohue :

Same thing has been happening with all of the on-off switches in my house (built in 2001).  Good thing is they are easier to replace due to push-in/ backstab installation.  Bad thing is the wires come out when the plastic breaks due to push-in/ backstab installation.  I finally got a 10-pk of switches and I'm going to replace 'em all even if they have not broken yet.  The 3-ways seem to be okay.

I'm not a fan of backstabbing (incidentally, I am pretty sure our specs prohibit it on anything our firm designs).  Anything I touch gets converted to side terminals.  Our place was built in 1969, but the switches are obviously not that old.  This seems like a standard case of contractor-grade junk doing what junk eventually does.

MyMiatas said:

The screws should be tightened down so they are flush and then the outlet should be wrapped in electrical tape covering the screws in one pass. That is so they do not ground and give you that "I'm awake" zap of juice! 

Edit.  Plus that loose ground wire(bare copper wire) should be attached to the green ground screw on the outlet

The screws aren't quite flush on the replacement switch since they are now actually holding down the conductors rather than just going along for the ride.  I am not generally in the habit of wrapping stuff in tape, but probably should start.

The switch body was grounded just fine; that copper you see is hot (you'll see black insulation if you squint), and it pulled clean out of the common terminal on the 3-way switch when the switch self-destructed upon removal from the box for inspection.  This was originally a three-switch way setup, now down to two, as I omitted the one in the garage years ago.  Tomorrow afternoon I will take a look at the other switch (has to be the 4-way) and probably replace it just on principle.  Almost certainly it's backstabbed as well, like everything else in this house.

I'm also reading now that DVOMs (which I was using) are prone to reading stray voltage picked up through induction.  Still, it's worth confirming that the rest of the circuit is intact and safe.  And hopefully I can then chuck the LED tubes in and move on to something more rewarding.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/26/23 9:33 p.m.

1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 80

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gZgq1TbpYlkQvH184Y3mLSWhkLPIo4gD1XzLVGqelZKMOALkI6b3jPhfHDoXpi6u