Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
12/21/17 12:00 p.m.

Anyone have food processors they're particularly fond of? Baroness and I are getting one for the house for Christmas.

Leaning heavily towards Cuisinart. Trying to decide between an 11 cup model for $150 or a 14 cup for $200. Or if we should spend less money for a much simpler unit.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/21/17 12:03 p.m.

Bigger is better. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/21/17 12:05 p.m.

Bigger is better. You want the motor UNDER the processing area not beside. The highest current draw model you can find basically.

I'll go digging, Alton Brown had a episode of good eats about them that was very informative

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
12/21/17 12:19 p.m.

I dig my Kitchenaid. It's well made and has two bowl sizes depending on what you're processing.

Katya4me
Katya4me New Reader
12/21/17 1:00 p.m.

We've had a Hamilton Beach 14 Cup Food Processor for a few years now and very happy with it.  As a side bonus, the french fry blade works fantastically. 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
12/21/17 1:27 p.m.

We have a Robot Coupe RC2B from the 70s or 80s.  Its the bomb.  I pieces it together on Ebay (base from one guy, bowl from another, cutter from a third.)  

The Robot Coupe is basically the same as a Cuisinart CFP5, but has a pulse button and an identical, but chrome plated housing.  It also says Robot Coupe and has the French colors on the nameplate.  It uses the same accessories as a CFP5

I would buy a used CFP5 or CFP9 and never look back  Today's stuff is garbage by comparison unless you go commercial.  

Here is a link to one on The Bay  https://www.ebay.com/p/Robot-Coupe-RC2B-Food-Processor-Slicing-Disc-Blade/1637546048

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
12/21/17 1:50 p.m.

We had a 70s Cuisinart that was incredible but the plastics were finally giving up the ghost. We upgraded to a new Cuisinart 14-cup and it's been worth every penny. We've had it for 4 years now and it's performed flawlessly. It's got a ton of power and the 14 cup capacity is great. We paid $179 which is barely more than replacement plastics would have been for our old unit. My mom loved it so much we bought her one for her birthday later and hers is used a ton and is holding up great.

New stuff is not garbage - cheap new stuff is. These things are still very well built.

pheller
pheller PowerDork
12/21/17 2:16 p.m.

I've got a 80's Cuisinart DLC-7 PRO that I inherited from my Mom. Bought a new bowl for $30 on ebay. Works dandily. 

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/21/17 6:52 p.m.

This just in ......SWMBO 's Kitchen Aid professional 670 (15+ years?old) is the go to chipper shedder in this KITCHEN!!!  and the hits just keep on comin'  YUM!!!

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/21/17 7:05 p.m.

It’s really impossible to go wrong with the cuisinart pro classic.  It’s the OG.  Kinda like when you want a stand mixer you get a kitchenaid or you’re silly

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/21/17 8:01 p.m.

I've got a small Cuisinart that's about 15 years old and still runs like new, Worth every penny.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
1/9/18 6:07 a.m.

Canoe deleted 

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Reader
1/9/18 8:13 a.m.

quiet.  QUIET QUIET QUIET. I cannot stress this enough. I bought one a few years ago based on price & good reviews and ignored the reviews that said it was loud as crap. Literally cannot even here myself think when I'm using it. Feels like my bones are going to shake out my skin. Other than the small death metal concert it makes in my brain every time I use it, its great

84FSP
84FSP Dork
1/9/18 8:38 a.m.

This is relevant to my interests - I have a cheapy Oscar that is okay for really smalll stuff but takes like 5 runs for me to blend down my Indian ingrediants...

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
1/9/18 9:50 a.m.

My oldest son is 14 and big for his age.  He processes a LOT of food.

andrew08
andrew08 New Reader
3/9/19 9:41 a.m.

spam

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/16/19 9:31 a.m.
Beer Baron said:

Anyone have food processors they're particularly fond of? Baroness and I are getting one for the house for Christmas.

Leaning heavily towards Cuisinart. Trying to decide between an 11 cup model for $150 or a 14 cup for $200. Or if we should spend less money for a much simpler unit.

Bigger is better, but DW kind of got caught up in a "how many features can we get for the best price" thing when we replaced ours recently.

We have a Cuisinart (I'll have to check the model) and while it will do a lot of things, it has waaaaay too many parts and is quite fussy to use.  The bowl has a bunch of inserts of varying sizes, and it has this weird nesting thing for the input slot so that you can adjust the opening size in several unnecessary increments.

It seems to have plenty of power and capacity, but overall I'd rather have a simpler one.  The 80/20 rule definitely applies here.

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/9/20 3:03 p.m.

Another chopping canoe?

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/31/21 8:31 a.m.

Goat. Even if it isn't food it'll get processed...

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/31/21 9:23 a.m.

Ok, so I have one, and I even chimed in on this thread.

What's the point? 

I've used mine exactly once in 3 years to shred potatoes. It just takes up cabinet space.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
1/31/21 10:45 a.m.

Slapchop.

WonkoTheSane (FS)
WonkoTheSane (FS) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/31/21 10:53 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Yeah, they're great for hash browns for sure, we also make things like zucchini fritters & bread (think banana bread but with zucchini instead).  It's good for finely chopping basil for pesto, things like that.

But ours primarily it earns it's keep for pastries, biscuits, pie crusts, etc.  Huge time saver there.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/31/21 6:21 p.m.

Can't say I'm fond of it, but I have a kitchenaid one that works pretty good. Was like 80 bucks at Target. Came with a slicy blade and a regular blade. Cleans up easy. 

amerson
amerson New Reader
2/1/21 2:30 a.m.

We have a Cuisinart. It is a little pricey but very dependable.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QYPDhom6STDQNuqQv0hTKKQ2CYwbjKblKVCVMt5HzqDeBN5xmAkHhtApYbYha0c8