1 2 3 ... 161
gamby
gamby SuperDork
11/15/11 4:28 p.m.

Hakosuka Skyline and Kenmeri Skyline:

and in true GRM spirit, an 80's reissue Packin' Pacer:

I got the Pacer and Kenmeri at Target and the Hakosuka was dumb luck--I saw a Hotwheels display in a supermarket and I looked for the helluvit. There it was--been looking for it for about 6 months. Nothing like a good $1.25 score.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
11/15/11 4:53 p.m.

I just found my '65 mustang 'Vert in that reissue, only now it is black and red on the outside.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
11/15/11 5:02 p.m.

I got the hakosuka at Walmart completely on accident. Found two, bought them both. i'd have bought all of them no matter how many.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
11/15/11 5:30 p.m.

In reply to mndsm:

I bought 2 of the Kenmeris. I'm not sure why I didn't look for extra Hakosukas. Maybe I'll pop back in later in the week...

Are they in demand on ebay or do you think they will be in the future???

porksboy
porksboy SuperDork
11/15/11 5:45 p.m.

This board is a bad influence on me. I thought I was over my hot wheels addiction for over 32 years. Then I started reading on here about you guys looking for them. Now when my wife and I are in a store I will slip away to see what's on the rack. I can't go in a grocery store without looking to see what's there. OOOH I remember that one, I'll buy it.

I went over to my folks and got my old. Carrier that is almost full. I found the Matchbox airport with a bunch of the planes too. I played with that thing for hours while they bowled when we lived in Libya. Ah the memories.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
11/15/11 6:04 p.m.

In reply to porksboy:

I think I'm doing this because of this place, too.

I'm not a collector, though. I just buy the ones I like every once in awhile. Whenever I'm in Target, I check to see if there's anything interesting. I lean toward the vintage Japanese stuff--stoked that the Hotwheels folks are into this category these days.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
11/15/11 6:30 p.m.

I got the Kenmeri, but I'm still hunting for a Hako. I've been looking for months. I got to Toys R Us once a week...

No, my name is not Todd Lerfondler.

LopRacer
LopRacer Reader
11/15/11 6:37 p.m.

Finally found the Kenmeri today at WalMart found the Hako a few months back, haven't seen anymore and I look everywhere I go. Also found a Red Datsun 510 variation and the Blue GT3 RS today.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
11/15/11 7:10 p.m.
Maroon92 wrote: I got the Kenmeri, but I'm still hunting for a Hako. I've been looking for months. I got to Toys R Us once a week... No, my name is not Todd Lerfondler.

Mine's not Ray Pingboys, either.

I tell ya what--I'm in the area of the supermarket that I found my Hako on Thursday. I'll see if there are extra examples left there. It took me forever to find this one.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
11/15/11 8:30 p.m.

I freaked when I Isaw them. Two vintage Skylines? In the same year?!?!

amiller34
amiller34 New Reader
11/15/11 10:47 p.m.

Link to a build thread by the designer of both the Hot Wheels 510 and Skyline, look at your Hot Wheels, you'll find Jun Imai on both of them. It appears he's the one pushing for the Japanese classics to get made. His 1:1 510 wagon build is pretty nifty too.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/20454-juns-71-510-wagon-and-72-620/?s=8efcb661109d8bd7ce0812afcab409fb

His wagon and the Hot Wheels would make a neat magazine feature, just sayin...

gamby
gamby SuperDork
11/16/11 11:28 a.m.

In reply to amiller34:

Wow--that guy has a pretty sweet gig.

Good to see Hot Wheels being that open-minded automotively.

Sick 510 wagon, too.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
11/16/11 11:31 a.m.

we need to get that guy to convince Hotwheels they need some Hachi Roku AE86 goodness in their lineup

sachilles
sachilles Dork
11/16/11 11:42 a.m.

My almost 3 year old son picked out that same skyline from amongst all the other choices at the store. Made for a proud papa.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
11/16/11 12:20 p.m.
gamby wrote: In reply to mndsm: I bought 2 of the Kenmeris. I'm not sure why I didn't look for extra Hakosukas. Maybe I'll pop back in later in the week... Are they in demand on ebay or do you think they will be in the future???

Possible. I have an obsession with hakosukas, that's why I bought those. They do seem to be exceedingly rare in the open, as I've never spotted any more in my travels. I'd probably buy up a good 5-10 more if I found them.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
11/16/11 12:33 p.m.
porksboy wrote: This board is a bad influence on me. I thought I was over my hot wheels addiction for over 32 years. Then I started reading on here about you guys looking for them. Now when my wife and I are in a store I will slip away to see what's on the rack. I can't go in a grocery store without looking to see what's there. OOOH I remember that one, I'll buy it.

Yep. I think Mattel has figured out a good portion of their market is in 20-40 something collector-car wannabes who grew up with these as kids more so than 8 year old boys who really only think of cars within a video game context.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
11/16/11 12:45 p.m.

I got a BMW M3 recently, I think it was the first Hot Wheels I've bought since 1968. I still have a couple of the original redline cars from back then, along with a carrying case full of 1960s Matchbox cars.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
11/16/11 2:09 p.m.
sachilles wrote: My almost 3 year old son picked out that same skyline from amongst all the other choices at the store. Made for a proud papa.

Godzilla eyes his next 2 victims

or

Good LORD you took them out of the wrapper?!?!?omfgwhy?

lol

madpanda
madpanda Reader
11/16/11 2:49 p.m.

My new HotWheels - this board made me do it but I'm not complaining since they are peanuts compared to the Miata this board made me buy.

Here they are free from their plastic aquariums and together with some friends:

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/16/11 3:05 p.m.
mndsm wrote:
gamby wrote: In reply to mndsm: I bought 2 of the Kenmeris. I'm not sure why I didn't look for extra Hakosukas. Maybe I'll pop back in later in the week... Are they in demand on ebay or do you think they will be in the future???
Possible. I have an obsession with hakosukas, that's why I bought those. They do seem to be exceedingly rare in the open, as I've never spotted any more in my travels. I'd probably buy up a good 5-10 more if I found them.

FYI for you poor souls unable to find the Skyline's. My local Fred Meyer has at least 12 of each one in stock. I just saw them an hour or so ago. I will gladly pick them up and mail them to you for cost.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
11/16/11 3:20 p.m.

You can also get the Caterham in yellow. Ask me how I know.

madpanda
madpanda Reader
11/16/11 3:30 p.m.

I have traced the URL of you photo sir:

from: http://mb-db.co.uk/ Cool site, but ultimately dangerous. I'd rather not know what's out there, it makes trips to Walgreens more exciting.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
11/16/11 4:06 p.m.
Javelin wrote:
mndsm wrote:
FYI for you poor souls unable to find the Skyline's. My local Fred Meyer has *at least* 12 of each one in stock. I just saw them an hour or so ago. I will gladly pick them up and mail them to you for cost.

I might take you up on 2 or 3. I'll check in tomorrow evening...

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
11/16/11 4:29 p.m.

You people have issues.

(says the guy with 6 copies of the V8 Corvair Hotwheel and a bunch of micro machines)

NickF40
NickF40 GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/16/11 4:58 p.m.

I want to know where my v8 corvair got to

I just picked up the Kenmeri but I had the Hakosuka for awhile now, was hoping for another scheme.

I picked up the ALMS M3, another 510 with a new paint job, ZL1 Camaro, DB9, a Pro Touring Road Runner and I had to, I felt a facepalm when I picked it up but Block's gymkhana Fiesta...hey it has lime green wheels!

1 2 3 ... 161

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
O3cWQt2TDlMJozXwp3mu6tV3K28D9ttzIDIZEPOJvMtNGDq44Mg5MQ53PpXNfxkY