1 2 3 ... 5
EricM
EricM Dork
12/17/09 10:10 a.m.

Greetings brothern,

I find myself in need of a new wrist watch. I was wondering if you could take a few moments and recommend a quality watch in the Sub $200 range?

A little about me to aid in your decision. I am ruggedly handsome and enjoy the outdoors. My previous watch was a Citizen Dive Master that was issued to me in the U.S. Navy after becoming certified in small boat (surface launch) water rescue and recovery nearly 22 years ago. It has finally given up the ghost.

I sail on my father's 31 foot Sailboat in the summers on lake Michigan. I drive a jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 as a daily driver.

I have no need for a true "dive watch" but would like something that says "expidition" or "adventure".

Thank you in advance for you advice.

Eric Mosher

cwh
cwh SuperDork
12/17/09 10:19 a.m.

Rolex Submariner- Oh, wait, under 200.00. Nevermind.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp Dork
12/17/09 10:24 a.m.

Well Before even reading your previous dive watch use I was thinking one of the Seiko dive watches. I prefer the "automatics" no battery and something about the fully mechanical self winders is appealing.

My "cheap" daily wear watch is an Invicta Pro Dive again its an auto (self wind) looks like an old Submariner, has taken quite of abuse and keeps ticking away. Seems to be fairy accurate as long as I don't go a day or two with out wearing it. Also it can be had for under $100 so its not the end of the world if I destroy it.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer Dork
12/17/09 10:26 a.m.

Nixon watches have a couple models under $200, real quality watch too

cwh
cwh SuperDork
12/17/09 10:28 a.m.

After my last smartass comment I got to thinking. Has anybody bought one of those Rolex replica watches? Yeah, the Chinese clones.

todd900ss
todd900ss New Reader
12/17/09 10:44 a.m.

I like these, light, durable & has an alarm for camping trips.

http://www.st-moritz.com/pages/products-models.php?family=Titan_II&dial=Black&band=Titanium

JoeyM
JoeyM Reader
12/17/09 10:45 a.m.
EricM wrote: I have no need for a true "dive watch" but would like something that says "expidition" or "adventure".

Depends how utilitarian you are. My watch is not a fashion statement. It's clunky, ugly, and I have been wearing it since around 1985. In middle school, I dented a metal locker with it. When I was a bit older, but still young and fit, I took it night diving in Puget Sound and climbing in the Rockies. We've both aged a bit, but the watch has fared far better than my body.

Nobody ever stops me to say, "Nice Watch", and I suspect that nobody ever will, but my Casio G-Shock is still the only watch I'll every need. Nothing I do outdoors or in the garage will harm it.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Dork
12/17/09 10:49 a.m.

A touch above your range, but this brand is being heralded as the up and coming collectors watch to get.

Jorg Gray JG1100

EricM
EricM Dork
12/17/09 10:59 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: A touch above your range, but this brand is being heralded as the up and coming collectors watch to get. Jorg Gray JG1100

That watch is Dead berkeleying Sexy!

I may need to rearrange my budget a little.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
12/17/09 11:03 a.m.

Seiko or their sometimes cheaper line called Pulsar. Go to their outlet store in Kenosha.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer Dork
12/17/09 11:04 a.m.

heres one called "The Tach" for $169, free shipping

wherethefmi
wherethefmi Dork
12/17/09 11:16 a.m.

G-shock they are durable as all get out and scream adventure

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
12/17/09 11:16 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: A touch above your range, but this brand is being heralded as the up and coming collectors watch to get. Jorg Gray JG1100

My personal soft cap for watches is usually around $150, but I may have to bite the bullet and buy a watch called the JG1100.

jg

TJ
TJ Dork
12/17/09 11:18 a.m.

Gérald Genta Octo Grande Sonnerie Tourbillion

Oh, wait you said less than $200 - that one lists at a little over $800,000...seriously.

I have a Citizen Eco drive - it is solar powered.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Dork
12/17/09 11:20 a.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote:
My personal soft cap for watches is usually around $150, but I may have to bite the bullet and buy a watch called the JG1100. jg

depending on your position politically, but The O has been spotted sporting a Jorg Gray brand watch, although his model is a touch more refined than the more rugged dive ready ones.

Flounders, do with this post what you will

EricM
EricM Dork
12/17/09 11:25 a.m.

This! http://www.seikousa.com/products/velatura/yaching_t.html

Only it is more than twice what I want to spend. yachting ain't cheep you know.

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
12/17/09 11:42 a.m.

http://www.jeepwatches.com

bunches of them....

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/17/09 12:40 p.m.

Do some browsing here: http://www.pmwf.com You'll see some killer watches at very fair prices.

We all have our own tastes, but in that range I'd look for a Seiko5, Tissot or Swiss Army. I have watches from all three and like them. Swatch has some neat, reasonably priced models, too.

The Seiko5 watches are usually gray market. I got mine from http://www.bodying.com, but their site seems to be down right now.

I have also seen great deals at amazon.com and overstock.com. No need to pay retail.

For neat vintage watches in that price range, check out http://www.coolvintagewatches.com/Cool/Cool_Vintage_Watches.htm

Also, any preference regarding quartz vs. automatic/mechanical? The quartz watches keep great time, but for whatever reason I prefer the sweeping second hand found on the automatic/mechanical models.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/17/09 1:06 p.m.

I have an Ironman that I've had forever. Kinda like the Casio suggestion. With a waterproof band, it's great for playing in the water and I can use it at the track. It's a more athletic look than most of the suggestions here, but it's form instead of function.

Watches are interesting things. 80 years ago, the cost was (at least partially) an indication of their ability to keep time. But with the advent of digital watches, that's irrelevant. Heck, my cellphone is kept synchronized with the network time. So now the only purpose of a "high end" watch is pure fashion. But guys don't like fashion, so the mechanical watches are stuffed full of features to make them insanely complicated. It's like the difference between a doll and an action figure.

My dress-up watch? A Swatch Blackout. Just like the one I wore in high school. Stealthy, classy and a lot easier to read than you might think.

mndsm
mndsm Reader
12/17/09 1:07 p.m.

+1 to Nixons. Absolutely bulletproof.

nderwater
nderwater Reader
12/17/09 1:14 p.m.

Ditto David's recommend for the Poor Man's Watch Forum. I'd also suggest taking a look at the "afforbable's" forum at WatchUSeek: http://forums.watchuseek.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71

For watches which retail below $500, there's no compelling reason to pay MSRP when they can usually be found for 25-75% less online. My favorite discount shop lately is inventoryadjusters.com - their web site discounts are good, but their ebay auction prices are often even better.

M030
M030 Reader
12/17/09 1:44 p.m.
EricM wrote: Greetings brothern, A little about me to aid in your decision. I am ruggedly handsome and enjoy the outdoors.

And modest, too.

audifan
audifan New Reader
12/17/09 1:50 p.m.

Casio G shock Cant kill them I have taken mine off and thrown it against the wall @ full speed just to prove my point to a snotty submariner owner! he says his is better than mine I said yeah lets see yours do this and live, END OF THAT DISCUSSION. you can get the solar ones that are linked into the atomic clock in Colorado, for less than 200 beans and you really cant kill it, I accidentally welded mine ( yes with an arc welder) still works. hit the wall, still works. etc etc etc,

EricM
EricM Dork
12/17/09 1:51 p.m.
M030 wrote:
EricM wrote: Greetings brothern, A little about me to aid in your decision. I am ruggedly handsome and enjoy the outdoors.
And modest, too.

LOL, that part was a joke

EricM
EricM Dork
12/17/09 2:10 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Also, any preference regarding quartz vs. automatic/mechanical? The quartz watches keep great time, but for whatever reason I prefer the sweeping second hand found on the automatic/mechanical models.

Thanks for the links. I have no idea What type I want, I haven't baught a watch in 22 years. Even that one was given to me.

I like the idea of the eco drives and solar powered ones.

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8fCmjVsr1OVHrWZjmeZGXBmaNDckt4RggYilo7UutKXXY0CXlnH93vfyPgdi4zBc