1 2
ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
8/19/20 10:24 p.m.

I'm casually considering a new backpack.  Looking for something good for day trips.  Hiking, exploring a city, etc.  Would carry stuff for myself and often for my son.  

• I don't know what features I want, but I think I want something pretty basic.
  • Can't see any reason to want an internal frame as my use is not that serious.
  • Would like medium sized - guessing around 40L.  
  • Hydration bladder section I am 50/50 on.
  • Budget: <$80 ideally
  • Most importantly: robust.  I don't want to have to replace this thing in 5 or 10 years.  I will sacrifice features & weight for robustness/quality.

I have zero idea what brands are good and what are not these days.  Any suggestions?

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
8/19/20 10:31 p.m.

I would have said a kitchen sink from Oakley if you didn't cap it at 80$.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/19/20 10:41 p.m.

I've picked up a few Ogios from discount sites (woot.com and meh.com, primarily) and they carried everything I threw at them for years.

In college, out of college, flying around for work, etc.  I ignored water bladders for a mesh side-pocket that allowed me to carry my 40 oz thermos.

They typically start at $100, but using the websites I mentioned I think the most i ever paid was $30?

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
8/19/20 10:50 p.m.

I've carried a "pak-pak",  as my daughter called it, daily for 20 years and my advice is get 5.11 for medium priced or Swiss Gear for a bit less.  There's a bunch of stuff more expensive but these 2 have held up well (zippers and seams are where all my others failed) for the money for me, and can be purchased at Target and Academy near me so if I do have an issue I can handle it locally and quickly. Also, my bags have gotten smaller over the years but a 40l is a good size for multipurpose use.  One advantage of 5.11 is they have systems where multiple pieces are designed to be mixed and matched and all attach to each other to customize your gear for your "mission".

Maybe one for all situations with an additional medium one that clips to it when your son is along. Look at the 5.11 RUSH series, you'll see what I mean 

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
8/19/20 10:57 p.m.

I have been happy with my REI Traverse 35.

https://www.rei.com/product/126937/rei-co-op-traverse-35-pack-mens

It was on sale for $70 when I picked it up and tends to go on sale a good bit.

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
8/19/20 11:20 p.m.

https://www.greengurugear.com/collections/bags/products/commuter-24l-backpack

I had one for a few years and used it on many trips as a carry on, as a work bag and even hauled groceries in it. Made in USA and great customer service. You can find them on Amazon for reasonable $$.

Ortlieb bags are great as well.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
8/19/20 11:28 p.m.

I like the ones with a bladder or a spot for one anyway because the pocket for the bladder is usually not as noticeable and just right for a handgun and extra mag

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/20/20 3:55 a.m.

I have 2 eBags products, a backpack and a large rolling duffle. They’re both built to the same quality point. The large rolling duffle gets a ton of abuse acting as my referee bag for hockey, and is barely showing any wear. 

With that, I recommend one of their backpacks that is currently on sale. Sign up for emails and you can get one of the colors (sage green) of the one I’d recommend for $42. I’m tempted to buy one myself as an upgrade, but can’t justify it. https://www.ebags.com/backpacks/travel-backpacks/mother-lode-jr-travel-backpack/117769XXXX.html?dwvar_117769XXXX_color=Tropical%20Turquoise&cgidmaster=backpacks

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/20/20 5:44 a.m.

Briggs and Reilly products have a lifetime warranty.  Likely beyond your budget, but I can say that they have stepped up and replaced products for us with no issues at all over the last ten years.  In fact, they drop-shipped a new hard case roller bag to our hotel in Rome . . . and the bag beat us to that desitination by a day.

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
8/20/20 5:46 a.m.

I like Osprey's backpacks. They're a little pricey but are super well made    . I like them because they have all the features of other bags but are more streamlined in shape while being light which makes them easier to carry more places. I have a Daylite Plus that serves as my go to bag. Holds what I need but still easy to stuff under an airline seat. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
8/20/20 6:03 a.m.
Ranger50 said:

I would have said a kitchen sink from Oakley if you didn't cap it at 80$.

I have one.  Love it.  Fits nicely on my back. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/20/20 6:37 a.m.

I recently watched a review for Alpine Threadworks packs.  While way over your budget limit, I like they are made in Canada by one guy who hikes, rides, etc... basically uses the products he makes.  Designed to be the last packs you'll ever buy and he does repairs. 

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/20/20 6:41 a.m.

Another vote for Osprey, although I have a North Face yavapai that has held up for years

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
8/20/20 9:09 a.m.

I’ve got the older version of this pack, and it has been great so far for travel and for hiking trips.  Seems they’ve added some bells and whistles, but it still looks similar to mine:  https://lapolicegear.com/diplomat-3-day-backpack1.html

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
8/20/20 4:57 p.m.
dxman92 said:

https://www.greengurugear.com/collections/bags/products/commuter-24l-backpack

I had one for a few years and used it on many trips as a carry on, as a work bag and even hauled groceries in it. Made in USA and great customer service. You can find them on Amazon for reasonable $$.

Its funny I have the same thoughts.  I have an OG Green Guru backpack that has been rock solid and is a super nice size for an average sized gentleman.  Have an Ortlieb messagenger bag as well and it treats me very well.  

I do have an Osprey Farpoint 55 that I was originally madly in love with but it just didnt hold up that well after 2 years of moderate travel.  Their guarantee is sort of BS - gotta pay shipping and 8 weeks lead time.  My Osprey bag is worn through on the side (gate checked it and it rubbed between my shoe and something) and has a blown zipper on it.  Would not recommend.  Its a lot of money for a sort of garbage bag.  But they do have the name.  

Ortlieb bags are great as well.

Subscriber-unavailabile
Subscriber-unavailabile HalfDork
8/20/20 6:04 p.m.

I second a 5.11 backpack.
I've had a rush 24  for about 10 years now and never had one single issue with it. Hard backing keeps it flat against the back,  Plus the molle strap system allows for many add ons.

Downside it'll cost more then $70, but imho it's well worth it. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/21/20 9:29 a.m.

I entered into this research about 5 years ago.  I ended up getting what I think is a gem.  It's a Field and Stream.  I forget the model, but it is considered an internal frame, but you can't really tell it has one at all.  It's just enough to make it not floppy.  Pockets everywhere and each one is sized well for my needs.   Each pocket is a "room."  Toiletries in one, bed in another, etc.

Since I was kinda new to it, I wanted to shop retail so I could put my hands on one and check it out in person, then I could buy it cheaper online, but I ended up buying retail in a Field and Stream store because they were on sale.  I have zero recollection what I paid for it, but I'm quite certain I wouldn't have paid more than about $75.

Carbon (Forum Supporter)
Carbon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/21/20 8:00 p.m.

All my 511 E36 M3 has been amazing. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
7/26/22 4:55 p.m.

Bumping this thread because I need a new work bag suitable for travel.  Must have laptop compartment, a few smaller compartments to organize things for accessibility, storage for a couple days travel, and ideally some way to prevent everything from sliding down to the bottom of the bag.  A specific easily accessible place for glasses would be kind of awesome.  Hit me with some suggestions.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/26/22 5:21 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

It doesn't quite meet all of your requirements, but I really like my timbuk2. I probably could get two days' travel worth of stuff in there if I didn't fill it up to the brim with electronics.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
7/26/22 5:34 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

I use a timbuk2 but it has no room for clothes. 

this bag is my dream bag for the short trips I do now. but price is eye watering. 

https://www.tombihn.com/collections/laptop-bags/products/techonaut-30?variant=40265572319421

if you watch this video it has an amazing glassesccase spot. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/26/22 5:44 p.m.

Big and Bigger. Apparently they have been bought by Samsonite and not as great return policy as they used to have though. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
7/26/22 9:43 p.m.

Ok, just some quick browsing and I have learned a few things:

1)  Maybe I just need some packing cubes to use my hiking backpack for double duty.  Although I feel like a dedicated laptop pouch is a must.

2) The bags mtn posted seem pretty awesome

3)  My hiking backpack has an anti-sweat thing, but I am not seeing that on any business bags.  Is there a reason for that?  Business people don't sweat?

noumanzia10
noumanzia10
7/26/22 11:37 p.m.

Why don't you try MI backpacks? They are perfect in build quality and have a good reps. I am using from 2020 . 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/26/22 11:50 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Whatever you go with, packing cubes - which seem super silly at surface level - are a relatively small investment that will slightly improve your life. I just have the cheap Amazon ones, but they are awesome. 

Edit: there aren't a heck of a lot of things I get fanboi-ish about, but eBags used to be one. I have a rolling duffel of theirs and a backpack, and I am over the moon impressed by something so incredibly boring I think I'm already asleep of boredom from the thought. And I have a LOT of friends and acquaintances that use them for work that say the exact same thing. 

THAT said, what I have heard is that since they've been bought, they're not the same quality. I am skeptical of that, at least for their old models (the ones I posted), but I am no longer a big cheerleader of theirs. At least not without this disclaimer. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QUiJI9ijIs26DLCVOlgRqBzQqz8oqXjNUE1xvphxUHfKB6wLPnTJfcadt3py9INY