1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 29
Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/22/21 5:22 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

Random thought of the day:

Why arent 5 gallon buckets shorter and wider? Took a sharper turn than I wanted with 5 gallons of paint in the car and it could have been a disaster. Seems stupid to have something that's designed to hold stuff be so easy to tip over......

Harder to carry when full, because you have to hold it further from your body to avoid hitting your leg, and there is a larger surface area to build up a wave that slops stuff over the side.

All true and good points.

Maybe I should have said......why arent 5 gallons of paint in a less tippable jug.

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
4/22/21 10:16 p.m.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  A bypass around Deals Gap would be safer and shorter than the current road.  Then they could close it to two way traffic and run the Dragon along the same lines as the Nurburgring.   It would be awesome!

j_tso
j_tso Reader
4/23/21 9:36 p.m.

Has anyone ever made a brake pad bedding machine? I know brake parts companies have test rigs that can mount a disk on a motorized hub, but what about on the car as a service?

I was watching this Wheeler Dealers clip and probably unrelated episodes of The Red Green Show, and thought what if there was something like that rolling road brake tester that had a bit more torque. You don't have to do 70-0 stops, just keep the brake pedal pressed lightly and let them build heat through friction. There would have to be a safety switch in case the pedal was pushed down too hard, and a pretty robust dust collector.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
4/23/21 10:31 p.m.

In reply to j_tso :

Your idea only addresses 1/2 of the issue. You are not only finishing the pad surface, you are also depositing a layer of pad material onto the disc itself during pad bedding. That layer on the disc is critical to the function.

j_tso
j_tso Reader
4/23/21 11:26 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Is compound transfer dependent on heat or pressure or both?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/24/21 11:12 a.m.

In reply to j_tso :

Mostly heat.

You wreck a lot of it on cold braking, though, grinding it all back off.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
4/27/21 2:52 p.m.

When you see a picture of something in space that is 100 light years away it's a picture of the past.  The light in that picture took 100 years to get here so what ever you see in the pic happened 100 years ago and may or may not exist anymore.

This is why my time travel machine failed, I traveled back to 1952 but the earth wasn't there and I ended up out in space.  

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/5/21 1:31 p.m.

A rather morbid thought today, based on TV that I've been watching: Most scenes involving death seem to be portrayed/directed by actors/directors that have never actually seen someone die. 

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
5/5/21 1:41 p.m.
mtn said:

A rather morbid thought today, based on TV that I've been watching: Most scenes involving death seem to be portrayed/directed by actors/directors that have never actually seen someone die. 

The notable exception is Christopher Lee, who responded to Peter Jackson's acting direction by telling him, "Have you any idea what kind of noise happens when somebody’s stabbed in the back? Because I do.”

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/5/21 2:11 p.m.

Star Wars was never very good.

Neither was Harry Potter.

The two combined might be good...

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/5/21 3:04 p.m.
tuna55 said:

Let's add in a franchise thaqt was actually good.

Would the Ninja Turtles be able to live in the sewer system of the death star? Would Shredder initiate contact with Voldemort or with Vader first? Maybe the Brain does that part.

Someone write that screenplay. I want Casey Jones in a duel with Vader with his hockey stick fighting to a draw.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Dork
5/5/21 3:40 p.m.

Only twice in my life have I truly loved my job.  Once was when I was a wedding photographer - just a part time weekend deal - and the other is my current job, just an IT help desk position.  I consider myself to be very fortunate that I enjoy my job and future career path.  I know a lot of people don't have that.

E-waste bothers me.  Especially cell phones.  We're all holding tiny supercomputers and they get thrown away and replaced every year or two in many cases.  I wish there was a better use for old phones.  Like some way to remove the guts and make a small laptop from it, or raspberry pi-type computer.  

11GTCS
11GTCS HalfDork
5/5/21 7:38 p.m.

In the spirit of improved movie / TV show franchises:

Just once I want to watch a Star Trek episode / movie where whatever version of the Enterprise we’re portraying gets in a scrap and they unleash the berkeleying works on the Klingon / Romulan / Whomeveron attackers in an epic display of Starfleet superiority.   Unlike the typical “ shields are at 20%, Cap’n she’s gonna bloow” bullE36 M3.  devil

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/5/21 7:43 p.m.

In reply to 11GTCS :

I dropped out of DS9 halfway through the airing after they changed its air time to something I couldn't accommodate.  But Sisko took zero E36 M3.

Hell, watch the first episode, where Picard and Sisko met.  Avery Brooks did a great job of portraying anger so severe, directed, and controlled, that it practically made your TV bulge.

j_tso
j_tso Reader
5/5/21 7:48 p.m.

In reply to 11GTCS :

Whenever a starfleet ship unleashes the works it's usually in desperation to show how powerful the bad guy is, like in the Dominion war or against a Borg ship.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/6/21 7:30 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to 11GTCS :

I dropped out of DS9 halfway through the airing after they changed its air time to something I couldn't accommodate.  But Sisko took zero E36 M3.

Hell, watch the first episode, where Picard and Sisko met.  Avery Brooks did a great job of portraying anger so severe, directed, and controlled, that it practically made your TV bulge.

I normally can't stand actors.

That was some really good casting and acting. That timeline made a lot of sense.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/6/21 7:31 a.m.
tuna55 said:
tuna55 said:

Let's add in a franchise thaqt was actually good.

Would the Ninja Turtles be able to live in the sewer system of the death star? Would Shredder initiate contact with Voldemort or with Vader first? Maybe the Brain does that part.

Someone write that screenplay. I want Casey Jones in a duel with Vader with his hockey stick fighting to a draw.

OK I've been thinking about this. Dumbledore makes Casey Jones's hockey stick into a wand. Turns out he's one of those, you know, no magic blood but he's magica anyway things, and he the wand place dude tries to find him a wand but it ends up being the hockey stick. That's why he can fight to a draw vs vader.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Dork
5/6/21 7:38 a.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

I've got it:  Oroku Saki becomes the Shredder, where he learns to wield the force along with his bladed armor.  In a fierce battle with Splinter, who was a young Jedi padawan, he loses his legs and an arm, and then becomes Darth Vader, who brings balance to the force by destroying the planet TMNT, which is full of force-sensitive turtles.  Splinter fled to a distant planet and one turtle escaped - a young turtled named Raphael.  

11GTCS
11GTCS HalfDork
5/6/21 12:12 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I've only watched a few DS 9 episodes and that was quite some time ago.   I'll check it out.

11GTCS
11GTCS HalfDork
5/6/21 12:13 p.m.
j_tso said:

In reply to 11GTCS :

Whenever a starfleet ship unleashes the works it's usually in desperation to show how powerful the bad guy is, like in the Dominion war or against a Borg ship.

Hey, no fair injecting logic into my random thought.   LOL.   

Yourself
Yourself New Reader
5/6/21 12:33 p.m.

Random thought: Will fully autonomous cars have horns?  Someone would have to write the software to decide when to blow the horn if there was one. What would the requirements for horn blowing be?  I definitely do not want some computerized tin can to be yelling (blowing its horn) at me as I cross the street.

How do they keep te smell INSIDE the nail salon? I mean, i went to get a gift card for my wife, and walking through the door gave e an instant contact high. 

Im pretty sure they were painting cars in the back or something. 

Hell, how do the girls doing the work not get stoned?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/9/21 9:04 a.m.

I never realized how easy it was to hear new music until this morning. 

I grew up listening to classic rock, and the occasional top 40 pop. This was what my dad listened to, what my family listened to, and the kids at school listened to. I heard straight outta Compton because a kid bought the tape specifically for the warning on the front. I didn't understand what it was at the time, but hearing swears in music blew my mind.

Years later, I moved to a suburban community in Minnesota. That started the country music (which I despise) and strangely enough my exposure to punk music. There were a few kids with older brothers that listened to bands like rancid, the vandals, etc. Mtv was playing the offspring pretty regularly, and green day came along (remember when mtv showed music? Pepperidge farm remembers). But really, this was mostly pre Internet, so any new music you heard was largely the people around you. I remember in about 8th grade, a couple older kids managed to convince the bus driver to play a deicide tape on the bus. I never knew music could be that extreme. Metallica was vaguely on my radar, but that was about as heavy as it got for me. 

These days, it's pretty simple. I was listening to a necrogoblikon song (no one survives, if you're interested. The video is hilarious). On Spotify, and I just let it wander. That took me down some sort of weird goblin/deathcore/idk path and I ended up at a band called we butter the bread with butter. Ostensibly a German deathcore band, they defy description. I don't know any of the lyrics, because it's in German, and it's deathcore growling, but from what I read they're mostly really basic, almost comedic. Songs like dreh auf- which apparently means "turn it up". It's got lots of heavy guitar and drum breaks, but hints of German industrial aka Rammstein, and even into stuff like dutch hardstyle rave music. Weird and awesome. 

The point is, it was really easy for me to find that, and 1000 other weird bands I like. I didn't even have to try. Spotify was just like "hey, you like weird E36 M3, here's more weird E36 M3!". I don't know how we survived the dark ages. And these kids want to listen to lil yachty and cardi b. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/9/21 9:34 a.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

When you lived in Minnesota,  ever listen to the  Current, out of the Twin Cities? I drove through there and it blew my mind.  I never touched the dial in the hour and a half I spent looking for a gas station that was open at 2am. Independent radio at its best.

I had a guy I used to work with call me a hipster for going down rabbit holes on YouTubes searching for new music. I'm not sure he understood the modern definition of hipster. I can only listening to familiar tunes so long before I start to get board . I can only listen to your awful Nu Metal even less. (Christ, most of that stuff at it's best) 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/9/21 9:51 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

I did, but I have to admit I wasn't usually a fan. Indie music isn't generally my fun. Respect to the variety though.

1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 29

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hdJ22T7mCsfEHhHKlt8vGrKhk1e8fdvWMeAp1YBEEBmsVU8NhD3YAuRvAFsihO9j