1 2
Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/30/22 1:17 p.m.

I'm looking for earmuff style hearing protection that I can pump some music into while I mow the lawn. 

Any suggestions?

Entropyman
Entropyman GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/30/22 1:25 p.m.

I just finished using the Bose Quietcomfort 45 during a flight and they were great! Comfortable, good sound, and noise canceling. They are a little spendy though.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/30/22 3:25 p.m.

3M Worktunes. Less than $50, they sound pretty good, certainly good enough to use when using outdoor power equipment, and mine have been through hell and back for 4 years and are still ticking.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/30/22 4:32 p.m.

Title fixed

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/30/22 5:02 p.m.

I use Cowin E7 pro's. Great noise cancelling headphones that do a good job of keeping th bad noise out and providing good quality audio. Plus they last about 17 hours per charge. Great for really long flights

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/30/22 5:27 p.m.

I just use over the ear headphones.  Works well enough for me, makes a huge difference when driving.

Trent
Trent PowerDork
5/30/22 5:32 p.m.

Another vote for 3m worktunes

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/30/22 5:37 p.m.

Another other vote for 3M Worktunes. Not that I've compared them to anything else, but I'm super-happy with them.

obsolete
obsolete GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/30/22 6:01 p.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:

3M Worktunes. Less than $50, they sound pretty good, certainly good enough to use when using outdoor power equipment, and mine have been through hell and back for 4 years and are still ticking.

This has been my exact experience as well.  The only thing I don't like about the Worktunes is that the single button interface can be cumbersome--single-tap to play/pause, double-tap to go forward and triple-tap to go back. Sometimes I end up not tapping fast enough or the right number of times and getting the wrong function. Otherwise they are pretty much perfect.

HotNotch
HotNotch New Reader
5/30/22 7:36 p.m.

Another vote for the 3M Worktunes.  I was using Galaxy wireless ear buds with regular ear muffs over the top, but they'd get sweaty and slip out and it was a pain in the ass.

Splurged on the worktunes and really like them.  They are also much quieter than the cheap harbor freight ear muffs I was using in the shop.  I have been using the Worktunes just as ear muffs in the shop the last  couple days just because they cancel more noise.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
5/30/22 8:52 p.m.

I have had great luck with some amazon cheapo's, "mpow h12" but they dont sell them anymore. They were about 40$, fit is great, sound quality is really nice and the noise canceling works well. I use them for yardwork primarily, it turns the big riding mower or diesel tractor noise into a minimal hum instead of a destroying my hearing.  And they have a helluva good battery life. 

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
5/30/22 9:12 p.m.

X4 on the 3M Worktunes.   I got mine as a Fathers Day present about 10 years ago (old school FM though) and I enjoy them for yard work.  I’m thinking of upgrading to the Bluetooth version but we have terrible cell service so I’m not sure how well the phone would stream.   I’ll try the aux cable out first to test it. 

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/30/22 9:16 p.m.
Entropyman said:

I just finished using the Bose Quietcomfort 45 during a flight and they were great! Comfortable, good sound, and noise canceling. They are a little spendy though.

For what it's worth, I bought myself a set of these Bose QC45s before some recent traveling, and it's possibly the best $300 I have ever spent on myself. They are expensive, but you get what you pay for (serenity on a commercial aircraft).

5/30/22 10:12 p.m.
pointofdeparture said:

For what it's worth, I bought myself a set of these Bose QC45s before some recent traveling, and it's possibly the best $300 I have ever spent on myself. They are expensive, but you get what you pay for (serenity on a commercial aircraft).

I have some fancy noise-cancelling Sonys that I use on planes, but they're a bit too nice (and expensive) for me to wear them for yard work with all the dust and sweat and everything else. smiley

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/31/22 9:46 a.m.

I use my 1More in-ear noise canceling while mowing. I can even have good quality phone calls. It's wonderful.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
5/31/22 9:53 a.m.

Worktunes FTW, very durable and cheap enough. Hardware department at Wallys mart $50 well spent.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/31/22 12:23 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) :

I suppose it depends on what your yard work looks like! I definitely wouldn't mess with them while wrangling around a push mower, but if you're the type that has 10 acres of grass and a cushy riding mower...

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
5/31/22 3:44 p.m.

I have some Sennheiser Momentum 2 ear buds (LOVE THEM!!) and some inexpensive HF hearing protection. I suppose you know this, but you don't just want noise canceling headphones as (#1) they don't work very well for this, and (#2) the loud noise still makes it to your heardrums (that was a typo, but I decided to leave it because it seems like the punchline to a Mitch Hedberg joke), causing damage. Any audiologist will tell you that you need to stop the sound from entering the ear canal. 
I know you appreciate good audio. The Sennheisers are great.   

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/31/22 3:49 p.m.

In reply to DrBoost :

This is not true. Active noise cancellation, done correctly, adds an input which is opposite to the sinusoidal pressure wave which reduces the amplitude of the pressure wave reaching your eardrum. I did a rudimentary experiment using radioshack parts, some signal generators and an oscilloscope way back in the day.

5/31/22 8:33 p.m.
pointofdeparture said:

In reply to Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) :

I suppose it depends on what your yard work looks like! I definitely wouldn't mess with them while wrangling around a push mower, but if you're the type that has 10 acres of grass and a cushy riding mower...

For your information, I have 1.5 acres of grass and a cushy riding mower! It even has a suspension seat. laugh

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
5/31/22 10:19 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

"Done correctly" is the trick. Many noise-canceling  earbuds/headphones are just pumping a steady mixture of pink and brown noise at a constant level to mask the peaks and fill in the valleys. 
if you get true active noise canceling, you are right, but the protection is less than pnc  

My sennheisers are true noise canceling, but wearing them (anc off) with noise blocking ear muffs is much, much more effective than anc. In my opinion. 

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/1/22 6:41 p.m.

Another + for 3m work tunes.   My only complaint is they are flammable if you don't notice they fell on the floor and welding slag lands on them... I got about 5 years out of this pair, and immediately bought replacements:

I got the Bluetooth ones for the replacement.  It's nice that to not have a cord getting caught in things while working, but I find that they do "skip" a bit of my phone gets jostled too much.  Might be my phone, though

Error404
Error404 HalfDork
6/1/22 7:51 p.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:
pointofdeparture said:

I have some fancy noise-cancelling Sonys that I use on planes, but they're a bit too nice (and expensive) for me to wear them for yard work with all the dust and sweat and everything else. smiley

I splurged on some QuietComfort buds for track car use and quickly found them to be great when working in the yard. The exception is with a string trimmer. They have survived over a year of Florida yard work (homeowner level). Cheap guy that I am they are worth it and I would buy again. 

I know you asked for over ear, just +1 for treating yourself

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/1/22 8:36 p.m.

UPDATE:

3M Worktunes arrived today. Decision was 100% GRM driven. 

Thank you!

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/12/23 9:52 a.m.

So I got a pair of the worktunes for Xmas.

Thank all of you guys for recommending them. Finally trying them out, can't even hear my grinder going, almost hurt myself with it. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
inlLPZgMoP7iPx7g0CkbzFl29w79RLXbhlgL8lvWagQOuDpSL5xLxngbLtzmOSxy